Who will win the west?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers will win the West. The only team that stands a chance against them is the Spurs. Mavs have no shot. None. I am saying it...calling it right now. Mavs have no shot.

I have watched several Mavs games over the past few weeks. The team is still soft both mentally and physically. They are a fun team to watch but they are not a contender.

yup. and the spurs have zero shot either. too old, too injured... and wayyyyyy too small.

the only team that has a chance against them IMO is the Thunder. They've got confidence from playing them last year and they're the only team with bruisers who can at least body the Lakers big men.

more than likely though, they're still one year away. i see the Thunder being like the Kings of 2000-2... they were the upstart team that took the Lakers to an elimination game as an 8 seed (Thunder gave them the same type of run)... they lost to them in the 2nd round of the playoffs the 2nd year... then added another piece to legitimately challenge the Lakers in the WCF and were robbed by the officials in Game 6 in 2002. Next year, with Perkins and probably one more move, that team beats the Lakers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. and the spurs have zero shot either. too old, too injured... and wayyyyyy too small.

the only team that has a chance against them IMO is the Thunder. They've got confidence from playing them last year and they're the only team with bruisers who can at least body the Lakers big men.

more than likely though, they're still one year away. i see the Thunder being like the Kings of 2000-2... they were the upstart team that took the Lakers to an elimination game as an 8 seed (Thunder gave them the same type of run)... they lost to them in the 2nd round of the playoffs the 2nd year... then added another piece to legitimately challenge the Lakers in the WCF and were robbed by the officials in Game 6 in 2002. Next year, with Perkins and probably one more move, that team beats the Lakers.

Agreed. I should have mentioned the Thunder. There is always a chance that they could somehow upset the Lakers simply because they are not scared of the Lakers with such a match-up.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
a 4-1 series blowout doesn't interest me and that's what that series is going to be.

it hurt the Suns because it decimated our team on the court. what Terry did did no such thing.

right... only problem here is the Mavs probably just gave the Lakers even MORE reason to try and humiliate them. Horry's move was one which took Suns players off the court. Terry's move bonded the Lakers together. The effect of those moves IMO are gonna have complete opposite effects. all Terry did was wake a sleeping giant last night to give them even more motivation.

I knew you were going to say that about the 4-1. Right now if nothing changes it would be a fast series. I won't argue that because I don't have the grounds. I'm a reasonable interpreter of the game. Although a lot of nba analysts are hoping to see this series now. I think you want to see intense rivalries. The mavericks won't shoot 36 percent for a whole series. but if it is over in 5 games so be it. I want to see an intense series where the mavs show some passion like they did last night.

I don't know about that other comparison with the suns.. they were two different situations. I just meant that you had a competive player who lost his cool. It happens. I think that was destined to happen last night. the last two games with the lakers have been extra physical compared to most games. the refs were really trying to micro manage, but that just fanned the flames. I'm telling you barnes, blake, barea, terry, have been trading words for like 2 games now.

this whole sleeping giant thing doesn't apply. the lakers are the giant. my favorite cowboys coach once said...if you want to beat a giant...you have to punch them right in the face. I don't buy into this fear what you say or do to the lakers BS that everybody else does. the lakers and phil jackson pretty much say and do what they want. and it works because they are respected. so I get that part.

However, I take coach ryan from the jets and jimmy johnson's approach. if you want to be the best you have to punch them in the mouth. don't go in kissing their rings. don't be their friends. that's what the mavericks showed me last night. at the very least they got their butts whooped, but they didn't go silent. good for terry.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this whole sleeping giant thing doesn't apply. the lakers are a giant. my favorite cowboys coach once said...if you want to beat a giant...you have to punch them right in the face. I don't buy into this fear the lakers BS that everybody else does. I take coach ryan from the jets and jimmy johnson's approach. if you want to be the best you have to punch them in the mouth. don't go in kissing their rings. that's what the mavericks showed me last night. at the very least they got their butts whooped, but they didn't go silent. good for terry.

Fear or no fear the Mavs are not good enough to take the Lakers in a 7 game series.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew you were going to say that about the 4-1. Right now if nothing changes it would be a fast series. I won't argue that because I don't have the grounds. I'm a reasonable interpreter of the game. Although a lot of nba analysts are hoping to see this series now. I think you want to see intense rivalries. The mavericks won't shoot 36 percent for a whole series. but if it is over in 5 games so be it. I want to see an intense series where the mavs show some passion like they did last night.

I don't know about that other comparison with the suns.. they were two different situations. I just meant that you had a competive player who lost his cool. It happens. I think that was destined to happen last night. the last two games with the lakers have been extra physical compared to most games. the refs were really trying to micro manage, but that just fanned the flames. I'm telling you barnes, blake, barea, terry, have been trading words for like 2 games now.

this whole sleeping giant thing doesn't apply. the lakers are the giant. my favorite cowboys coach once said...if you want to beat a giant...you have to punch them right in the face. I don't buy into this fear the lakers BS that everybody else does. I take coach ryan from the jets and jimmy johnson's approach. if you want to be the best you have to punch them in the mouth. don't go in kissing their rings. that's what the mavericks showed me last night. at the very least they got their butts whooped, but they didn't go silent. good for terry.

I think Horry "lost his cool" in the same way that Bowen always accidentally slid his foot forward so that his opponent would land awkwardly and perhaps sprain his ankle. IOW, I don't think he lost his cool in any way. He made a smart, calculated, dirty and ultimately successful play designed to create a furor amongst Suns players. It was probably even more successful than he had hoped for but the casual way he walked away from the downed player showed a person who was very much in control of his actions.

Steve

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Lakers will win the West. The only team that stands a chance against them is the Spurs. Mavs have no shot. None. I am saying it...calling it right now. Mavs have no shot.

I have watched several Mavs games over the past few weeks. The team is still soft both mentally and physically. They are a fun team to watch but they are not a contender.
I would agree. no chance. I will still watch though. they have a great player. if they can get other players around him to play to their potential(like they have at times this season) they can be a tough test. For me the mavericks have to try to match size in the backcourt. they need to play corey brewer and deshaun stevenson more. those other shrimps can't guard kobe and kidd can't guard artest when marion switches to kobe. it comprimises too much at the defensive end, so if terry and beaubois aren't scoring it becomes a dagger to their heart. terry will not play that poorly every game. he will have better nights, but either way the mavs have to match size for defense and rebounds.

The fact that the lakers circled this game on their calendar and put so much emphasis tells me they know what's up. not saying they are scared of the mavericks because they are clearly not. just saying they know the mavericks are going to test them.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, I take coach ryan from the jets and jimmy johnson's approach. if you want to be the best you have to punch them in the mouth. don't go in kissing their rings. don't be their friends. that's what the mavericks showed me last night.

they showed you that by... punching the Laker scrubs in the face? Coach Ryan and his boys didn't talk about Brandon Tate... they talked about Tom Brady... then beat the piss out him. Terry and Cuban talk smack about Barnes and Steve Blake. sorry, you want to make a statement, put Kobe or Gasol on their asses. anything else just shows you can't handle the team physically or mentally... which they can't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that the lakers circled this game on their calendar and put so much emphasis tells me they know what's up. not saying they are scared of the mavericks because they are clearly not. just saying they know the mavericks are going to test them.

you keep saying this but... of course they circled the game... they could bury them and get homecourt. that's what was up. I don't think they believe the Mavs will test them at all.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
they showed you that by... punching the Laker scrubs in the face? Coach Ryan and his boys didn't talk about Brandon Tate... they talked about Tom Brady... then beat the piss out him. Terry and Cuban talk smack about Barnes and Steve Blake. sorry, you want to make a statement, put Kobe or Gasol on their asses. anything else just shows you can't handle the team physically or mentally... which they can't.
that's right...excellent observation. because that's exactly what the mavericks have to do in the playoffs. remember the jets got walloped by the patriots 44-3 in what was supposed to be the game of the year in that division on MNF. what did they learn? they went in to the playoffs and did exactly what you said. they went right after them. and no one or not many...were buying into ryans talk. even the patriots didn't want to talk about it. funny how the tables turned.

the mavericks have to take that exact approach in the playoffs. just like the celtics have done. they have to be physical with the lakers. and they may have shot poorly and struggled to score last night, but they were physical and it was a very chippy game at every position. the last thing you want to do is worry about offending or upseting the lakers. in fact that is exactly what you want to do. make it tough as hell for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
you keep saying this but... of course they circled the game... they could bury them and get homecourt. that's what was up. I don't think they believe the Mavs will test them at all.

maybe so. I actually feel like the mavs might have them right where they want them. no one is buying into them. everyone is calling them soft. it's pretty bad when soft ringless guys are calling them soft. this team has a different feel to them from what I've seen. they have an attitude and edge to them that I haven't seen. I've watched them for years and this team is different. I'm not saying they are going to beat LA. Right now they obviously have to play a lot better just to get out of round 1. so I'm not trying to be a homer here.

I just like the physical play that I'm seeing from dallas. If they are able to score it will be an exciting playoffs for them.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe so. I actually feel like the mavs might have them right where they want them.

wow.

no one is buying into them. everyone is calling them soft. it's pretty bad when soft ringless guys are calling them soft.

pretty bad? it's pay for the course.

this team has a different feel to them from what I've seen. they have an attitude and edge to them that I haven't seen. I've watched them for years and this team is different.

man, I see nothing different about this team. Terry's always been a hot-head, getting suspended from playoff games... Stackhouse got suspended from playoff games for hard fouls... i just don't see it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the mavericks have to take that exact approach in the playoffs. just like the celtics have done. they have to be physical with the lakers.

that's just it... they don't have the players to be physical with the Lakers and THAT's where Dirk... as your PF kills you, especially against a team with the size the Lakers have. He doesn't have the ability to play physical... and truth be told, neither does Chandler. Chandler's a good rebounder and weak-side shot blocker, but he doesn't have the girth to control Bynum. He's a twig and Bynum's a bulldozer. So while they might try to play harder, they literally don't have the bodies to play physical. It's about more than hard fouls.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Mavs are 2-11 against WC playoff teams. They toast!

Further, the Lakers have matched a record so far after the All Star break that every previous team had at least made the finals. People may not want to hear it, but the Lakers are going to the finals. I can guarantee that.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
I heard you missed me :) Tough time for the Spurs. We haven't given up but is tougher now when we are just two games better than the Fakers. What a terrible season, we are only two games ahead of a scrub team like the Fakers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I heard you missed me :) Tough time for the Spurs. We haven't given up but is tougher now when we are just two games better than the Fakers. What a terrible season, we are only two games ahead of a scrub team like the Fakers.

Ha, tough year for a Spurs fan as well. Even the most delusional fan must admit that they have very little chance of coming out of the west. They may not even get out of the first round.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe so. I actually feel like the mavs might have them right where they want them.

Dreaming is free......no scratch that. Delusions are free.

no one is buying into them. everyone is calling them soft. it's pretty bad when soft ringless guys are calling them soft.

So....what does it mean when ringless guys are criticizing ringless guys for calling them soft?

Oh that's right.....nothing. Mavs are soft and will prove to be mental midgets in the playoffs again.

this team has a different feel to them from what I've seen. they have an attitude and edge to them that I haven't seen. ....... so I'm not trying to be a homer here.

Well....when you take off those rose colored glasses you will see that's exactly what you are being.....a homer.

Seriously, did you think anybody here would think any different? That would be like a Suns fan posting on the Mavs board, and saying "I am not a homer".

I just like the physical play that I'm seeing from dallas. If they are able to score it will be an exciting playoffs for them.

What physical play? I have been watching them too. Dallas looks the best when they are shooting lights out...not banging in the paint. Dallas and the word physical shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

man, if the season is terrible now, how bad is it going to be when that scrub team obliterates you in the playoffs to win their 2nd 3-peat?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
man, if the season is terrible now, how bad is it going to be when that scrub team obliterates you in the playoffs to win their 2nd 3-peat?

Arguing with these Texas fans is making you sound like a Laker fan. Watch yourself.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arguing with these Texas fans is making you sound like a Laker fan. Watch yourself.

i know... makes me sick to do it, but they're such freaking homers.

i'm still furious the celtics traded perkins away. they were my only hope for the lakers to lose. for a team who's window's about to slam shut, it was a trade of absolute stupidity... on the scale of the KT trade IMO.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

*cough*

one

*cough*

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was already obvious to everyone here that he is a Laker fan.

lol. just because i think you're team's a sham and the Lakers will win doesn't make me a fan of theirs. it makes me realistic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05