Why does the defense get a pass

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s like the coaching staff & players paid no clue to how Miami, SF, & even NYG contained the Rams’ offense. Just biting & biting & biting on every PA/Bootleg. 7 straight games against McVay.

same play over and over for 8 yards. Didn’t see one adjustment all game

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The defense has to get off the field, 9 out of 15 third down conversions is inexcusable, the Rams punted once, all day. How the defense coaches don't know how to copy another game plan like Miami, SF and NYG is beyond comprehension.

while this is true, the D did play a valiant first half. They got TWO fourth and short stops and forced a punt while being on the field for 23 out 30 minutes.

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The 3rd and 11 really sticks in my head and infuriates me to no end. Momentum swung on our side after the punt, fumble recovery, and TD. We had stopped them on the first two downs, then decide to play soft zone with our DBs giving a 10 yd cushion, along with Hicks looking lost in coverage. Boom, their TE gets an easy 14-15... Even the commentators (Jennings?) sounded exasperated as to what we were doing and calling it basic fundamentals to play bump and man coverage in this situation.

The whole world can see our weak ass zone and exploit it.. I don't care how talented (or talentless) your D is, the scheme flat out sucks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3rd and 11 really sticks in my head and infuriates me to no end. Momentum swung on our side after the punt, fumble recovery, and TD. We had stopped them on the first two downs, then decide to play soft zone with our DBs giving a 10 yd cushion, along with Hicks looking lost in coverage. Boom, their TE gets an easy 14-15... Even the commentators (Jennings?) sounded exasperated as to what we were doing and calling it basic fundamentals to play bump and man coverage in this situation.

The whole world can see our weak ass zone and exploit it.. I don't care how talented (or talentless) your D is, the scheme flat out sucks.

yeah. That play was galling. Even worse was the defense just upped and quit for the rest of the game at that point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue and it has been pointed out here before is that much of our D is older gap guys we don't have much young talent. Murphy is the one young CB, Jalen Thompson, Simmons. It's why I keep saying as much as I would love to go Wr I think we have to load up on defense in the next draft, we just don't have enough young talent on defense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
makes ZERO sense.

I want Vance fired. That said, what DC worth squat is going to come here knowing you’ve probably got not just a lame duck coach but GM too?

I guess Wade Wilson was kinda begging on Twitter to come back to the NFL.
My opinion is that Vance would rather give up long, soft drives than big plays and he is playing washed guys who he can count on to be in the right spot but are no longer able to make a play. I believe he is doing so to try and bump his numbers. But, I am biased when it comes to Vance so I might be seeing what I want to see.