Why I'm inclined to go back to Warner versus Dallas

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
earthsci said:
I don't have a problem with your stance Russ, or Shane's for that matter. I've come to really respect a few of the members here who have that stance, like conrad, but don't let it taint every (single frickin') thing that they say. It's more of a comment towards those that do. I hold Denny responsible for the state of the OL but I also think that he is the best coach that we've had with this team, at the very least, since Stallings.

This is a no brainer. Three more years and we will know.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Shark: How was the job securely his yesterday when the decision to start him was kept mum all week...all two weeks?

The job was securely his when Warner was incapable of playing.

Now that Warner can play...Josh has to be wondering how much rope he has to work with.

Josh idolizes Warner...and it's hard for Josh to believe that he deserves to start over a two time Super Bowl MVP.

Josh's humbleness is a great personal asset off the field...but it's a detriment on the field. He's either got to start believing that he's the best choice at QB for this team, or not. The coaches could have a major impact as to helping Josh believe that he is the best man for the job. Keeping the decisions mum and unsettled is not what's going to get Josh over the hump...not someone as self-effacing as Josh.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
DG has to accept total responsibility for this Offensive Line. What ever that makes him so be it.

He's clearly said the o-line is his fault at least twice that I know of. Why people think this means anything is what I don't get. They sucked before he said it, and they still suck.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that realizes that I'm not a certified psychologist (or even psychiatrist)?

People are seeing things that aren't even there and then promptly telling us how his psyche or emotions are hurt. Can we please stop with the amateur psychology?

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Am I the only one here that realizes that I'm not a certified psychologist (or even psychiatrist)?

People are seeing things that aren't even there and then promptly telling us how his psyche or emotions are hurt. Can we please stop with the amateur psychology?

Of course, you are correct.

But what is the fun of that?

The Shark

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

I sense a lot of sexual frustration in this statement...please don't tell me about it.

:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
DG has to accept total responsibility for this Offensive Line. What ever that makes him so be it.

I think he has admitted it's on him. I just wish he'd taken more action to fix it this year.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
To get back to Spanky's subject, I just want Green to choose a QB and stick with him for a while.

Denny is 8-8 with McCown, 0-3 with Warner, but I don't care. Play Warner. But don't start yanking him after a shaky performance. Same with McCown.

Make a decision and give the guy confidence. Tell him he won't be yanked.

McCown wins. Warner is a great backup quarterback and he better get used to it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Dennis Green deserves a great deal of credit for the talent he's brought in on defense...and for putting that talent in the capable, creative hands of Clancy Pendergast.

Green brought Messers Berry, Okeafor, Moore, Kolodziej, Huff, Macklin, Tate, and Griffith in through free agency or waivers. Green drafted Dansby and Dockett. And he drafted some real good talent in Rolle and Green (neither of whom played yesterday). These acquisitions are the main reason why the Cardinals won yesterday. We saw one of the most dominating defensive performances in Cardinal history yesterday...and Green should be applauded for that..
Yet he hears no applause from you. Newsflash Mitch - part of being a good coach is bringing in good players. It's actually probably more important than game coaching, dealing with the media, or treating players with the respect misinformed fans thinks they deserve. Case in point - How is Belichick's vaunted defenisve scheme doing with the Michael Stones and Duane Starks of the world?

What Green is doing with the offense is mind boggling. With McCown in the lineup the past two games, the offense has put up big numbers and shown significant progress.
Someone has ben watching too much Cardinal football. Yeah, those 33 points in two games, constant turnovers or near turnovers, and no running game sure do look like signs of an improving offense. Only in Arizona...

The ill-advised strategy to keep mum about who the starting QB is backfired in absurd fashion yesterday. Instead of keeping the Tennessee defense off-balance, not knowing what QB they were going to face...this seemed to fire up the Titans' defense even more than normal...and they obviously decided that no matter who the QB was, they were going to bring contant heat and blanket Q and Fitz the way the Panthers did in the 4th quarter of the previous game. That Tennessee defense was extremely well prepared and extremely well motivated. And had LB Brad Kassell caught McCown's gift interception and run it back untouched for a TD...we'd likely be talking about how the Ttians' defense won the game for them, instead of the other way around.
Let me guess - had Green told the world about who he was going to start to make a few fantasy nerds happy you would have been all over him for allowing the Titans to gameplan for a certain QB's strengths and weaknesses.

Green's got to take the bull by the horns, recognize that this strategy is hurting the team, rather than helping it...and make a decision.
Yeah, that strategy sure did affect the defense negatively. :rolleyes:

But you're probably right. It's not the lack of talent on offense as to why we're struggling, it was Denny Green's decision to not tell a few local hacks about who would start at QB as to why we struggled.

My feeling is this: the only way to get the most out of McCown is to build him up...he won't thrive in this type of a scenario. McCown is too brittle emotionally.
Right, since Green's Brett Favre comparisons and telling anyone who would listen that Josh would "light up the NFL" worked wonders for Josh last year. I seem to remember Josh not throwing a TD pass until Week 6. I'm hoping Josh graduated from tee ball a couple decades ago and doesn't need his head coach stroking his ego every Sunday for him to succeed.

Again - great post Walt. Nice to see you don't make any exaggerations or mistruths to get across your tired point.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I think he has admitted it's on him. I just wish he'd taken more action to fix it this year.

How? FA's? Drafting?

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm with

Skkorp and Shane on this. It seemed to me McCown missed a few, but at the same time, there were many cases he didn't have a chance to see squat.
Remember his big thing now is to try not to turn it over, he got yanked for that last year.
I don't know if Warner gives a better chance. I think he gets crushed. And with their D he'd be dropping of two to three yard passes if he gets time.
I don't like the drama. Pick your guy and stick with him as Skkorp said.
It's too unsettling for evryone on the O, especially the line, to not know who your guy is.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My degree

is in psychology. I work in a counselling capacity. How can I help?

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think

McCown wants to know what his capacity is, just like anyone on any job, and that Green believes he can do it. Just as anyone else would with their boss. Pretty simple.
I think McCown is much stronger mentally and physically thatn people think.I also think you need to know your job is yours.
FWIW.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I do

think Denny's covert QB game was a bit sad. They played us so that no matter who was in there, that QB would be running all day. They knew our O line well and put plays in to work it to the hilt.