Will AZ be prepared for a game the Panthers need more?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
my expectation:

a game like the Washington effort. Close game, back and forth -- decided by a couple plays.

Carolina faces New Orleans and Arizona back to back. Very big picture-- NO and AZ are pretty similiar statistically. Great passing attack, so-so running game, mediocre defense. After beating up on NO, Carolina may be looking at this game with a "been there, done that" kinda attitude. Maybe coming off of a little bit of an emotional high after bouncing back from the TB trouncing as well as winning a big division game.

The Key to the win yesterday for CAR was Peppers. If the Offensive coaches can see that and game plan him out it will be easier.

I still don't think we win. Their corners are nutso and we better hope Boldin plays if only to take Gamble or Lucas off of Breaston.

And Steve Smith scares the hell out of me. We will see what happens.....

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it.

I don't think we'll do bad at all -- we'll play like we did against the Skins, not like the Jets. I know Whiz will have them ready to play.

Carolina is a very good team. I can't wait to see how we do against them.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you guys really think that Carolina is that good huh? We have no chance in your minds'? Thats crap we weren't supposed to be able to beat Dallas, Buffalo either right? If we play well we can beat ANY team, should we be favored...no, but its not a lock that we lose either geesh. We have the talent we just need to show up and play well and it will be a game that we can win.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you guys really think that Carolina is that good huh? We have no chance in your minds'? Thats crap we weren't supposed to be able to beat Dallas, Buffalo either right? If we play well we can beat ANY team, should we be favored...no, but its not a lock that we lose either geesh. We have the talent we just need to show up and play well and it will be a game that we can win.

Too bad we don't play Carolina at UoP stadium. If we did then I would say yes we would have a very good chance to win it. However it's in Carolina. They play just as well as the Cards do when they play at home. Also lets not forget that the Cards historically suck on the road.

Not a good combination.

jamos14

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Another Panthers fan here. I am curious as to why everyone is "handing" the victory to Carolina?

I know that NO-ARI are similar teams (Great Passing Attack). However, they are forgetting one major part. ARI has a defense and NO has none. Adrian Wilson went to my high school, so I know what a freak of nature he is.

I see this game being decided by the running game. If CAR can get there 2 headed running attack going than it will help Jake & Co. loads. The running game will take pressure off of Jake and also open up the Play-action. Play-action passes allow Smith a little more time to find a hole in the coverage and he always makes big plays when allowed a little time.

On the other hand, if ARI can get Edge and Hightower running well, it will force the Panthers to respect the run and not drop 7 into coverage. Once NO became one-dimensional the game was pretty much over. Our pass rushers could take a Vee-line right for Brees. Forcing Peppers and the D-line to respect the run will really slow up the pass rush.

Heres to an injury free game

Panthers 20 Cards 17

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Another Panthers fan here. I am curious as to why everyone is "handing" the victory to Carolina?

I know that NO-ARI are similar teams (Great Passing Attack). However, they are forgetting one major part. ARI has a defense and NO has none. Adrian Wilson went to my high school, so I know what a freak of nature he is.

I see this game being decided by the running game. If CAR can get there 2 headed running attack going than it will help Jake & Co. loads. The running game will take pressure off of Jake and also open up the Play-action. Play-action passes allow Smith a little more time to find a hole in the coverage and he always makes big plays when allowed a little time.

On the other hand, if ARI can get Edge and Hightower running well, it will force the Panthers to respect the run and not drop 7 into coverage. Once NO became one-dimensional the game was pretty much over. Our pass rushers could take a Vee-line right for Brees. Forcing Peppers and the D-line to respect the run will really slow up the pass rush.

Heres to an injury free game

Panthers 20 Cards 17

Welcome to the Site!

For the most part I agree. However the Cards defense has been sort of Jeckle and Hyde on the road. I have a feeling that the Cards will struggle to stop the run and struggle to run the ball. That will doom them in the long run.

Panthers 24 Cards 20

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WELCOME Jamos14...

Since I call Charleston, S.C. "home" I know the Carolina natives to be friendly and very knowledgeable about their football team--its' strengths & weaknesses. Much easier to talk football with you then with Cowboy/Giant/Redskin fan who basically say, We're GREAT/YOU SUCK!! End of discussion.

While, I won't concede the game to Carolina, there is ALOT to over-come. VERY few teams play well on the road, the stats all say that travelling East is NOT a recipe for success, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you guys are playing very well. BUT then, so are WE! Hopefully, it'll be a close game and FUN to watch. GO CARDS!! ...AND PANTHERS (BUT NOT AGAINST US!! LOL)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad we don't play Carolina at UoP stadium. If we did then I would say yes we would have a very good chance to win it. However it's in Carolina. They play just as well as the Cards do when they play at home. Also lets not forget that the Cards historically suck on the road.

Not a good combination.

agreed. until they prove they can beat a good (or even average team) on the road, I'm gonna assume it's at minimum a loss, if not a blowout.

djshinodalp

Reaction score
First off, nice board and love the instant registration. :)

Classy fans as well. Good team, but coming over to East coast and winning at our home is going to be tough, specially if our defense plays the way they played against Saints.

Go Panthers and hope its a good, injury free game. Also, I hope Boldin plays!!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
First off, nice board and love the instant registration. :)

Classy fans as well. Good team, but coming over to East coast and winning at our home is going to be tough, specially if our defense plays the way they played against Saints.

Go Panthers and hope its a good, injury free game. Also, I hope Boldin plays!!

We have the talent to beat any team because good defense or not no one can stop our passing game if it's on mostly because Fitz can catch a ball even if he's covered he's open.

Lucky for you our QB does the best Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde impersonation ever and Dr. Jekyll loves to come out on the road, outside and on the East Coast, check, check and checkmate.

Honestly anything bad can and will happen to the Cardinals on the road.

If it's tied at halftime or we have the lead we have a chance, the longer it goes without something terrible blowing the game open then the more pressure will build on the Panthers.

We are surprsingly good against the run, I do not expect that to be a problem unless we're behind a good deal then I'd expect the yards to start racking up.

Steve Smith scares me, our own offense scares me and the fact this is on the road on the East coast scares me and to top that off Carolina is a quality team that will most likely make us pay dearly for the mistakes that are surely to come.

We play mistake free we probably win, JMHO.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
.....on top of that what are they playing for? Homefield advantage?

It's week 8 bro, we're 4-2, we're playing for a W like everyone else.... What kind of question is that?

Lets not kid ourselves, you guys have won the division

Wow! Thank you for crowning us, I honestly appreciate the vote of confidence but do you realize that it's week 8? Are we a game away from clinching? Did I fall asleep for 2 months again?!?! Dangit! Everytime I drink Tequila man.... Seriously though, If we lose and either SF or STL win, we're a game ahead, I dont think that makes us a LOCK. This is a MONSTEROUS game for the Cardinals

.... but like I said, you guys will just be playing for national exposure while our team will be fighting for if we have to rely on the wildcard.

I just dont get your logic that this game is purely cosmetic for the Cardinals and we dont need the win as bad as you.... As a Cardinals fan I've never been saddled with that one, lol. Thanks?

Good luck on sunday.

GO CARDINALS

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Nobody has brought up special teams yet, I will.

I think we have a huge advantage here and will take full use of it.

Cardinals- 27
Panthers- 24

I think it comes down to an ST play somewhere in the game.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage the Panthers have is the Cardinals are traveling to the east coast for an early game. That hasn't gone well not just for us but for every west coast team this year. IMO this is a game that will be won or lost in the 1st quarter. If we have to make a comeback I don't see that happening with Carolina's defense combined with their strong running game.

We need to take away their running game and make Delhomme beat us. I would put AW up in the box early and often with Rolle providing deep help on Smith every play. No one else on that team worries me as a passing threat. Warner needs to put up points early to try to force them out of running.

OP
OP
T

thunderaiden

Reaction score
You're going to have to beat us with the run, our coaching staff is going to put all our defensive resources into stopping the pass like we did against N.O. if you run for 80 yards in the first half that would be playing to our game plan, not dominating the ground. If you run for 2 TD's and 120 yards in the first half then you will have thoroughly proved our defensive strategy wrong, but you WILL not be able to consistantly travel the air. And from there its just a matter of our offensive... well more namely Jake Delhomme not screwing up 1 of his every 3 games.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember beating the Panthers in Carolina with some bad Cards teams earlier this decade. Jake Plummer and Damien Anderson beat them for us a few years back in what was a pretty good game.

I think Rodney Peete was their QB that game. We have sucked on the East coast lately and last year's game after bye at Tampa was probably our worst. It will be interesting for sure.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i've done a 180 on this game. The Cards win 27-17.You can put it on the board,yes. They will be more than focussed after their last debacle on the east coast. They've had 2 weeks to prepare and they'll be ready. I think we're giving Carolina too much respect. They're good but,by no means, can't be beat at home. Their last 3 home games have been Atl,KC,and an overrated Saints team. The Cards, along with Tampa, will be the best team they have faced this year. The Cards are playing well and supremely confident.They will take that attitude on the road. Delhome,knowing his OL is a state of flux, may be waking up in a cold sweat after seeing what the Cards did to Edwards and Romo. Let's just hope they don't sign Vinny as a backup for this week :D.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We let the Panthers beat us last year with Vinny Freaking Testaverde! We need to make sure that is remembered in the locker room and instill a little payback! :)

I am begining to think our team is even better than we think. We are so used to thinking good teams will beat us, it has become built into our psyche. It just may be time for teams to think about how they can beat a very strong Cardinal team. We are no longer the pushovers we once were. We lead our division and have beat some good or very good teams.
We are no longer like your fathers Oldsmobile. I say to the Panthers "Bring it on".

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
yet another panthers fan here. much better group of fans here than at other teams boards. you actually talk football and not a whole lot of idiotic smack.

anyway.....i don't see this game as being something that the panthers need more. this is a must win for both teams. with the new coaching situations in san fran and st. louis you might be seeing some huge competition for the division. both have really talented players (rams especially) and will be incredibly motivated and capable of giving you guys a run for the money. seattle will be in the toilet where they belong (i HATE that team) but the rest of you guys....very good and very scary. i think you guys should be able to finish the season on top of the NFC west. it won't be easy, though.

anyway, this weekend's game is going to be tough and the panthers know this. there are similarities between the saints and cardinals pass offense but that is where the similarities end. you guys have a running game....edge between the 20's is still a threat (not like it used to be but there is still a bit of gas in that expensive tank), and hightower is a powerhouse. imo, that guy is going to be one of the best RBs in the league once he gets the starting gig. i wouldn't count arrington as much of a worry, though (thanks for that arrington thread, it made me laugh).

cards defense and special teams are also a bit of a worry. of course i think that the panther O is more than capable of embarrassing that defense of yours but i'm a panthers homer...that's my job.

one thing i have seen that i will caution you guys on, lay off the "hurting jake" talk. you seriously have no idea how important that guy is to the team and how mean the panthers can get if they feel that jake is threatened or someone takes an apparent cheap shot on him. that bears game completely turned around after briggs had his late hit on jake and got both the offense and defense in a fury. you may not know this but if otah gets mad he grows to 12 foot tall and throws trains around. one time chuck norris saw otah mad and fell down in a corner and cried like a a little girl. true story.

panthers will win but it will be much closer than the saints game. i expect it to be one of those comeback wins for us. i imagine it being one of those games that gets my wife telling me to calm down and quit throwing the remote at the TV but results in a win at home (which is actually an advantage this year, not something we panther fans are used to).

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You're going to have to beat us with the run, our coaching staff is going to put all our defensive resources into stopping the pass like we did against N.O.

Every team trys this, it just doesn't work Fitz and Q make plays that are absolutely 100% locked down in coverage. Then what will you do about Breaston in a three wide set?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05