Will Fitzgerald's Number Change?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
That he'll remain #11. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a beer against the halftime get together against the Pats.

No worries. I don't really care that much.

OP
OP
S

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try and find the story where he states he'll get a new number and post it.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Fitzgerald will wear number 11 all year. The quote you're thinking of about changing numbers was a misquote. All he said was he won't buy a house until he makes the team. His number is not changing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
lrk27 said:
Fitzgerald will wear number 11 all year. The quote you're thinking of about changing numbers was a misquote. All he said was he won't buy a house until he makes the team. His number is not changing.

Thanks, LRK.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
lrk27 said:

Thank You!!!

spanky1

Reaction score
Here is the bottom line folks.......the league has approved WR's wearing a number other than that in the 80's if.....and only if, all the other numbers have been retired or are being worn by other players. Fitzgerald is not hung up on wearing a number that doesn't end in 1. He'll wear any number in the 80's that might come avaialable through an existing player in the 80's being cut!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Here is the bottom line folks.......the league has approved WR's wearing a number other than that in the 80's if.....and only if, all the other numbers have been retired or are being worn by other players. Fitzgerald is not hung up on wearing a number that doesn't end in 1. He'll wear any number in the 80's that might come avaialable through an existing player in the 80's being cut!

I don't think you explained it right. :shrug:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
2004 NFL Rule Changes
David M. Dorey
March 31, 2004
Rule changes have come out of the owner's meeting for the 2004 season:

There will be an official 15-yard penalty for excessive celebrations and it is in addition to the fines that players already receive when they have "choreographed" or multi-player celebrations such as Joe Horn's phone call or Terrell Owens pompom dance last year. The yardage will be marked off from the spot of the previous play or, if it occurs after a touchdown, on the ensuing kickoff.

Practice squads are now eight players, up from the previous five.
Headcoaches or any player may now call a timeout (no more piling on the quarterback).

A punt or missed field goal that is untouched by the receiving team is dead once it touches either the endzone or any player on the kicking team player in the endzone.

Wide Receivers can now wear jersey numbers from numbers 10 through 19 even if jerseys in the range of 80's are still available.

Teams will receive a third coaches challenge if the first two were successful challenges.

With the additional challenge allowed (providing the first two were successful) is what decidedly tipped the scales towards approving instant replay for the next five years.

Jim O

Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Here is the bottom line folks.......the league has approved WR's wearing a number other than that in the 80's if.....and only if, all the other numbers have been retired or are being worn by other players.

Only if the non-80's number is located in the 10-19 range.

C-MACK

Veteran
Reaction score
Why not keep 11? I think from a marketing standpoint it could be a gold mine. I mean when you think of great WR's with the #11 who do you think of? Nobody. There are a ton of great 81's 82's,......89's. Wouldn't it make sense to try to be the one great #11? I would think it could sell like hotcakes, and set him apart from everyone else.

OP
OP
S

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I am not crazy. Guess what, the story where he makes the statement is at some site called "Arizona Sports Fan Network". Wait, that's here!!!

It was from Fitzgerald's Press Conference, April 30th:

LARRY FITZGERALD PRESS CONFERENCE EXCERPTS:

I'm just happy to get out on the field. It's been a while since I've been out there.

(What do you think of Josh's ball?)

He throws an outstanding ball. Lot of crisp throws, you know, and gets it to you quickly.

(Have you talked to him much?)

Oh yeah, he helps me out continuously, teaching me the hand signals and some of the other things I need to learn …

(Is it tough going from the college playbook to the NFL?)

You know, I ran a West Coast offense in Pittsburgh, and my coach was an offensive coordinator for the NFL for a number of years. They're pretty similar -- just the verbiage is a little different … But the plays are pretty much the same.

(Are you concerned about starting?)

You look at the Minnesota Vikings a number of years ago - when they had all three of their receivers. Everybody was getting their balls. It doesn't matter who starts - but whose winning ballgames. You want to make the playoffs - and whatever it takes to get there you're gonna do.

(Your focus this weekend?)

I just want to learn. … so I can go out there and play my game. Learning everything … in terms of just lining up, knowing my place, knowing my assignments …

(How do you like that number 11?)

Oh, it feels good. It's not about the number.

(Sometimes pressure and expectations can be overwhelming. Confidence is important - what is your confidence?)

I feel very confident - I know I can play the game. You know I wouldn't be here if I couldn't.

But I also understand that the guys - veterans out here - they've been here for many years. And there's a reason why they're in the league. I'm just going to try to continue to learn from them, pay them proper respect. Respect the game. But also carry myself with a little confidence as well - because you're here for a reason as well.

(Have you talked to Anquan much?)

Oh definitely. He's been very helpful - all the guys are. They want to see you succeed …

(At what point do you settle down, and buy a house?)

When I change numbers … when I make the [final] roster.

It seems he plans on changing numbers.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/storypage.php?Story_ID=456&Category=cardinals

OP
OP
S

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe Larry doesn't know about the rule. Regardless, he doesn't seem too stoked about the number 11. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he is forced to keep it to keep the marketing folks happy after creating 50,000 Fitzgerald jerseys. :D

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Ok, I am not crazy. Guess what, the story where he makes the statement is at some site called "Arizona Sports Fan Network". Wait, that's here!!!

Smart ass :D

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
sundevilscott said:
Why was Keyshawn allowed to have his number prior?

When he joined the Jets all the WR jerseys ( 80-89 ) are already taken so the league allowed him to wear #19

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
sundevilscott said:
Do you know why he was allowed to carry that over to the Bucs?

When he got #19 they changed the rule barring anybody else but MeShawn to wear numbers in the teens.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you guys are nuts. 3 pages of typing.....about a guy's number? :doi:

:D

It must be the slow part of the football offseason! :)

C-MACK

Veteran
Reaction score
vince56 said:
you guys are nuts. 3 pages of typing.....about a guy's number? :doi:

:D

It must be the slow part of the football offseason! :)

AMEN MY BROTHER :beer: :beer:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When I saw this thread I thought: "Who in the hell is Will Fitzgerald?"

:doofus:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It's important - some of us need a new jersey for the new season. :D