Will the Suns pursue Abdur-Rahim??

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Over on ESPN.com it was just reported that Abdur-Rahim has decided that New Jersey is not the place for him... and this got me thinking....

How great would it be if the suns could get this deal with the hawks pulled off by Tuesday, and then immediatly be on the phone with portland and offer them our 2006 First round pick, and Cash for Abdur-Rahim... with our 4.9+ Million TE! If I remember right Portland wanted a first round pick for Abdur-Rahim and held out until they got one, we could even do a first and a second for him....

I think he would answer a WHOLE lot of questions about our front line, and bolster it better than we thought possible a few days ago.

My DREAM and I mean DREAM for the suns the rest of the off season, and one that I think could be VERY possible is this...

PG: Nash/Barbs
SG: Finley/Bell/Diaw
SF:Marion/JJax
PF: AMare/Abdur-Rahim
C: KT/Hunter

With Abdur-Rahim, JJax, and Bell spear heading the bench, The suns would be leathal, and again be one of the if not the favorite to win it all...

Why Abdur-Rahim would do it: He has said all along that he wants to play for a winning ball club, and what better way than a team that would need him almost as badly as the nets did. He gets paid the same amount, AND he gets to play along side Nash and Amare....It would be WAY fun to see him out there with Amare, tearing up the lane, they would lead the lead in points scored in the paint.....

Why Finley would do it: Finley also comes here because he sees a starting spot, and a chance to bring leadership to an already championship quality team

Hunter does it because he knows how much the suns Love him....and this would be the best situation for him.....

The suns would again look like geniuses and still keep both the lotto picks... If this is the case... I would much rather have this lineup than keeping JJ... IMO,

What do ya'll Think

Last edited:

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
im not a real fan of abdur rahim, he is not a winner. plus he would not fit our style of basketball, which will still be FAST PACED

I dont know why alot of u dont think the suns offense will be fast paced again next year. The one's leading the break were marion, nash , and stoudemire...nothing has changed in that regard. And a lot of you think that because we lost our two "best" three point shooters that we wont be able to space the floor. that is absolute crap. only reason JJ and Q were so good at 3's last year was b/c nash got them INCREDIBLe looks. Look for Bell and whatever other SG we get to nail threes just as effectively. actually, they will probably be MORE effective b/c none of them will be 3 shooting ****** like Q.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I would love it, but it's really a pipe dream. Sorry.

I agree. I don't think the Phoenix Suns would want to take the risk on Shareef Abdur-Rahim if he can't pass a physical, and I don't think he would want to be a bench player for any team. Who else has money to spend right now?

Joe Mama

asudevil83

Reaction score
its not totally impossible, and actually quite plausible.

the deal with NJ fell through....and that deal was Rahim for a first rounder/trade exemption. and the contract that Rahim would have signed is a 6 year $40mil contract. i dont think that that's too much for the suns to stomach at all and would most likely start at $5.2mil.

if this JJ deal is completed, the suns find themselves with a pretty heafty trade exemption. i'm not too sure about trade rules but they MIGHT be able to trade Diaw/2nd rounder/trade exemption for Rahim.

the JJ trade would amount to JJ+2nd Rounder for Rahim/Atlanta's first/LA's first. now THAT is a trade that i would LOVE.

Last edited:

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yes, but we have to wait for this stupid JJ thing to go through >:/

EDIT: by the time that this JJ thing goes through, rahim may already be somewhere else. ditto w/ finley.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns, if they got the two lotto protected picks from Atlanta, could even entice Portland to trade within the Western Conference by giving them the Suns two first round draft picks in non-consecutive years.

I would hope, however, it would take only one pick to get the job done but I'm sure other teams might be interested in him as well.

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
hehehe a three team deal: rahim to us, the 2 picks and diaw to portland, and JJ to the hawks.

asudevil83

Reaction score
cpatterson23 said:
hehehe a three team deal: rahim to us, the 2 picks and diaw to portland, and JJ to the hawks.

where does Portland sign? and where do the Suns find the garbage bin?

how about this instead?

Phoenix trades: JJ/2007 First
Phoenix receives: Rahim/Atlanta's First/LA's First

Portland trades: Rahim
Portland receives: Diaw/Phoenix's 2007 First

Atlanta trades: Diaw/First Rounder/LA's First
Atlanta receives: JJ

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
The Suns, if they got the two lotto protected picks from Atlanta, could even entice Portland to trade within the Western Conference by giving them the Suns two first round draft picks in non-consecutive years.

I would hope, however, it would take only one pick to get the job done but I'm sure other teams might be interested in him as well.

Portland jumped on a deal that only netted them a first rounder at first. i dont think that they are seriously shopping around to get the BEST deal for the guy.....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
Portland jumped on a deal that only netted them a first rounder at first. i dont think that they are seriously shopping around to get the BEST deal for the guy.....

The issue for Portland is that they may not want to trade Abdur-Rahim within the Western Conference.

That's why I suggested the Suns might have to sweeten it more.

I like your suggestion of Portland receives: Diaw/Phoenix's 2007 First, if the JJ sign and trade goes through. If I were the Suns I would never offer up the two picks they receive from Atlanta.

Still if the Suns had two give up only their two first round picks in non-consecutive years (if Abdur-Rahim is healthy and can fit the Suns style of play) it would be tempting.

Anyone know if he can still get up and down the court?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cpatterson23 said:
yes, but we have to wait for this stupid JJ thing to go through >:/

EDIT: by the time that this JJ thing goes through, rahim may already be somewhere else. ditto w/ finley.

By the time this "JJ thing" goes through Rahim may have died from old age.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
By the time this "JJ thing" goes through Rahim may have died from old age.

Agreed. I can't believe JJ's camp is too happy about the pending Atlanta litigation either.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait a second...

This is a "sign and trade", meaning SAR has to agree. I don't think he would.

1. SAR wants to be a STARTER. That's why he was so unhappy in Portland where he was either a starter or at SF where is he is far too slow to play any kind of defense. The Suns are dedicated to playing more defense, so KT is going to get most of the inside minutes along side Amare.

2. SAR is extremely unlikley to want to play second fiddle to another inside player. He fits on a Nets team that doesn't have a center who can score.

I'm very skeptical he'd want to come to Phoenix or that he would fit in if he did.

sunsfn

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Wait a second...

1. SAR wants to be a STARTER. That's why he was so unhappy in Portland where he was either a starter or at SF where is he is far too slow to play any kind of defense. The Suns are dedicated to playing more defense, so KT is going to get most of the inside minutes along side Amare.

2. SAR is extremely unlikley to want to play second fiddle to another inside player. He fits on a Nets team that doesn't have a center who can score.

I'm very skeptical he'd want to come to Phoenix or that he would fit in if he did.

I agree, SAR is not coming to Phoenix, and Phoenix does not want a slow s/f p/f that wants to start instead of Amare or Marion...... :)

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Wait a second...

Well said. I don't think the running style would be a problem at all...SAR can still get up and down the court. Like D'Antoni said, "Running is easy. It's what athletes do. All that banging in a half court offense is what wears down players."

SAR doesn't have a reputation for being a "bad seed"...(like Sprewell for instance)...but he has been known to complain if his role isn't to his satisfaction (like playing SF...or getting too few minutes). The Suns eventual #3 "big man" needs to be able to play a little center and a little power forward...to relieve Amare and KT...and has to accept the fact that he may only get 10 minutes playing time some nights.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Wait a second...

This is the thing... first, and foremost, SAR has said he wants to play for a winning orginazation, mainly because his name has synonomous with losing, he wants to be a winner...

The question begs, what winning team in contension has a starting spot for SAR, AND has the money to sign him....

lets go over possible destinations for SAR:

East:
Cavs- Just signed marshall, out of the race

Miami- Just got Walker, and Haslem

Nets- Obviously not happending

Pistons- Already Stocked at PF (Wallaces, Mcdyess, Ect.)

Sixers- Has Webber, and absolulty NO money

Celtics- Just got rid of Walker because they wanted to make room for Jefferson..

Bulls- A possibiilty, but the question is are they considered Contenders?

Wizards- Used all their money, and See Above

Pacers- Would seem most logical, but the pacers have no money, and pride themselves on Defense, plus with no money, would have to either have a big TE (which they don't) or convince Portland to take back Salery in Return (which they won't)

West:

Lakers- Have Odom, already Trading for Brown, plus they are believed to be spending a chunk of their MLE on Anderson

TWolves- Almost landed him before but talks failed when the two sides couldn't agree on finalized deal... Makes sense for him, but they may not be considered contenders.

Nuggets- Already loaded at PF, not looking for more

Spurs- Don't have money, just signed Obto (PF), and would have to convince Portland to take back Salery

Memphis- Not contenders, and had a rough go around the first time with the grizzlies..

Warriors- Not contenders, and already loaded at PF

Seattle- Makes a little sense, but already gets good rebounding from the PF position,plus they would have to figure the whole Radmonavic situation first.

Kings- Would make a lot of sense, while they do have a lot of PFs, none are as Talented as the kings, they still have the MLE, and could offer SAR a competetive team, BUT they are all getting older, and are not the contenders they once were.

Jazz- Not contenders, and they also have Boozer and AK47.

Suns- makes a lot of sense as well. Being on the team that is top 4 in the league, SAR would get atleast 30 minutes a game, and could even make a run at 6th man of the year. He could be the key to get the suns over the hump
at a very reasonable price....The suns have a TE and could offer portland the best deal.....

So from what My friend and I have come up with, there are 2 or 3 teams that have a real shot at SAR, and to us, it seems like the suns woujld be his best chance at contributing, and winning a championship,

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I agree, SAR is not coming to Phoenix, and Phoenix does not want a slow s/f p/f that wants to start instead of Amare or Marion...... :)

I have never heard for a fact that Amare would not be our starting center. I just know Amare needs more help upfront.

If the Suns could acquire SAR relatively cheap (say a first round pick, Diaw + exception or whatever works), the Suns could start Amare at C, Marion at SF and SAR at PF. Then KT could backup Amare and SAR (with hopefully even more depth upfront given by signing Padgeant and hopefully re-signing Hunter).

This is not an argument I'm making that the Suns should do it, only that the pieces might fit if the JJ sign and trade went through as proposed with Atlanta.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
AsUdUdE said:
This is the thing... first, and foremost, SAR has said he wants to play for a winning orginazation, mainly because his name has synonomous with losing, he wants to be a winner...

No, I think first and foremost, SAR wants to start. And I don't see the Suns promising SAR anything like that, not when they've already got an all-star PF (Marion) and a new addition who's supposed to be the 'perfect fit' to address the team's weaknesses (KT).

Even as pipe dreams go, I'm not thrilled with Rahim on the Suns. If we're going to be unreasonable anyway, I'd rather pick up Vlad Rad. ;)

asudevil83

Reaction score
i for one would be extremely happy starting Amare/Shareef/Marion up front. that's some big talent there. Thomas would be a good fit at the backup C/PF slot also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Even as pipe dreams go, I'm not thrilled with Rahim on the Suns. If we're going to be unreasonable anyway, I'd rather pick up Vlad Rad. ;)

Isn't Vlad a RFA? I thought I was the only one who liked his game. Anyway, I'm not sure how how he would fit as he is a SF as I recall.

I would just be thrilled to figure out a way to re-sign Hunter, add Lonny Baxter (or for Joe Mama... Lonnie Jones) and sign a backup PG like Dickau or Speedy Claxton.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
AsUdUdE said:

The question begs, what winning team in contension has a starting spot for SAR, AND has the money to sign him....

lets go over possible destinations for SAR:

East:
Cavs- Just signed marshall, out of the race

Miami- Just got Walker, and Haslem

Nets- Obviously not happending

Pistons- Already Stocked at PF (Wallaces, Mcdyess, Ect.)

Sixers- Has Webber, and absolulty NO money

Celtics- Just got rid of Walker because they wanted to make room for Jefferson..

Bulls- A possibiilty, but the question is are they considered Contenders?

Wizards- Used all their money, and See Above

Pacers- Would seem most logical, but the pacers have no money, and pride themselves on Defense, plus with no money, would have to either have a big TE (which they don't) or convince Portland to take back Salery in Return (which they won't)

West:

Lakers- Have Odom, already Trading for Brown, plus they are believed to be spending a chunk of their MLE on Anderson

TWolves- Almost landed him before but talks failed when the two sides couldn't agree on finalized deal... Makes sense for him, but they may not be considered contenders.

Nuggets- Already loaded at PF, not looking for more

Spurs- Don't have money, just signed Obto (PF), and would have to convince Portland to take back Salery

Memphis- Not contenders, and had a rough go around the first time with the grizzlies..

Warriors- Not contenders, and already loaded at PF

Seattle- Makes a little sense, but already gets good rebounding from the PF position,plus they would have to figure the whole Radmonavic situation first.

Kings- Would make a lot of sense, while they do have a lot of PFs, none are as Talented as the kings, they still have the MLE, and could offer SAR a competetive team, BUT they are all getting older, and are not the contenders they once were.

Jazz- Not contenders, and they also have Boozer and AK47.

Suns- makes a lot of sense as well. Being on the team that is top 4 in the league, SAR would get atleast 30 minutes a game, and could even make a run at 6th man of the year. He could be the key to get the suns over the hump
at a very reasonable price....The suns have a TE and could offer portland the best deal.....

So from what My friend and I have come up with, there are 2 or 3 teams that have a real shot at SAR, and to us, it seems like the suns woujld be his best chance at contributing, and winning a championship,
Whoa, thats a very good breakdown.

I think the Kings make a great fit.

But I would be all over trading for him if the JJ thing happens.

He would give us a very deep bench and the injury bug wont hurt us as bad durring the season.

We could give Amare & Shawn alot more rest for the playoffs. It makes alot of sence to me.

KT(30)/Amare(10)/Hunter(8 )
Amare(25)/Rahim(23)
Marion(38 )/Jax(10)
Finley(25)/Bell(23)
Nash(35)/Barbosa(8 )Jax(5)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake