Winslow likely done for the year

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Winslow likely done for the year

By MIKE McLAIN Tribune Chronicle

BEREA - The joy ride Kellen Winslow Jr. took on his motorcycle last Sunday is expected to cost the Browns highly-touted tight end the 2005 season.

The Tribune Chronicle has learned that Winslow suffered a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Surgery will be required, which means that Winslow will likely miss the upcoming season.
Timetables for recovering from ACL surgery vary depending on the severity of the tear and the individual. A common reference point is a minimum of eight to 10 months, but it's possible that Winslow might need a full year to recover from surgery.

The Browns issued a statement Wednesday afternoon confirming that Winslow was still hospitalized, but no details of the knee injury were given. The statement did say that concern remains with the right knee. It went on to say that the team wouldn't comment on any aspects of his contract.

Winslow, the seventh overall choice in the 2004 draft, was hurt when he lost control of his Suzuki GSX-R750 and hit a curb in a parking lot of a community college in Westlake. Winslow, who was traveling an estimated 35 mph, was thrown over the handlebars and landed in a landscaped area. His helmet flew off, but he didn't suffer head injuries.

A report on the "CBS Sportsline" website stated that Winslow might have punctured a lung and hurt a kidney. The kidney injury is believed to be a bruise.

Winslow spent Sunday night at Fairview Hospital. He was transferred to the Cleveland Clinic Monday to be evaluated by Browns' physicians.

Missing the 2005 season could cost Winslow plenty of money because of a breach in Paragraph 3 of his contract that states he must refrain from participating in hazardous non-football activities that involve a significant risk of injury. Activities include, but aren't limited to, skydiving, hang gliding, mountain climbing, auto racing, motorcycling, scuba diving and skiing.

The team could recover $5 million of his initial $6 million signing bonus and the entire $4.4125 million option bonus that was triggered in early March. Winslow received $2 million of that bonus in March, but the remaining $2.4125 isn't payable until July 15.

Agents Kevin and Carl Poston negotiated a six-year, $40 million contract for Winslow last year, which is the most lucrative ever for a NFL tight end. The total value was reduced to $29.4175 million when Winslow failed to meet an incentive for playing time because of a season-ending ankle injury suffered in a week two game against the Dallas Cowboys. The one-time incentive would have activated $5.367 million in future bonuses and $5.215 million in future base salaries.

Winslow is the latest in what has become a long list of Browns first-round draft choices that haven't panned out. Quarterback Tim Couch (1999) is out of football with a sore arm. Defensive end Courtney Brown (2000) had an injury-riddled five-year run and was released in March. Defensive tackle Gerard Warren (2001) never played up to expectations and was recently traded to Denver. Running back William Green (2002) was arrested for DUI and possession of marijuana and is in Stage 2 of the NFL's drug program. Center Jeff Faine (2003) has finished both of his seasons on injured-reserve with leg injuries.

Good thing the Postons made K2 hold out for that great contract. 9 months later the contract have lost half of it's value. Good job! :thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a good breakdown on his contract?

From what I'm piecing together he lost about 10.5 last year between missed incentives and missed bonuses, and will lose about 9.5 this year. BUT, I think it's actually worse than that in that part of that 9.5 is forfeited bonuses he already got.

I THINK, that if K2 is never able to play football again he'll walk away from the game with ~ 5-6 million out of a possible 40 million deal. Still alot of money but sure hope for his sake he's able to come back and play next year or he's going to leave a LOT of money on the table.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

From what I'm piecing together he lost about 10.5 last year between missed incentives and missed bonuses, and will lose about 9.5 this year. BUT, I think it's actually worse than that in that part of that 9.5 is forfeited bonuses he already got.

I THINK, that if K2 is never able to play football again he'll walk away from the game with ~ 5-6 million out of a possible 40 million deal. Still alot of money but sure hope for his sake he's able to come back and play next year or he's going to leave a LOT of money on the table.
I doubt that will help us figuring out the details. It comes down to garanteed money in the deal. I'm guessing the bike incident will be cost him some of that money, but did his lost bonus from last year come out of the garanteed pool?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Man that would suck to only walk away with 5 or 6 million for doing very little work. :sarcasm:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mrospi said:
Wow, he will be well rested for a 3rd year rookie :thumbup: :biglaugh:

:?

I understand maybe not liking the guy, but he did hurt himself pretty bad.. so I dont see the humor

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
BACH said:
Good thing the Postons made K2 hold out for that great contract. 9 months later the contract have lost half of it's value. Good job! :thumbup:

I doubt the contract would be even worth half as much. Looks like we already have the first clear bust from last year's draft. Add him to the SI list!!

Mrospi

Reaction score
clif said:

I understand maybe not liking the guy, but he did hurt himself pretty bad.. so I dont see the humor

I am not happy the guy hurt himself, i just think it is really stupid....plus i believe he did it doing something prohibited by his NFL contract :thumbup:

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
The sad thing is he probably already spent at least $5-$6M so if Cleveland asks for the bonus money back, he'll probably be broke. If his knee heals slow and for injury reasons he gets cut next year, he'll have no money left.

The only way some team might sign an injury-riddled TE would be for a league min contract. Ask Cam Cleeland.

He's better wake up and really put some effort into rehab. His football life depends on it.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
clif said:

I could care less if he hurt himself. He's a loud mouthed idiot.

Owies heal.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
I could care less if he hurt himself. He's a loud mouthed idiot.

Owies heal.

and he is a 21 year old kid... who said something stupid.. so what?!

and in this case he rode a motorcycle and had an accident...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is sad is that he had the so called "potential" to be one of the very best of TEs. He was to create mismatches on the lbs covering him due to his size, strength and speed. Cleveland Brown and football fans may never know what kind of player he could have been. I'm always sad when a career is cut short due to injuries. Will he ever play again :shrug: Maybe but he never will be what he was before these injuries.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:
The sad thing is he probably already spent at least $5-$6M so if Cleveland asks for the bonus money back, he'll probably be broke. If his knee heals slow and for injury reasons he gets cut next year, he'll have no money left.

The only way some team might sign an injury-riddled TE would be for a league min contract. Ask Cam Cleeland.

He's better wake up and really put some effort into rehab. His football life depends on it.

YEah it's hard to know what his real contract is but what I'm reading is that by violating his contract he will forfeit part of his signing bonus which he already got. So as you said, if he hasn't already spent it, he has to give a lot of it back(assuming Cleveland holds him to it which they likely will).

The one report I said said he had 29 million as the "lowest possible value" for his deal, but I think that's because they assumed he would play out the deal. If he played out the deal and met the incentives, he got up to 40. If worst case he's unable to play again, he'll lose the last 5 years of salary and bonuses which I THINK leaves him with 5-6 million.

As you said, if he's already spent the money, he's screwed.

GreenCard

Reaction score
He can always borrow a few million from the Postons.
icon10.gif

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
az jam said:
What is sad is that he had the so called "potential" to be one of the very best of TEs. He was to create mismatches on the lbs covering him due to his size, strength and speed. Cleveland Brown and football fans may never know what kind of player he could have been. I'm always sad when a career is cut short due to injuries. Will he ever play again :shrug: Maybe but he never will be what he was before these injuries.

Anyone have Andre Wadsworths number? Maybe he'd be interested in taking on another partner for his restaurant.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Winslow OUT!

ESPN NEWS just reported he's done for 2005

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries. I think you go into edit your orig post.

A-Bomb

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
from PFT:

BROWNS TO PURSUE WINSLOW BONUS?

We're picking up preliminary indications that the Browns "definitely" will attempt, eventually, to recoup a portion of the signing bonus paid to tight end Kellen Winslow for riding a motorcycle in breach of his contract.

The organization, we're told, feels badly for Winslow, and Winslow and his father, the Chargers Hall of Famer of the same name, are "devastated." Thus, the Browns are unlikely to pursue the full amount of their potential contractual recovery.

But as one league insider explained to us, the Browns need to do something in order to discourage the next guy browsing for crotch rockets to think twice.

Our prediction is that the Browns will offer to resolve the situation by retaining $2 million-plus due to Winslow on July 15 as the final installment of his $4.4 million option bonus. Under the terms of his contract, the team can seek to recover up to $9.4 million, and it looks to be an open-and-shut case.

As to the injuries Winslow suffered as a result of Sunday's accident, we're told that there's a "good chance" that Winslow's right knee is "ruined." No diagnosis is possible until the swelling subsides, and the fact that the swelling has been so extreme for so long suggests that there's a very serious problem with the joint.

For now, the Browns most likely will continue to lay low as to the money issue. It looks like, however, something will happen before owner Randy Lerner is due to write another check to K2 with seven zeroes in July.

If and/or when it's time for Winslow to answer for his decision to buy, own, and ride a motorcycle in blatant violation of his rookie contract, we believe that Winslow will say he didn't know that he was engaged in activities that placed his bonus money in jeopardy. And this will call into question whether his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, properly 'splained to Winslow the relevant restrictions.

This assumes, of course, that the Postons even knew that the contract contained specific language prohibiting motorcycling, especially since they've admitted that they didn't read the contract extension signed in December 2003 by Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington.

Either way, it's likely time for Carl and Kevin Poston to assess their overall financial status, because there's a good chance they'll be asked to make a rather large contribution to the Kellen Winslow post-NFL rehabilitation fund.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
clif said:
and he is a 21 year old kid... who said something stupid.. so what?!

and in this case he rode a motorcycle and had an accident...

Forgive me if I don't throw him a pity party.

I guarantee you if I had been standing in that parking lot, watching this idiot (who is rehabbing a broken leg) ride up and down the road doing wheelies, on a GSXR 750, knowing full well he's not supposed to, wearing a helmet on the top of his head......after I saw him wreck I would have laughed my ass off.

I can promise you that. He's an idiot.

Anytime I did something stupid in my younger days and I got hurt my buddies laughed at me, and I expected it.

I guess we'll just have to agree I'm not as compassionate as you. It's cool.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACH said:
And this will call into question whether his agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, properly 'splained to Winslow the relevant restrictions.

This assumes, of course, that the Postons even knew that the contract contained specific language prohibiting motorcycling, especially since they've admitted that they didn't read the contract extension signed in December 2003 by Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington.

Either way, it's likely time for Carl and Kevin Poston to assess their overall financial status, because there's a good chance they'll be asked to make a rather large contribution to the Kellen Winslow post-NFL rehabilitation fund.

Couldn't happen to a nicer pair of agents.....

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
Forgive me if I don't throw him a pity party.

I guarantee you if I had been standing in that parking lot, watching this idiot (who is rehabbing a broken leg) ride up and down the road doing wheelies, on a GSXR 750, knowing full well he's not supposed to, wearing a helmet on the top of his head......after I saw him wreck I would have laughed my ass off.

I can promise you that. He's an idiot.

Anytime I did something stupid in my younger days and I got hurt my buddies laughed at me, and I expected it.

I guess we'll just have to agree I'm not as compassionate as you. It's cool.

doing something stupid is one thing... possibly ruining your livelihood and or nearly killing yourself is another. I would just hope he learned from a mistake and moves on.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I heard somewhere there is a video of him...it's some security video. I don't know if it was at the college and has the accident, or the dealer which sold him the motorcycle. (they made reference to him doing wheelies) Has anyone seen it?

Anyways on the contract thing, he definitely is pretty sol now. From what I've read on here and such, his 40mill went to 29 mill because of his broken leg causing him not to meet those incentives.

Then from there they want him to give back I think 4.4 million from the signing bonus, and repay the 2.2 million bonus they paid him in march...and withhold 2.2 million they were supposed to give him july 15th.

From that you have to think of what the postons got from doing the contract. I don't know how much it is, but isn't it in the 2.5-10% range of the contract? Even at 2.5% it would about 1 million for a 40million and change contract. If 10%, we're talking 4million. (There might be a cap for agents, or is that another sport?)....my guess is the 1.5-2 million dollar range

Then you look at the next few years on his contract. How could the browns want to take that sort of cap number into the season. (Of course I don't know if these cap numbers are reduced since the incentives weren't met and signing bonuses look like it will have to be repayed.
2004 230000.00
2005 305000.00
2006 542500.00
2007 780000.00
2008 1017500.00
2009 1255000.00
2010 1492500.00
I don't think he'll make it to the 2008,09,10 seasons there almost regardless. Considering the repayment of some things, it might lower that 2006 and 2007 numbers to a level which may allow them to keep him and see what he's worth, but then again...if it's obvious he can't do it, for that amount of money....he's gone

Then add in what he spent, and it was probably alot considering he had a "40 million dollar" safety net, which well broke.

Unless he made a killing in oil, gold, or currency, he probably didn't make much in investments with this market. (not like house, or antiques and such)

I'd have to say he's in a much leakier boat than ricky williams. And then again ricky is able to drink the water that flows into the boat to keep him afloat because of his ever constant cottonmouth. KW2 is pretty much sol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan