Wis Hires New DB Coach

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Just heard on KTAR that Whis hired Teryl Austin as the new DB coach. He spent last year with the Seahawks in the same role. Sorry if this has already been posted

Last edited:

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced the hiring of TERYL AUSTIN as the team’s defensive backs coach. Austin spent the last four seasons in the same capacity with the Seattle Seahawks and becomes the first assistant hired under new head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

“Teryl is a very talented coach and we are thrilled to add him to our staff,” said Whisenhunt. “Seattle had tremendous success in the four years he was there. They made the playoffs every season, won the division the last three, advanced to the Super Bowl and he was a contributor to that success. He has also developed a strong reputation for his work with young players, not only in Seattle but also at the college level. The accomplishments of his position players really speak to the quality of coach he is.”

Prior to joining the Seahawks in 2003, Austin spent 12 years as an assistant in the NCAA ranks. He began as a graduate assistant at Penn State in 1991 and ’92 before moving on to Wake Forrest (1993-95), Syracuse (1996-98) and Michigan (1999-02). Austin has helped his team advance to a bowl or playoff appearance in each of the last 11 seasons.

Among the young defensive backs he helped to develop in Seattle were Marcus Trufant (first round, 2003), Ken Hamlin (second round, 2003), Michael Boulware (second round, 2004), and Kelly Jennings (first round, 2006). Future pros he coached at Syracuse include Donovin Darius, Tebucky Jones, Will Allen, Keith Bulluck, and Kevin Abrams. At Michigan he aided in the development Marlin Jackson and Cato June, now with the Colts.

A 1988 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, Austin played four seasons for the Panthers including three as a starter.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Why would they allow him to leave for the same position in the same division?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
From Seattle's Media Guide:

Named to his current position on February
7, 2003, Teryl Austin enters his fourth NFL season
as Seattle’s defensive backs coach.
Austin has been instrumental in the development
of Seattle’s drafted secondary the
previous three seasons. Joining Marcus
Trufant, Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware
from the 2003 and 2004 NFL Drafts, will be
this year’s first-round draft pick Kelly
Jennings from the University of Miami.
In 2004, Austin coached a group of
Seahawks defensive backs that, for just the
second time in Seahawks history (1984), had
three different players intercept at least five
passes and for the first time since 1984, all
four starters intercepted at least four. All
together, the Seahawks ranked 3rd in the NFL
with 23 interceptions and collected at least
one pick in all but two games.
Before joining the Seahawks, Austin
served 12 seasons at the collegiate level.
Most recently, he enjoyed four seasons as
defensive backs coach at the University of
Michigan (1999-02).
Austin is no stranger to NFL-caliber talent.
Before moving on to Michigan, while coaching
at Syracuse from 1996-98, he mentored
All-Americans Donovin Darius and Kevin
Abrams. Darius was also named the 1997 Big
East Conference Player of the Year, and went
on to become a first-round NFL Draft pick
with fellow defensive back Tebucky Jones –
the first time in Syracuse history that two
Orangemen were selected in the first round.
He also coached NFL-caliber talent in Will
Allen (Dolphins) and Keith Bulluck (Titans) at
Syracuse and Marlin Jackson (Colts) and
Cato June (Colts) while at Michigan.
Austin helped lead teams to seven consecutive
bowl berths from 1996-02–three
consecutive with Syracuse and four with
Michigan.
Before his three-year tenure at Syracuse,
Austin spent three seasons as the secondary
coach at Wake Forest from 1993-95.
Austin broke into the coaching ranks as a
graduate assistant at Penn State in 1991.
A 1988 graduate of Pittsburgh with a bachelor’s
degree in communications, Austin was
a three-year starter and four-year letterman
(1984-87) for the Panthers’ football team. He
was a part of the 1984 Fiesta and the 1987
Bluebonnet Bowls.
After graduation, Austin competed in the
training camps of the Washington Redskins
and Hamilton Tiger-Cats before playing for
the Montreal Machine of the World League of
American Football in 1991.
Austin, born March 3, 1965, and his wife,
April, are the parents of five children–three
sons, Tyler, Trey and Torin, and two daughters,
Alexa and Alivia.

AUSTIN’S COACHING CAREER
1991-92 Penn State
Graduate Assistant
1993-95 Wake Forest University
Defensive Backs
1996-98 Syracuse University
Defensive Backs
1999-02 University of Michigan
Defensive Backs
2003- Seattle Seahawks

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
They were a lot better than ours this season.

Not to mention that the last few weeks they've been playing guys that they picked up off the street, due to injuries...A butcher, a baker and I even think a candlestick maker were starting in the Seahawks secondary.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Austin has been instrumental in the development of Seattle’s drafted secondary the previous three seasons."

Seattles secondary didn't seem that impressive to me.

Yes, I'll be interested to hear some of the Seahawks fans opinions of him. I think this is pretty unusual, a lateral move within the division.

Their pass D was middle of the pack this year in terms of yardage and they got only 12 INTS which was fourth lowest in the NFL. I know their secondary didn't concern me when we played them this year, but no secondary really does when Fitz and Boldin are on the field.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that the last few weeks they've been playing guys that they picked up off the street, due to injuries...A butcher, a baker and I even think a candlestick maker were starting in the Seahawks secondary.

:lmao:

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
Yes, I'll be interested to hear some of the Seahawks fans opinions of him. I think this is pretty unusual, a lateral move within the division.

Their pass D was middle of the pack this year in terms of yardage and they got only 12 INTS which was fourth lowest in the NFL. I know their secondary didn't concern me when we played them this year, but no secondary really does when Fitz and Boldin are on the field.

(shrug)

You could do worse than Austin and you could do better. Our secondary has been middle of the pack for a long time. This pretty much falls into the "whatever" category. Not a guy you're trying to run out of town but you're not exactly hanging onto his bumper begging either.

The writing was on the wall for Austin last year when they brought in Marmie to "assist" him. Not sure if they'll promote Marmie to the DBs coach or bring someone else in. Holmgren inferred that there would be some coaching turnover on the Seahawks this year. They had about five coaches whose contracts were up and the only one they've re-signed so far was Stump Mitchell (RBs coach).

Austin didn't make our secondary great and it certainly wasn't his fault that they were all injured last year. He was a solid coach. Not great, but solid.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
(shrug)The writing was on the wall for Austin last year when they brought in Marmie to "assist" him
Whoahh Nellie!

We jettison Richard Solomon. Marmie winds up with a division rival. I'd say we were pretty far ahead of the game even before we hired Austin.

I hope it works out, because it's a crucial hire - we have 2 talented young CB's who have yet to learn the position. If Austin can teach them the proper techniques and get them playing their positions at a high level, this will be huge for us.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
also rhodes was working more with the DBs this year

he's an average coach - nothing great, nothing bad

If you look at it though he's had two first round picks (jennings/trufant), two second round picks (boulware/hamlin) and then FAs (dyson/herndon) for the most part of his tenure

I think guys like babineaux and marquand manuel has been pretty good - inability to get guys like trufant and boulware to progress from how they came in the league is disapointing

i think a change of blood at the position is probably for the best -seattle's secondary is still young and could probably benefit from some different kind of instruction, as it seems they've become stagnant with their development

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would they allow him to leave for the same position in the same division?

Seahawks | Austin not under contract for 2007
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:39:00 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Teryl Austin is not under contract for the 2007 season and could be elsewhere next year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seahawks | Austin not under contract for 2007
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:39:00 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Teryl Austin is not under contract for the 2007 season and could be elsewhere next year.

Thanks az jam. That explains that!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05