With our second pick...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
if we go OL in the first round, I would not be shocked and think it is even more possible that we are going after a TE in the second...BA loves 2 TE sets and Housler alone is just not going to cut it. I would like a pass rusher or a safety but I think this Front Office is out to fix this offense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think Safety in the 30's-40's is a good area to steal a starter. Elam or Cyprien preferably...

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It'll be Ertz, Elam or Okafor, imo. DL is an outside possibility. Depending on their board. Dontone Jones if he'd drop Margus Hunt or Kawann Short? If they go that direction:

1-OL
2-DL
3-S
4-RB/TE
5-RB/TE
6-OLB
7-ILB

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's highly unlikely they draft a tight end that early

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think it's highly unlikely they draft a tight end that early

I think it is highly unlikely either of us know with this new staff, just saying that Housler is not enough. There are some good TEs and that position has become much more important now with the way teams use them. With Arian's system, it appears a good set of TEs is needed as much or more than a current need for a slot WR like Austin in the first as some think and I'm going with a TE in the second...it seems possible, very possible

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim has made it clear he's not a 'need' driven drafter. If a TE is at the top of their board in round two, then T-end it is.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think it is highly unlikely either of us know with this new staff, just saying that Housler is not enough. There are some good TEs and that position has become much more important now with the way teams use them. With Arian's system, it appears a good set of TEs is needed as much or more than a current need for a slot WR like Austin in the first as some think and I'm going with a TE in the second...it seems possible, very possible
This is how I feel.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Keim has made it clear he's not a 'need' driven drafter. If a TE is at the top of their board in round two, then T-end it is.
I agree with BPA mostly. But if there is a guy you covet then you make a trade to get that player. So if we have to trade down or up to get a guy we lo e in a place of need go for it.
s active as Kiem has been sofar it wouldn't surprise me to see him make a trade or two. Should be a fun draft.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with BPA mostly. But if there is a guy you covet then you make a trade to get that player. So if we have to trade down or up to get a guy we lo e in a place of need go for it.
s active as Kiem has been sofar it wouldn't surprise me to see him make a trade or two. Should be a fun draft.
That's how I see it also. Which probably will mean that someone in the top 32 of our board will fall to us at 38 (because each team's boards will vary). Unless I really really liked a player available in my top 32 a whole lot - rather than give up a pick in a trade, I'd rather sweat it out and let the draft come to me.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score

This. Listening to Keim on Big Red Rage it does sound like they will set up their draft board and go by the numbers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

And there are two very good TE prospects who could be available when the Arizona Cardinals come on the clock. When people make these statements, I tend to read them as "Do you think we'll evaluate [prospect] highly enough to have him be in the mix in the [whatever] round?"

It's folly to believe that Keim can only evaluate a prospect based on talent/scheme fit/etc. Even at a subconscious level, every scout in the building must understand that we have a pressing need at offensive guard, rush linebacker, safety, and tight end, and that we're fairly stocked at defensive end, offensive tackle, cornerback, and inside linebacker.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
And there are two very good TE prospects who could be available when the Arizona Cardinals come on the clock. When people make these statements, I tend to read them as "Do you think we'll evaluate [prospect] highly enough to have him be in the mix in the [whatever] round?"

It's folly to believe that Keim can only evaluate a prospect based on talent/scheme fit/etc. Even at a subconscious level, every scout in the building must understand that we have a pressing need at offensive guard, rush linebacker, safety, and tight end, and that we're fairly stocked at defensive end, offensive tackle, cornerback, and inside linebacker.

I agree in general. I would think that need would have to have some impact on how one executes a draft board, if not how it is created. As you pointed out, a team only needs so many players at any given position. I'm really interested in seeing how this FO drafts given that I've liked most of what they've done so far.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

DWash (out 4 games), Jasper Brinkley, ILB, Vikings. Age: 28. -- Signed with Cardinals (2 years), Reggie Walker.......anyone else?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
DWash (out 4 games), Jasper Brinkley, ILB, Vikings. Age: 28. -- Signed with Cardinals (2 years), Reggie Walker.......anyone else?

Colin Parker. I think that Lorenzo Alexander can be a two-down ILB if need be. I probably like Reggie Walker more than most.

I don't think you expend draft capital on an ILB when that's a completely replaceable part (look at the free agency pool right now), and the guy you pick isn't going to be a playmaker. It doesn't make sense to spend a Round 1-4 pick on an ILB because Washington's going to be out 4 games.

Like, if Manti Te'o is still on the board in the 2nd round, I guess you can go ahead and pick him, bit I think that you're going to have to force things a little bit when the needs are so pressing at TE, OLB, S, OG, etc.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

At this point, the bias for and against is being argued as they set their 120 board. I would imagine they'll stick to it come draft day with trade up as a caveat.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
At this point, the bias for and against is being argued as they set their 120 board. I would imagine they'll stick to it come draft day with trade up as a caveat.

Yup. And keep in mind that there are going to be nearly 300 picks, and the Cards are only setting their board with 120 prospects, and they're not going to reach the bottom of that list when the draft is complete.

That's not just huge swaths of players being swept off the board for medical and character concerns, either. It's scheme fit, not expected to be available, not need, etc.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colin Parker. I think that Lorenzo Alexander can be a two-down ILB if need be. I probably like Reggie Walker more than most.

I don't think you expend draft capital on an ILB when that's a completely replaceable part (look at the free agency pool right now), and the guy you pick isn't going to be a playmaker. It doesn't make sense to spend a Round 1-4 pick on an ILB because Washington's going to be out 4 games.

Like, if Manti Te'o is still on the board in the 2nd round, I guess you can go ahead and pick him, bit I think that you're going to have to force things a little bit when the needs are so pressing at TE, OLB, S, OG, etc.

Again, if T'eo is there as the highest player on your board you select him. This isn't forcing anything if he has the highest grade.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Again, if T'eo is there as the highest player on your board you select him. This isn't forcing anything if he has the highest grade.

And that's fine, you're just pushing up the timetable of when you "force" the higher grade.

Similarly, if we draft Kenny Vaccaro at #7 overall, and in round 2 Jonathan Cyprien is at the top of our draft board, we're not going to draft him, either. Is that not taking BPA? Of course not, it's making the most of your assets.

I can't tell if you're being obtuse, or just arguing because you're bored.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And that's fine, you're just pushing up the timetable of when you "force" the higher grade.

Similarly, if we draft Kenny Vaccaro at #7 overall, and in round 2 Jonathan Cyprien is at the top of our draft board, we're not going to draft him, either. Is that not taking BPA? Of course not, it's making the most of your assets.

I can't tell if you're being obtuse, or just arguing because you're bored.

Deliberately obtuse is not recognizing that Cyprien is off to the side by virtue of the first pick.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Deliberately obtuse is not recognizing that Cyprien is off to the side by virtue of the first pick.

No it's not. If Cyprien was the BPA on Wednesday night when they closed the board, and that's an absolute decision, then wouldn't he STILL be the BPA on Friday evening when he's on the board?

Or, are you saying, that the Cards no longer have a NEED at that position for a prospect, and so they'll adjust their board to account for positions where they have greater NEED?

Check.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it's not. If Cyprien was the BPA on Wednesday night when they closed the board, and that's an absolute decision, then wouldn't he STILL be the BPA on Friday evening when he's on the board?

Or, are you saying, that the Cards no longer have a NEED at that position for a prospect, and so they'll adjust their board to account for positions where they have greater NEED?

Check.

Check from the guy who offered a silly analogy between the effects of rising tides and the NFL draft. Funny!

Yes, to be a strict orthodox, Cyprien would be the choice, but, I would not be offended if given the first selection they moved down on their board. Mind you, the Redskins selected two QB's last year using the BPA approach and this was panned until RG111 went down.

Y

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Check from the guy who offered a silly analogy between the effects of rising tides and the NFL draft. Funny!

Yes, to be a strict orthodox, Cyprien would be the choice, but, I would not be offended if given the first selection they moved down on their board. Mind you, the Redskins selected two QB's last year using the BPA approach and this was panned until RG111 went down.

Y

That's not my memory. I remember them being praised for picking up two very nice quarterback prospects.

Same thing when Seattle drafted Russel Wilson after just signing Matt Flynn in free agency.