Wk 2 LA Rams @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game thread. 09/08/24-09/14/24

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This whole video feels like when your 6 year old paints a dog and it looks like a mushroom, but you tell them it's awesome and ruffle their hair. But for those that want it here you go.

Some initial observations. On the completion to McBride on 4 minutes, which was a nice pass, Wilson is wide open for a TD. I understand that there is a mass of bodies in his eye line but my issue is that the way the Bills are lined up, and routes that he knows are being run, he should know either McBride and Wilson are going to be open. Both are far more open than McBride eventually is and he shouldn't have to force a pass in there. He goes to the left first but comes off it almost right away when all the top QB's are just deciding whether to go to Wilson or McBride. They would look at that defense pre snap and think "I'm going left because Mike or trey are going to be open here", and both are, he just comes off it way too soon. This is the kind of thing that really bothers me about Kyler, it's often not what he does do, it's what he doesn't do. I feel like Kyler is doing 90% of his thinking post snap.

The next play is the fumble. If you watch this closely you can see that the 1st read is Marv and his route is designed to turn the back of the cornerback by running past him then come back on a curl for a ball that needs to have already been thrown. But Kyler pulls it down and gets sacked when it was there, you can see just before Kyler is sacked that Marv is there waiting for the ball (5:20). I can't see where the CB is, but that doesn't matter if Kyler throws the ball where it should be with anticipation. I don't think this is a particularly hard throw for most QB's.

I still feel like the same issues are there. Reading defenses and throwing with anticipation. Sadly, I can't see the All 22 this year because for some reason NFL are not releasing it to DAZN.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

On the "Kyler went through his reads, didn't see anything, and finds Demarcardo in the flat" play. Well this is what Kyler saw.

Marv is right there with a 4 yards cushion and Kyler looking right at him.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I understand the negativity around beating the Rams. McVay seems to have our number.

But this isn't the Rams that was. Only one player graded over 70 on offense on Sunday (Kupp). None of their O line graded over 62 before injuries, although granted they played a good Lions D line.

• C Beaux Limmer: 58.9
  • QB Matthew Stafford: 51.8
  • LT Joe Noteboom: 40.8
  • RT Warren McClendon Jr.: 33.6
  • LT A.J. Arcuri: 25.9
Limmer took over at center when Steve Avila went down, Noteboom stepped in for the suspended Alaric Jackson, McClendon filled in for Rob Havenstein and Arcuri replaced Noteboom after he got hurt.

Limmer allowed just two pressures, Noteboom gave up three pressures, McClendon allowed five and Arcuri allowed seven in just 33 pass-blocking snaps. His pass-blocking grade was 1.9, barely better than Noteboom’s 7.2. Arcuri and Noteboom had the two worst pass-blocking grades of any NFL linemen this week.

Fiske was very poor vs the run and didn't play well overall. They had big issues at LB with both starting LB's, Reeder and Rozeboom having poor games.

Their starting CB's are down slope Tre White, Cobie Durant and some guy called Quentin Lake. Their WR's after Kupp are Demarcus Robinson and Tyler Johnson.

This is not the Rams that was. And that was before injuries.

Noteboom was already backup LT and he's out. Avila is out. Haverstein is less than 50% to play from the tone coming out of the Rams. Dotson is day to day with an ankle injury, although I expect he will play.

Of course, all this means that is we lose at home on Sunday against a decimated Rams that this board really will hit the Dark Side, and if we win it will be put down to only being because the Rams had a lot of injuries.
Monti’s work on the defensive line will be graded heavily in this game. If they stink against this oline, they REALLY stink.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Rams team is a total MASH unit. Missing its second best WR, 3/5s of its O-Line. Defense nothing to write home about.

If the Cardinals are actually making progress in their second year, this is a game they SHOULD win. It’s a home-opener against a hated rival who’s beat up. Lose this and you’re staring at 0 and who knows how bad.

Participation Trophies and Moral Victories were fine last year… I guess. In a second season, a new regime needs to start at least winning most of the ballgames they’re favored in. This is the first of those.

Totally agree. It's time to start winning games! This one is ripe for the taking. It's the first game that I predicted the Cardinals would win in the prediction thread. The Cardinals need to reestablish Home Field Advantage by keeping the Crowd in the game. They need to execute at a high level. They need to eliminate the mental errors. And they need to beat McVay.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you guys know how insane it is, despite the defense giving up 34 offensive points, to say “We KNOW the defense will be bad, but it’s up to the offense to win games”

lol man just read that out loud.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monti’s work on the defensive line will be graded heavily in this game. If they stink against this oline, they REALLY stink.
Totally Agree Here!

BJ went down on Aug 5th. They had a month to find at least someone who might help at Edge. They chose to stay in house. Well it's now or never. If the Cardinals Edge players can't get any pressure on Stafford with a MASH unit OL and when playing at Home, then I doubt they will the rest of the season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you guys know how insane it is, despite the defense giving up 34 offensive points, to say “We KNOW the defense will be bad, but it’s up to the offense to win games”

Are you saying you aren't expecting us to win many games this year, or...? Of our five best players, probably four of them are on the offense. 56% of our cap spending is dedicated to offensive players.

Many people talked about how the winning game script would work for the Cards. It can't be this in the second half:

The Cards held the ball for 19:47 of the initial 30 minutes and still lost the time of possession battle.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you saying you aren't expecting us to win many games this year, or...? Of our five best players, probably four of them are on the offense. 56% of our cap spending is dedicated to offensive players.

Many people talked about how the winning game script would work for the Cards. It can't be this in the second half:

The Cards held the ball for 19:47 of the initial 30 minutes and still lost the time of possession battle.
Nah, not really trying to break it down into anything. I just thought how hilarious it was to say that out loud.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
McBrides 5 receptions is the 3rd best of any TE in the league, only Likely and Bowers had more. His 9 targets is 2nd most for TEs.

He really had 5 receptions? Wow, I've forgot them already. I can remember 2.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PHNX Cardinals
@PHNX_Cardinals
·
11m

"Our response the last 48 hours is making me feel really good."Arizona Cardinals HC Jonathan Gannon says the team's response to losing to Buffalo gives him confidence going into Week Two.

I like Gannon, I really do, but at some point he has to start turning his good feelings, which frankly, he seems to have about most things, into wins.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Where is all the $ and high draft collateral spent?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rams add 38 year old OT Ty Nsekhe to their practice squad.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Tyler Drake

@Tdrake4sports

Arizona Cardinals WR Marvin Harrison Jr. when asked how much he was thinking in Week 1 vs. just playing:"I was thinking a lot. Definitely thinking a lot out there. ... I think thinking less and just going out there and playing will definitely come with reps." #AZCardinals

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tyler Drake

@Tdrake4sports
·
42m

Marvin Harrison Jr. when asked if he would have liked more time on the field with Kyler Murray this preseason:"Yeah, but I certainly respect JG's call this preseason. Obviously, we all feel really healthy and that's kinda the most important thing ... going forward."

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tyler Drake
@Tdrake4sports
·
42m

Marvin Harrison Jr. when asked if he would have liked more time on the field with Kyler Murray this preseason:"Yeah, but I certainly respect JG's call this preseason. Obviously, we all feel really healthy and that's kinda the most important thing ... going forward."

I mean, I'd argue it's not the most important thing. Winning is the most important thing, and if preseason reps help with wins then you should do it.

Worrying about injuries is BS. Look at Jonah Williams within a half of football.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you want to get rich you can get Cards first half ML + Rams ML at +525 on BetMGM right now.

I think this is a fun bet all season, honestly.