Yellow Flag on Michael Floyd

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Note to Rugby, who said that he heard that Reif is impressing in Detroit. As you know BEFORE they put on pads it's hard to get a read on lineman. Although I guess it's possible that they told him that he's a RT and he actually lined up on the right side. For Floyd it's more complicated, as they told him he's the X or Y WR, and he was looking for an X marks the spot on the field and couldn't find it.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Another thing for those who didn't like the pick. He is literally the best blocking WR prospect in a decade. Like Hines Ward great. Hell become a fan favorite from Game 1 for this very reason. I guarantee the majority of TD runs will come to his side.

And if you don't think that's very important for a WR you don't know football Rey well.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Another thing for those who didn't like the pick. He is literally the best blocking WR prospect in a decade. Like Hines Ward great. Hell become a fan favorite from Game 1 for this very reason. I guarantee the majority of TD runs will come to his side.

And if you don't think that's very important for a WR you don't know football Very well.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Note to Rugby, who said that he heard that Reif is impressing in Detroit. As you know BEFORE they put on pads it's hard to get a read on lineman. Although I guess it's possible that they told him that he's a RT and he actually lined up on the right side. For Floyd it's more complicated, as they told him he's the X or Y WR, and he was looking for an X marks the spot on the field and couldn't find it.

Exactly. And by that same level of In depth analysis Massie has been "impressing" too. Color me just fine with the way things worked out.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
1st bold - Did we need to spend a 1st rounder on a decoy with Ingram still available?
2nd bold - Isn't that what Larry is for?

I think this story is a non story until TC starts. However, I will always hate the pick and wonder why we didn't add to our thin pass rushing corp.

Ummm because offense is far and away our bigger problem???? And why are you so sure Ingram isnt a bust waiting to happen??

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Is it too early to start using the "B" word for Floyd? I think at some point you have to stop investing time and resources into a a player who has demonstrated that he's not going to make it at the pro level.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ummm because offense is far and away our bigger problem???? And why are you so sure Ingram isnt a bust waiting to happen??
I am not sure...... No one would be.

What I am sure of is that we had needs the size of the grand canyon (OLB, LB, OT, OG) that we chose not to fill because we wanted a new #2 WR.

Say what you want about Floyd's projected skills...... I don't think anyone can argue that we had bigger needs to fill on our team and players who were just as highly projected (Ingram, Coples, Jones, Decastro, & Reiff) as Floyd on the board.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Is it too early to start using the "B" word for Floyd? I think at some point you have to stop investing time and resources into a a player who has demonstrated that he's not going to make it at the pro level.

??? I'm guessing this is sarcasm?

The only people who would even bring up bust and Michael Floyd in the same sentence are those who wanted another pick at 13 and want oh so desperately to find something anything so they can say they were right in decrying the pick.

That's all 90% of fans care about anyway.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
??? I'm guessing this is sarcasm?

The only people who would even bring up bust and Michael Floyd in the same sentence are those who wanted another pick at 13 and want oh so desperately to find something anything so they can say they were right in decrying the pick.

Good guess!!! lol

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am not sure...... No one would be.

What I am sure of is that we had needs the size of the grand canyon (OLB, LB, OT, OG) that we chose not to fill because we wanted a new #2 WR.

Say what you want about Floyd's projected skills...... I don't think anyone can argue that we had bigger needs to fill on our team and players who were just as highly projected (Ingram, Coples, Jones, Decastro, & Reiff) as Floyd on the board.
They drafted the best player available. Free agency is for filling needs.

The Cards need improved QB play. Picking Floyd potentially gives theQBs a better chance to succeed. It should also open things up for Fitz .

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

:rolleyes:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
They drafted the best player available. Free agency is for filling needs.

I respect their process and their board. And I respect BPA. Floyd was no where near my BPA when we drafted. Not saying I'm right, I'm just sticking to my real life evaluations. It's not like we didn't get the chance to watch Floyd on NBC each week.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I respect their process and their board. And I respect BPA. Floyd was no where near my BPA when we drafted. Not saying I'm right, I'm just sticking to my real life evaluations. It's not like we didn't get the chance to watch Floyd on NBC each week.
Even if Floyd wasnt BPA. If he was close to the BPA I feel he was the better pick because his impact on the QB/Fitz/Running game is potentially huge.

I dont think it will take long to see a 4 wide 1 TE formation of: Fitz, Floyd, Early, Roberts, Housler...

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Should be pretty easy to confirm since Kemp podcasts all his shows.

I listen to Bob Kemp daily and I haven't heard anything negative about Floyd. The afternoon shows are Bertrand Berry and Roc and Manuch.

You are very precise in Kemp's criticism. Exactly when was this during the day? You said afternoon so I can only assume it is in the third hour?

I was in favor of the Floyd selection. I don have an axe to grind here.

As I said, I was in and out of the car all morning. I'm pretty sure that it was in the second hour. He specifically said that he is more worried about Floyd now than he was at the start of OTAs. Wasn't negative or callin him
A bust or anything, just relaying what he saw at fan feat and how
It jibed with what he'd been hearing from reporters at practices and from Cardinals employees he'd spoken with.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The transition from college wr to pro wr is very difficult. Most feel that it takes two full season to really develop. There are exceptions like Randy Moss and Anquan Boldin to mention a few. I agree with K-9 and do like the pick. My expectations this year on Floyd are that he will develop as the season progresses and hopefully contributing later in the season.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Please, everyone on this forum is a drama queen. We're no different from him except that we know what we're talking about.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Also..... I think we should all realize that no one is practicing with pads yet. None of this will matter by late July.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everything matters in the NFL. When you're talking a billion-dollar business, it all matters. If it didn't they wouldn't even waste the time. Players who don't think it matters are the ones riding pine come game time. And it sure seems like Fitz thinks it matters. Sure seems like our D thinks it matters (they get pumped up and hoot and hollar about everything, even if it's just running cones).

It's funny how last year some of us complained about the lack of prep-time and said that was the reason certain players weren't ready, but this year, now that they're doing it, suddenly it doesn't matter.

It totally matters. Dudes have the playbooks and there are some guys who haven't got it yet and others who do, and that tells you something. You think it doesn't matter to a guy like Skelton, who hasn't had a single season with this type of work? I bet it matters to him. Maybe to a dude like Fitz it doesn't matter, but to our young guys, that's their first introduction to the NFL. Of course it matters. Whis even said if they didn't get it they would be behind come training camp. That's how much it matters. Klemente, who couldn't practice with us because of school...Whis said he would be way behind. Still think it doesn't matter? It all matters. It all makes a difference.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even if Floyd wasnt BPA. If he was close to the BPA I feel he was the better pick because his impact on the QB/Fitz/Running game is potentially huge.

I dont think it will take long to see a 4 wide 1 TE formation of: Fitz, Floyd, Early, Roberts, Housler...
completely agreed with your logic. I'd rather see Fitz, Floyd, Doucet/Roberts, Housler and King though if we're going with 5 on the outside. I was impressed with King last year, not so much with Roberts or Doucet. I'm hoping Housler develops into our future at TE, but got nothing to back it up

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Everything matters in the NFL. When you're talking a billion-dollar business, it all matters. If it didn't they wouldn't even waste the time. Players who don't think it matters are the ones riding pine come game time. And it sure seems like Fitz thinks it matters. Sure seems like our D thinks it matters (they get pumped up and hoot and hollar about everything, even if it's just running cones).

It's funny how last year some of us complained about the lack of prep-time and said that was the reason certain players weren't ready, but this year, now that they're doing it, suddenly it doesn't matter.

It totally matters. Dudes have the playbooks and there are some guys who haven't got it yet and others who do, and that tells you something. You think it doesn't matter to a guy like Skelton, who hasn't had a single season with this type of work? I bet it matters to him. Maybe to a dude like Fitz it doesn't matter, but to our young guys, that's their first introduction to the NFL. Of course it matters. Whis even said if they didn't get it they would be behind come training camp. That's how much it matters. Klemente, who couldn't practice with us because of school...Whis said he would be way behind. Still think it doesn't matter? It all matters. It all makes a difference.

Oh goodness gracious.... I cant believe I have to explain this.

Did we learn at the mini camp if Floyd will be able to play when the bullets are flying? No. <-- All that really matters when push comes to shove.

Did we learn if Floyd is picking up the playbook quickly? Yes.

I for one........ Am not worried in the least. And I believe that minicamps matter less than Training camp, and that training camp matters less than the regular season.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Kolb clearly the most mechanically sound QB on the roster-----no news here-----of this bunch he has always been the most sound with his mechanics.

Too many balls hitting the ground probably speaks to the poor mechanics of our QB's not named Kolb. Meanwhile, many reported that Kolb was too quick to move laterally in the pocket which forced panic throws.

I have not heard from anyone else but Kemp that Floyd has been a disappointment so far. Smoothe route running was never his forte. His strengths have been speed and size, coupled with strength and athleticism to go up after the ball. We will not experience any of that until the pads go on. Meanwhile, if I recall, Haley worked Fitz very hard when he came aboard to both increase his speed and improve his poor route running. Floyd has a long camp and 5 pre-season games in which to improve on those listed weaknesses, meanwhile it is his strengths that caused us to draft him, (just as it was with Fitz). I see no real cause for concern at this juncture. (Now, if he comes back next year and is still a poor route runner, and has problems lining up, the I will be concerned.) I don't expect him to challenge for #1 WR this year, only that he provides a target on the field opposite Fitz that commands defensive attentions. If he does that, we will be well on our way to developing another elite receiver.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an on air arguement with kemp about hour Emmitt wouldnt amount to much and bob thought he was gold.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I figured Kolb would be the more technically-sound QB. That isn't the issue. The issue is when he gets a love-tap on the head, he is sidelined for 6-8 weeks. If he can stay healthy, he is the better choice in the short-term. Long-term, I still love Skelton's upside.

As for Floyd, I am not really surprised. It has to be a hell of a transition to go from lowly Notre Dame to the Arizona-Freakin-Cardinals!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05