Yellow Flag on Michael Floyd

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been preaching patience with Floyd since we drafted him, but I don't think that he's going to be an immediate starter like a lot of people here do. I think we'll see Andre Roberts and Early Doucet as the top 3 WRs along with Fitz, and then Floyd will move to the outside in 4 WR sets in the role that we saw with Steven Williams a couple of years ago. At least for the first half of the season maybe more.

I think that 65 receptions and 850 yards is about the ceiling that we should expect for Floyd his first year.

Totally agree. The WR position is one of the hardest jumps to make coming out of college. The timing/reads/knowing where you are supposed to be all takes time and experience to learn. I'd be shocked if he is the starter coming out of the pre-season. If he's not ready Whiz won't start him that's for sure. I think the Cards will have to bring him along slowly as to not overwhelm the young WR.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cant believe this has garnered this level of chatter. The guy signed like... 6 days ago, and we are stressing about him not knowing routes and formations? And this is a WR we drafted for speed, size and hands, I think its hard to learn about any of those skills in drills where no one is allowed to touch eachother.

If he is lining up on the wrong side, running the wrong way and has 2 beer cans strapped to his helmet during the hall of fame game THEN we should start going ballistic.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If he is lining up on the wrong side, running the wrong way and has 2 beer cans strapped to his helmet during the hall of fame game THEN we should start going ballistic.

That sounds like a good idea to make the Pro Bowl interesting.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah didn't like the pick but not because I don't think Floyd will be a good player but because of my concerns about the alcohol issues he had in college given the Cards' history of avoiding players with that sort of issue.

If the worst thing going on with him right now is learnign the system, I'm not worried.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I am on record about being dubious about the guy, but it's waaaaay too early to panic IMO. We were spoiled by Q and Larry. We will probably NEVER again see that caliber of top 2 wide receivers in Arizona.

Hopefully Michael Floyd can stay healthy, totally avoid alcoholic beverages, and adopt Larry's work habits ---- AND develop into a decent #2 receiver.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I cant believe this has garnered this level of chatter. The guy signed like... 6 days ago, and we are stressing about him not knowing routes and formations? And this is a WR we drafted for speed, size and hands, I think its hard to learn about any of those skills in drills where no one is allowed to touch eachother.

I am on record about being dubious about the guy, but it's waaaaay too early to panic IMO. We were spoiled by Q and Larry. We will probably NEVER again see that caliber of top 2 wide receivers in Arizona.

Hopefully Michael Floyd can stay healthy, totally avoid alcoholic beverages, and adopt Larry's work habits ---- AND develop into a decent #2 receiver.

Who on this thread--or elsewhere--is doing either of these things? I'm disappointed, because according to Whis and others the value of this offseason work is that we can get this stuff out of the way and build on it in camp. If Floyd is already behind, that's a problem.

But no one's panicked or going ballistic. It's just a concern, and I think that people hoping that Michael Floyd even has a Julio Jones/Percy Harvin/Dez Bryant-level impact for the Cards in Year 1 should probably revise their expectations downward.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i thought I read he was a physical punisher type WR which is usually a slot back but it sounds like roberts would be slot and floyd is a speed back for the outside?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So i thought I read he was a physical punisher type WR which is usually a slot back but it sounds like roberts would be slot and floyd is a speed back for the outside?

I don't think you usually see size guys playing on the inside. Generally they're peripheral targets who can get up over the cornerback and the sideline. Sid Rice and Fitz aren't guys you want playing in the middle of the field--in part because they're bigger targets for linebackers and safties to hit.

Roberts is probably an above-average slot WR, but he's just another guy on the outside. There's an argument for both Roberts and Doucet to play the slot--and it'll likely depend on the matchup.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05