Your American olympic team

fatosber

Veteran
Reaction score
I just read an articele and it says that Nba legends and coaches will be a part of a comission that will choose the american olymipiv team .
Who would you choose ?
here is my list

Wade,Lebron,Garnet,Duncan,O'neil
Kidd,Bryant,McGrady,Amare,Wallace

I think some of the players will not want to play so here are some substitutes

Allen , Redd , Miller , Marion , Prince , etc...

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
My team would be,

PG- Jason Kidd, Baron Davis
SG- Rip Hamilton, Dwayne Wade, Ray Allen or Michael Redd
SF- Joe Johnson, Lebron James
PF- Amare Stoudemire, Rasheed Wallace
C- Tim Duncan, Ben Wallace

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
imagine running off the following starting lineup:

pg-lebron james
sg-dwyane wade
sf-tracy mcgrady
pf-kevin garnett
c-amare stoudemire

that's some athletic freakiness to add to rediculous talent and unselfishness. oh, and the 6th man can be Shaq :)

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Imagine this one.

PG- Steve Francis
SG- Vince Carter
SF- Josh Smith
PF-Amare Stoudemire
C- Kevin Garnett

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The team is NOT going to look like the "group of all-stars" like it did last time, IMO. I expect drastic changes, and a group of players that can play together as a team, instead of individually. The older stars will probably once again reject an invite. (Unless they're just ashamed of what our previous team did.)

You'll see something similar to:

Kirk Hinrich
Dwayne Wade
Joe Johnson
Amare Stoudemire
Dwight Howard

Andre Miller
Michael Redd
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Elton Brand

Ben Gordon
Emeka Okafor

Last edited:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I think my first team is ideal because they can all pass, shoot the three or mid range and are athletic and play defense, with the exception of Ben Wallace.. I think that team can not be stopped.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm just curious why everyone assumes Shawn Marion will not be on the team again. I think you're groups are certainly possible, but Marion IMO was the first or second-best player on the team last summer.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Imagine this one.

PG- Steve Francis
SG- Vince Carter
SF- Josh Smith
PF-Amare Stoudemire
C- Kevin Garnett

I guess you're bringing that group up for their athletic prowess, but with a Francis/Carter backcourt, they certainly wouldn't do very well.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
nm132 said:
I guess you're bringing that group up for their athletic prowess, but with a Francis/Carter backcourt, they certainly wouldn't do very well.

Winning games...probably not the best. Dunking all over fools. This is the best.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm just curious why everyone assumes Shawn Marion will not be on the team again. I think you're groups are certainly possible, but Marion IMO was the first or second-best player on the team last summer.

I left him off because he's been on two team USA teams, and I think there is a chance that he'll want to reject an invite this time. If not, we may see him on there again.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I left him off because he's been on two team USA teams, and I think there is a chance that he'll want to reject an invite this time. If not, we may see him on there again.

That is the only way he doesn't play IMO. Right now, I would say Marion is one of maybe 3 players that will on the team if they want to - no matter what.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

that's really not saying much considering they are the first olympic team to get the snot kicked out of them since the NBA started sending players.

In 3 years from now - Marion won't even be a blip on the radar screen for the Olympics IMO. He'll be 31 years old, his great athleticism will have dropped off a bit by then and then all you'll have a kind of athletic guy who has never been a leader on any team that's accomplished anything and becomes skittish at crunch time. Sorry - Shawn's had his shot on two teams - that's all ANYONE who's played on BOTH of those sorry teams who made us look that bad should get IMO.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I like Wasted Fate's idea but personally I'd pick a bunch of good defenders, dirt workers and role players then let the coach add the All Stars he'd like to round out the team.

Bruce Bowen
Reggie Evans
Udonis Haslem
Trenton Hassell
Brendan Haywood
Robert Horry
Lindsey Hunter
Andre Iguodala
Tayshaun Prince

One of the problems that collections of All-Stars has is that practicing against each other they take it easy on defense so they get an inflated idea of how easily they can score. You make them practice against a group like I've listed and the games will seem very easy by comparison.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on last year, I'd have 12 three point shooters. :rolleyes:

As for Marion, this assumption that his athleticism will drop dramatically is not all that certain. Most guys lose their athleticism due to injuries rather than age, up to about 32 or 33. As they get older, their conditioning becomes increasingly important, but injuries are what does most guys in.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
My '08 Olympic Roster:

PG: Kirk Hinrich/Luke Ridnour
SG: Dewayne Wade/Michael Redd
SF: Lebron James/Joe Johnson
PF: Amare Stoudemire/Troy Murphy
C: Emeka Okafor/Tyson Chandler
ALT: Shawn Marion/Richard Hamilton

My list is accounting for the fact that the core of these guys will be 25-30 4 years from now...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like Josh Howard to get some consideration for the Olympic team. He really impressed me when the Suns played Dallas. He is a very multi-dimensional player.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
This type of thing is part of the problem IMO.

We need to lose the idea that we are selecting a "dream team".

Less dream and more team is required to get USA basketball back on top.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
This type of thing is part of the problem IMO.

We need to lose the idea that we are selecting a "dream team".

Less dream and more team is required to get USA basketball back on top.

At the risk of sounding uninformed, what does "IMO" mean. I see it used frequently.

I don't know if the above comment was directed towards me or another, but I think Josh Howard is a team player that can contribute in many areas along the frontline for any team, including possibly the Olympic team. I'm a Suns' fan so I suggested his name based upon just watching him play without any bias.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
At the risk of sounding uninformed, what does "IMO" mean. I see it used frequently.

I don't know if the above comment was directed towards me or another, but I think Josh Howard is a team player that can contribute in many areas along the frontline for any team, including possibly the Olympic team. I'm a Suns' fan so I suggested his name based upon just watching him play without any bias.

In My Opinion. :)

No it was directed, in general, at the practice of picking a "dream team" of NBA players followed by invitations to play. Then comes the inevitable declinations and replacement invitations ad nausem.

Even though we won in '96 and '00 those teams were horrible. It took until '04 before everyone caught on that there is a problem with how the USA selects a senior mens basketball team.

The first thing we need to do is ask for volunteers. I think Howard is a nice player but not anymore suited for international play than anyone else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks SirChaz. Now I feel a little more intelligent. :thumbup: