Zac Allen and Byron Murphy are free agents

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But at $19 million?

At some point, you have to pay players. Some will be "overpaid". If the team is good, WHO CARES? There are no trophies for "cap management" or "best value contracts".

When it comes to the Broncos, Russell Wilson's cap hit next year is over 35 million and if they cut him his dead cap hit would be 85 million. The Broncos are cray-cray, but I do admire any team trying to go all in on a Super Bowl. They just made a bad bet on Wilson.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zach Allen is a legit starter in the NFL - we need plenty of those! It's fun to try and make ourselves feel better about the current lack of talent on our D-line, but to compare a guy like Allen to Dimukeje or Ojulari as an overall player is surely a joke.
Zach Allen playing inside which make the comparison with them wrong
We didnt replace him so we didnt fill the void
Although i would have prefered a bigger above average defensive linemen in the middle instead of signing journeymen

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
the error was letting Allen get to the final year of his contract --

the team has a rare hit on a draft pick at an important position -- and you dont retain him. Ugh
It wasn't clear that the was a hit going into his final season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, comparing edge players to IDL is a lot like comparing apples to oranges!

Imagine what Allen could do if he only had to worry about blockers on one side of him! Or not having to worry about competitive team football.

True.

However next year the Cardinals currently have a cap hit on following front 7 guys in 2024:

Dennis Gardeck $3.466M
Zaven Collins $4.464M
Kyzir White $6.750M
BJ Ojulari $1.954M
Cam Thomas $1.403M
Victor Dimukeje $1.095M
Roy Lopez $1.055M
Dante Stills $0.984M

That total comes to about $21M which is very close to the $19M Zach Allen will cost against the cap next season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
True.

However next year the Cardinals currently have a cap hit on following front 7 guys in 2024:

Dennis Gardeck $3.466M
Zaven Collins $4.464M
Kyzir White $6.750M
BJ Ojulari $1.954M
Cam Thomas $1.403M
Victor Dimukeje $1.095M
Roy Lopez $1.055M
Dante Stills $0.984M

That total comes to about $21M which is very close to the $19M Zach Allen will cost against the cap next season.
It's great that we can keep the core of one of the bottom five defenses in the league together for another year. At least we're saving Michael Bidwill some money!

And we'll be able to spend 120% of that $14 million on a free agent IDL this season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Zach Allen playing inside which make the comparison with them wrong
We didnt replace him so we didnt fill the void
Although i would have prefered a bigger above average defensive linemen in the middle instead of signing journeymen
We lost our top two interior defensive linemen this past year, and did nothing to address D-line. The magical summer of 2024 will apparently fix all of our holes.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's great that we can keep the core of one of the bottom five defenses in the league together for another year. At least we're saving Michael Bidwill some money!

And we'll be able to spend 120% of that $14 million on a free agent IDL this season.

Shoot I'd gladly take Dante Stills at <$1M over Zach Allen at $19M any day of the week. I don't see much difference between the two other than one costs 20X more than the other.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It wasn't clear that the was a hit going into his final season.
yes -- but, GMs are paid millions of $ to make the correct projection. It also suggests he could have been extended for way less than the $15mm AAV he got

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the error was letting Allen get to the final year of his contract --

the team has a rare hit on a draft pick at an important position -- and you dont retain him. Ugh
They have done this repeatedly and I hope it changes. Let's use Christian Kirk as another example. The time to extend is the next to last year of the rookie deal. That's when you get a better value contract. Not let them get to the end of their rookie deal, look around, and sure enough, there are teams who will pay them a lot more money and they are gone.

I am not arguing Allen, Murphy, Kirk are elite players. But they are sufficient and are still young. Put them back on the team right now and they are the best players at their positions.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, comparing edge players to IDL is a lot like comparing apples to oranges!

Imagine what Allen could do if he only had to worry about blockers on one side of him! Or not having to worry about competitive team football.
Zach Allen's line/front 7 in Denver is multitudes better than here in AZ, and he isn't performing all that well.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have done this repeatedly and I hope it changes. Let's use Christian Kirk as another example. The time to extend is the next to last year of the rookie deal. That's when you get a better value contract. Not let them get to the end of their rookie deal, look around, and sure enough, there are teams who will pay them a lot more money and they are gone.

I am not arguing Allen, Murphy, Kirk are elite players. But they are sufficient and are still young. Put them back on the team right now and they are the best players at their positions.
I agree. It shouldn’t take good front office to evaluate a “good” player. I know rookie deals are a luxury but heading into a third year of a 4 year rookie deal nullifies the bargain price, extending that player will save a whole bunch down the road.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Zach Allen's line/front 7 in Denver is multitudes better than here in AZ, and he isn't performing all that well.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say?
He seems like he is playing fine. On par with the top 40 defensive players in the NFL in pressuring the QB. And with tougher competition on his own roster according to you.