Zaven Collins re-signs for two more years

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As I replied to DVontel, I understand what he played in college. In the NFL, he had not really shown anything in terms of pass rush. That's been my only argument.
I think people forget that while he was moved to ILB, his rookie year they moved him back to edge and he was awful.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wha? You'd pay Reddick $22.5 mil per year? Ludicrous.

While the team is sitting on a ton of cap room and with arguably the worst pass rush in AZ history, what’s ludicrous about paying 22.5 million for a guy who’s averaged 12.5 sacks, 13 TFLs and 2.5 FF ever since he actually got moved to his natural position?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think people forget that while he was moved to ILB, his rookie year they moved him back to edge and he was awful.
Not only that, but the entire narrative around him was that he was going to move to ILB for almost every team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While the team is sitting on a ton of cap room and with arguably the worst pass rush in AZ history, what’s ludicrous about paying 22.5 million for a guy who’s averaged 12.5 sacks, 13 TFLs and 2.5 FF ever since he actually got moved to his natural position?
Eh that's some hyperbole.

The early 2000s teams had sack leaders like Dennis Johnson with THREE SACKS on the season.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The sack total last season was the same as the year before while fielding the Worst DL and Worst defensive roster in the league.

Lack of pass rusher is an issue, But with the other additions on the defense is not the Worst situation in team history

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Wha? You'd pay Reddick $22.5 mil per year? Ludicrous.
I understand the sticker shock, but that is appropriate based upon his age and production over the past 3 or 4 seasons. If we could get him for less, great. I am more concerned with the length of the deal vs the price tag as we have cash to spend over this year and the next two.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A team that can count top 10 players at their position on one hand, yet so many here scoff at doing anything to add top tier talent.
Playing devil's advocate here, but you think Hassan is a top 10 at his position?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate here, but you think Hassan is a top 10 at his position?
That's fair - he's probably not top 10, but he's top 3 in sacks over the last 2 years, and would take that position from a glaring hole to just fine. I'm not necessarily advocating for Reddick in general but again, we're so bereft of talent that we need to explore multiple avenues to try and improve on what was one of the worst D's in the NFL.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Top 10 is kind of a pipe dream these days...pretty much the only player that would qualify for that is Budda, who I feel is universally overrated and McBride who had a great year last year but has a ton to prove. Even if you extend it to top 15, it's hard to think of many Cards players that would qualify outside of maybe Kyler?

The bottom line is that if you look at all the top teams in the league, they have lots of these guys. We do not, and it appears our only avenue to remedying this is to have Monti be some combination of Ron Wolf and Bill Polian. I hope he is, but the odds are against it.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss
@joshweinfuss
Interesting anecdote from Jonathan Gannon that shows who Zaven Collins is as a person: Collins walked into Gannon's office at the Cardinals' Tempe practice facility before he has been informed one way or the other about his fifth-year option and told Gannon that whatever happens "I'm gonna be here every day. I'm gonna work on my game. I'm gonna have a good attitude. I'm gonna be team first."

"I appreciate that about him," Gannon said. "I really do because you want guys like that that can put on their blinders and go to work and be team-first guys. Like, that's who we want around here."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Historically speaking...the Cardinals have had mostly incorrect thinking. This franchise has done nothing to warrant the benefit of doubt. (kind of a separate convo tho)
Correct. All that REALLY matters is if they get value for their spend and he produces.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Howard Balzer
@HBalzer721
·
3m

Story coming soon
@cardswire
.usatoday.com with real numbers for Zaven Collins contract. Hint: The $14 million/$11.25 million guaranteed was NOT new money. The total included the previous base salary for this year in his deal
That makes it a little better, at least.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Howard Balzer
@HBalzer721
·
3m

Story coming soon
@cardswire
.usatoday.com with real numbers for Zaven Collins contract. Hint: The $14 million/$11.25 million guaranteed was NOT new money. The total included the previous base salary for this year in his deal
2024 - 6.8
2025 - 5.75
2026 - 6 (this is the get out year for AZ if they feel they need to. Can save 4.35 if they cut him)

Age 25-27 seasons.

Per OTC

@Stout I think you will find this more agreeable. Puts him in the DJ Wonnum / AJ Epenesa / Deatrich Wise range.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Firing offense, should be fired blah, blah, blah.
Yeah I don’t think I’ve seen those words either. He’s been critical of some of monti’s moves but I don’t think we’ve seen an iteration of “fire monti” from him. I could be wrong, but I’m not the one making the allegation.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
2024 - 6.8
2025 - 5.75
2026 - 6 (this is the get out year for AZ if they feel they need to. Can save 4.35 if they cut him)

Age 25-27 seasons.

Per OTC

@Stout I think you will find this more agreeable. Puts him in the DJ Wonnum / AJ Epenesa / Deatrich Wise range.
My guy did not exactly bet on himself here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As I replied to DVontel, I understand what he played in college. In the NFL, he had not really shown anything in terms of pass rush. That's been my only argument.
When he was played at ILB. It’s a weird argument (to me) to state that we hadn’t seen passrushing ability when that was his specialty in college and then he hadn’t trained and wasn’t played as a passrusher in the pros. If anything, passrusher was likely the most obvious place to employ his skills.

Doesn’t matter now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guy did not exactly bet on himself here.
He didn't but I feel like I understand the logic. He is comfortable with this staff. He has bought into the culture. He has a role in which to grow (potentially) without much competition. He is assured (as much as you can expect) to be in the same city for this season and next. If he does significantly improve, he can sign another extension at age 27 which isn't too old to get the bag.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He didn't but I feel like I understand the logic. He is comfortable with this staff. He has bought into the culture. He has a role in which to grow (potentially) without much competition. He is assured (as much as you can expect) to be in the same city for this season and next. If he does significantly improve, he can sign another extension at age 27 which isn't too old to get the bag.
Yes this is the thought process of losers. There's zero chance this contract isn't available in December or January if he does the exact stuff he did last year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't blame either side for their thought process here...if he has a bad year, maybe he doesn't get the same kind of offer in the offseason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05