2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually agree with some of these sans the NBA having a hard cap.

The players negotiating the agreement must have agreed with you.

IMO, the new CBA agreement comes very close to acting as a hard cap. Perhaps increased revenue down the road will soften the hit, but I believe it needs to be redone.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As always lots of grains of salt but one of the insider guys on Warriors world said that the agent for Markkanen has told the Warriors he prefers Golden State over Sacramento and New Orleans.

The claim is Ainge is looking for similar return to what the Nets got for Bridges, I don't know if the Warriors can do that. They don't want to send Kuminga in the deal they want to send Wiggins. But they would likely have to send several #1 picks.

But if you pull that off looks intriguing.

Draymond, JK, Lauri, Steph and Podz as a starting 5 with, backups TJD, Kyle Anderson, Melton, GP2(? ), Moody. They apparently think they can now keep Looney, originally it had looked like he might be a money casualty.

Still the only way that's a title contender is if Steph doesn't fall off, and Podz, Kuminga and Moody all take the next step.

Edit forgot Buddy Hield. I see him as one of the first guards off the bench. Probably means Moody would go in the Markkanen deal if they pull that off

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Knicks must really like Tyler Kolek signing him for a record amount of guaranteed money for a second round pick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point guard Kolek was drafted at #34 in the 2024 NBA Draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must be nice the Spurs are in position to draft and stash Juan Nunez.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The 76ers will waive center/forward Paul Reed. Some team will grab him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The players negotiating the agreement must have agreed with you.

IMO, the new CBA agreement comes very close to acting as a hard cap. Perhaps increased revenue down the road will soften the hit, but I believe it needs to be redone.

I like the new CBA. It's not something that favors the Suns at this time but had Sarver not sold it would have helped this team as a small/medium market franchise. It levels the playing field more and now teams like the Knicks, Lakers, Warriors, etc can't spend as much as they want to field a competitive team. There are real restrictions in place that keep them from spending beyond the cap.

Part of the issue now is the deal is still new and we aren't seeing many teams operating differently. When more teams come up on that second apron they'll see first hand how prohibitive it can be. Until more teams deal with it directly we won't see much change but that will come in the year or two.

It definitely sucks as a Suns fan that we now have an owner willing to spend but the system no longer allows owners to spend there way to contention.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t believe owners willing to spend should be punished and thought the same thing when Sarver was running this franchise into the ground. MLB has the best system IMO. If you’re willing to spend a crap ton of money to win the cheap/non-competitive teams should get a cut (even though I don’t feel those teams should be rewarded for not spending while making tons of money of tv deals).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the new CBA. It's not something that favors the Suns at this time but had Sarver not sold it would have helped this team as a small/medium market franchise. It levels the playing field more and now teams like the Knicks, Lakers, Warriors, etc can't spend as much as they want to field a competitive team. There are real restrictions in place that keep them from spending beyond the cap.

Part of the issue now is the deal is still new and we aren't seeing many teams operating differently. When more teams come up on that second apron they'll see first hand how prohibitive it can be. Until more teams deal with it directly we won't see much change but that will come in the year or two.

It definitely sucks as a Suns fan that we now have an owner willing to spend but the system no longer allows owners to spend there way to contention.

I'm definitely looking at it through Suns colored glasses. Colangelo bought the Suns a championship in baseball. Too bad the Suns didn't get a chance under Ishbia, although I think the trade for Durant was the thing that really set them back.

However, I think the new CBA taking away things from second apron teams like the exceptions and not being able to aggregate salaries in trade, are too restrictive.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I don’t believe owners willing to spend should be punished and thought the same thing when Sarver was running this franchise into the ground. MLB has the best system IMO. If you’re willing to spend a crap ton of money to win the cheap/non-competitive teams should get a cut (even though I don’t feel those teams should be rewarded for not spending while making tons of money of tv deals).
I like the NFL model of the cap, small markets compete in the NFL on the regular

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
The current NBA system was agree upon by the players, so I don't see much point in saying it needs to be altered.

If you want teams like the Lakers, Clippers, New York, Philadelphia, Houston, Chicago and Golden State having a financial upper hand year after year, then a system without financial restraints is for you. But if you want to see the teams like Utah, Portland, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee and New Orleans being able to compete, then you want some kind of restraint on the high-revenue teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another point guard looks to become a free agent, Devonte Graham.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landry Shamet will become a free agent. Don't tell James Jones.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis Bertans will also become a free agent.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No aggregating players in trade, matching salaries, no Exceptions, no signing waived players making over $12 million. The list goes on.
I get that they don't want teams over the apron from taking on other huge contracts, but some of these moves could lead to a team LOWERING their salary. The moves don't always lead to increasing salary. Sometimes a team needs to make a trade to make a part A of an ultimate team redo, to get to parts B,C, and D.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that they don't want teams over the apron from taking on other huge contracts, but some of these moves could lead to a team LOWERING their salary. The moves don't always lead to increasing salary. Sometimes a team needs to make a trade to make a part A of an ultimate team redo, to get to parts B,C, and D.

I prefer simpler equations like E=MC2. This is what the new CBA has done to me. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many players are getting waived. The Suns should have a lot of options to fill the 15th slot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take Bertrans or Poku as a stretch big to fill out the roster. Bertrans seems more like a Bud type big offensively.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take Bertrans or Poku as a stretch big to fill out the roster. Bertrans seems more like a Bud type big offensively.

He murdered us three years ago and I remember him talking ish to our guys. I’ve never seen him so pumped and emotional.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just that. Nothing they've tried has stemmed the tide so they put together a plan that they believe will turn "second apron" into the one place that no franchise wants to end up in. They don't care about how unhappy it makes the big spending teams, they want them to suffer in order to force real change. So, think of the Second Apron as NBA speak for Cap Hell.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dario Saric will continue to haunt the Suns as he signs with the Nuggets.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He murdered us three years ago and I remember him talking ish to our guys. I’ve never seen him so pumped and emotional.

If I'm not mistaken, we helped get him overpaid. So in a way, he owes us. At the minimum I'd be happy with him as a C or PF option.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's not just that. Nothing they've tried has stemmed the tide so they put together a plan that they believe will turn "second apron" into the one place that no franchise wants to end up in. They don't care about how unhappy it makes the big spending teams, they want them to suffer in order to force real change. So, think of the Second Apron as NBA speak for Cap Hell.
That's a great way to look at it. The NBA needs to figure out part two. They made the second apron HELL as you describe it. Where's the religion? Where's the path to salvation? How does a team leave HELL? That's not provided. There was a lot of thought in creating Cap Hell, but not much on how teams should be allowed to escape it and enter back into the fold.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great way to look at it. The NBA needs to figure out part two. They made the second apron HELL as you describe it. Where's the religion? Where's the path to salvation? How does a team leave HELL? That's not provided. There was a lot of thought in creating Cap Hell, but not much on how teams should be allowed to escape it and enter back into the fold.

Teams could let expensive contracts expire or trade them to a team that could absorb them.