Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And those teams make sense, Cleveland with Garland and Sexton and Atlanta with Trae Young. Sacramento had DeAaron Fox, Davion Mitchell, and someone else whose name escapes me but the folks in Sacramento weren't pass first PG's like Haliburton. It took Halliburton for Fox to come into his own also.

Also the idea that Paul wouldn't tutor him is a joke also. Paul had just helped along guys in OKC and has always been a willing teacher. He did just sign in San Antonio for that reason.

Such a bad draft for James Jones and the Suns.
I know I wanted Haliburton, and most others on this board did. I wonder if we would have effectively developed him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns passing on Haliburton in the 2020 draft still hurts. This alone would have been enough for me to fire James Jones if I were the owner.

Tyrese Haliburton again confirms he was available for any team to draft except perhaps Atlanta And Cleveland.

By Kellan Ollson, Suns reporter, ArizonaSports.com editor:

“The truth is if I told one or two teams not to draft me, it was Atlanta and it was Cleveland,” Haliburton said in February 2022, noting those were two teams at the time that already had a few young guards.

“From there, it was open season for everybody. And they didn’t pick me.”

---------------------------------------------

Would he have been open to learning from Paul while forming a long-term backcourt with Booker?

“For sure, no question,” Haliburton said.

-----------------------------------------------

Haliburton said to Arizona Sports he had zero communication with the Suns during the pre-draft process.

Monty took Cam Payne under his wing in OKC and when they gave him a shot and were intoxicated by his performance in the bubble. They were never taking Haliburton and sounds like it wasn’t even a consideration (he wasn’t in the Gambo 5 leading up to the draft). Payne was a nice backup for a year and had a big game vs the Clippers in the playoffs but is essentially a journeyman backup.

Also think Monty hated Ayton since the suspension in 2020 and thought Stix might’ve been a future replacement. Of course he had nothing more than backup upside. Ppl think I’m too easy on James Jones but I just think he’s more of a figurehead because he’s well respected by players around the league.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jones took a gamble on stix they were not taking a point guard. How hard is that to understand

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty took Cam Payne under his wing in OKC and when they gave him a shot and were intoxicated by his performance in the bubble. They were never taking Haliburton and sounds like it wasn’t even a consideration (he wasn’t in the Gambo 5 leading up to the draft). Payne was a nice backup for a year and had a big game vs the Clippers in the playoffs but is essentially a journeyman backup.

Also think Monty hated Ayton since the suspension in 2020 and thought Stix might’ve been a future replacement. Of course he had nothing more than backup upside. Ppl think I’m too easy on James Jones but I just think he’s more of a figurehead because he’s well respected by players around the league.

Cam was always more of a combo guard with PG skills. He could have played alongside Halliburton. Even if we had Cam, James Jones 3x5 "philosophy" would say we need 1 more PG. So either Jones is a liar or an idiot.

As far Ayton goes, I believe the suspension set him and Monty down a rocky path they didn't recover from. That was Monty's first impression, really, as he'd just taken over coach and was tasked with changing the culture. I think Ayton's antics in the bubble are what soured the relationship beyond repair though. When Ayton didn't get tested in time and missed the first half of a game as a result. They made it work the next year but I think Monty was pushing for a trade all along.

Stix wouldn't have been a Monty guy since Monty did not play him. The only time Stix saw real time was when Monty had covid and Kevin Young coached. He did look good then but that was year 2 and his 3rd year option had been declined. In Stix rookie season he played in 27 of 72 games and only went over 10 minutes 3 times, 1 was a garbage game that was the final game of the season. I don't know why he was drafted but it didn't appear anyone was sold on him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me, it's always draft the BPA. Not only was Haliburton the BPA, he filled a future need. James Jones should have drafted Haliburton and not even blinked.

If Monty wanted Stix to play center, he would have played him there instead of the corner, shooting threes.

Cam Payne was a nice find in the bubble for a team needing a backup point guard, but he never had the potential to become a star player. Then the Suns trade him to the Spurs for virtually nothing in return last summer.

If James Jones is only a figurehead since he has been the Suns GM, someone needs to pull back the curtain because Mat Ishbia is only a relatively recent arrival.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a list of the best available remaing free agents per Evan Sidery.

I'd like for the Suns to get at least one, preferably two.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's a better list than last year around this time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would still like them to get another PG (Jones, Lowry, Fultz, Smith).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a better list than last year around this time.

Yeah, I only wish the Suns could add a couple of players from this list.

Maybe Lowry, Reed or Achiuwa might be obtainable for the veteran minimum. Trent Jones Jr., Saddiq Bey and Tyus Jones will be in high demand.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would still like them to get another PG (Jones, Lowry, Fultz, Smith).

The same here. I'd like a point guard and a big man. The Suns could waive or possibly trade Roddy with a second round pick.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very hard, because we needed a PG and he was by FAR the best player on the board.
We needed size more. Maybe the poison with Monty and Crowder was seeded all ready. They should of could have for 3 plus years is old

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same here. I'd like a point guard and a big man. The Suns could waive or possibly trade Roddy with a second round pick.

Same i'd like to move on from Roddy for someone with a higher floor and ceiling.

Also JO is about to find out where he really stands in the market, there are quite a few players on that list i would take over JO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are reportedly still trying to re-sign Josh Okogie and have interest in Kyle Lowry as well.

IMO, the Suns should quit being comfortable if they want to contend.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Reed is going to the Pistons.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could lose out on Lowry if he returns to Philadelphia.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We needed size more. Maybe the poison with Monty and Crowder was seeded all ready. They should of could have for 3 plus years is old
No, we needed an impact young player, and I did not give a crap what position. I was screaming to select him at the time and I undersold how good he would be.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are reportedly still trying to re-sign Josh Okogie and have interest in Kyle Lowry as well.

IMO, the Suns should quit being comfortable if they want to contend.

They aren't going to contend. You need to get real.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren't going to contend. You need to get real.

No, the Suns need to get real.

They need to plug in another playable point guard and another big man, then get really lucky.