Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a predictable and stupid series of managerial decisions

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it wasn't for Sewald, the Diamondbacks would be on a nine-game winning streak.

Gambler

Veteran
Reaction score
2 observations that were made at the time. Joc should have gone home. It was a very difficult catch with little chance of making a good throw in time. We are at home. Go for the run (win). They are throwing the ball on the outside of the corner to Walker. He has to stop trying to pull that pitch and step into it to the opposite field. They have caught on.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't for Sewald, the Diamondbacks would be on a nine-game winning streak.

It's easy to put it on Sewald but again you were facing a guy with an over 1 OPS against lefties and your manager just ignored that

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Care to elaborate? I saw plenty of player miscues too.

Sure batting 4 righties in a row in the heart of the lineup against a guy with success against righties. Not batting McCarthy against a guy giving up an over 1 OPS against lefties. Letting Suarez hit 7th in this situation when he should be 9th.

This is basic and I really mean basic analytics

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lefties today including Marte: 3 hits 3 walks

The righties: 1 hit 1 walk

Gambler

Veteran
Reaction score
Sure batting 4 righties in a row in the heart of the lineup against a guy with success against righties. Not batting McCarthy against a guy giving up an over 1 OPS against lefties. Letting Suarez hit 7th in this situation when he should be 9th.

This is basic and I really mean basic analytics
Fair enough.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Sewald needs to be DFA'd. He is not a closer. After blowing those two saves last week, I knew he was gone mentally. He might save a game or two the rest of the way, but it will be purely based on luck. Hazen/Lovullo's continued use of him as closer will cost the DBacks a playoff spot. Sewald is toast.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Sewald needs to be DFA'd. He is not a closer. After blowing those two saves last week, I knew he was gone mentally. He might save a game or two the rest of the way, but it will be purely based on luck. Hazen/Lovullo's continued use of him as closer will cost the DBacks a playoff spot. Sewald is toast.
He does not have closer stuff - Martinez does.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Sewald has gone full Craig Kimbrel. Totally unreliable.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last night was heartbreaking. Losing a second game with 2 outs in the 9th like that was hard.

We might be over reacting though when it comes to Sewald. He’s definitely struggling, but he had 11 straight saves with a whip and era of .5.

The guy is having a bad week.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last night was heartbreaking. Losing a second game with 2 outs in the 9th like that was hard.

We might be over reacting though when it comes to Sewald. He’s definitely struggling, but he had 11 straight saves with a whip and era of .5.

The guy is having a bad week.
That bad week has cost us 3 wins.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
That bad week has cost us 3 wins.
It is worse than that. Sewald's mental meltdown will cost the DBacks a playoff spot - if Hazen/Lovullo continue to use him in closer role. Try him in long relief or as a set up man for the closer - but not the closer. If the DBacks have a chance at a save tonight (it would be a miracle against Sale, arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now), the genius Lovullo better not go to Sewald again. That would be baseball suicide.

Gambler

Veteran
Reaction score
It is worse than that. Sewald's mental meltdown will cost the DBacks a playoff spot - if Hazen/Lovullo continue to use him in closer role. Try him in long relief or as a set up man for the closer - but not the closer. If the DBacks have a chance at a save tonight (it would be a miracle against Sale, arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now), the genius Lovullo better not go to Sewald again. That would be baseball suicide.
Just asking. Didn’t Sewald have 11 consecutive saves with a really low WHIP and ERA before the last 3 disasters? It is a tough decision to demote him. Yes, I have been crushed by his last 3 appearances but thankfully it is not my decision to make.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not for nothing but Sewald struck out rasario and the blue missed it. Why bring that up now you ask,,, cause this douche just called a strike a ball for Gallen down in the zone and a ball that almost went into the dirt a strike from sale.

I’m over these guys having such an impact on the game. In all sports by the way. Suarez is struggling but he was forced to swing at the next two pitches cause the blue called the first one. Strait BS

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Not even Luke Skywalker Gallen could save the DBacks from another crushing loss tonight. Hopefully the DBacks can manage to win 1 game of this 4 game series against the Death Star. Hope springs eternal.