10 thoughts - Saints game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – My approach to preseason games always is that yes, most of the players are 2nd-, 3rd-, or maybe even 4th-stringers, but that goes for all of them, and thus, we can still evaluate the players on an even level. Translation: if a player does well, it is not only because he is playing against “bad” players.

2 – Sure, Trey Benson and James Connor are a promising duo, but Michael Carter will still have a role to play. I´m telling you, he will not get lost in the shuffle.

3 – Look out for the Italian-named guys! Andre Baccellia and Dan Chisena repeatedly made contested catches and got open. It will be more competitive than expected to get a spot in the WR room.

4 – Cornerback Darren Hall is a baller.

5 – I am not saying that Christian Jones is playing himself onto the starting offensive line, but this sure was a good performance.

6 – Some days ago I got into a little turbulence here by suggesting that the Cards should aim big to improve the edge rush (specifically, ask the Giants if they would sell Kayvon Thibodeaux), but then look at this game. Do you truly prefer that instead of asking some team for one of their players, with the risk of getting a no? I am not too vain for that. Adding to the edge rush department is crucial.

(That said, taking a chance on signing a relatively low floor-high ceiling player like either Yannick Ngakoue or Carl Lawson might be the best way to go, all things considered, but that is another talk)

7 – I still think the trade for Desmond Ridder was great (primarily because of the prize), but Clayton Tune certainly outplayed him.

8 – Starling Thomas seems like a lock to make the final roster.

9 – On a bad d-line, Dante Stills stood out. As expected, sure, but still nice to see that he has continued to build on his impressive first season.

10 – I really like the new uniforms. Look great in action.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
2 – Sure, Trey Benson and James Connor are a promising duo, but Michael Carter will still have a role to play. I´m telling you, he will not get lost in the shuffle.
YES! That decision is gonna be a tough one, because those boys looked GOOD yetsreday.

4 – Cornerback Darren Hall is a baller.
I haven't seen this much physicality from our CB's in I don't know how many years. He and Starling were something else. Add in Dadrion and that secondary meant business on the tackling/hitting front.

10 – I really like the new uniforms. Look great in action.
I could still use a white stripe on those pants though. LOL.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Disagree. Level of competition matters. It matters a lot.
QB for example..Ridder played against first and second team defense...as did the oline blocking for him.
Tune played against third team, practice squad guys, and car salesmen...he damn sure better have performed better than Ridder.
On the flip side. Our mostly second team defense held the Saints starting offense to nothing really.. that is very promising.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
#5-When was Christian Jones in the game? Was he a starter and did he play right or left tackle?

Thanks.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wasnt impressed with any of the 3rd rounders TBH. I'd say Jones did look the part.

Disappointing that Palmer was a non factor.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The rest of the line had a rough time mostly. Colon was decent at center and Barton was decent. Adam’s and Wilkinson didn’t do so well.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
A few additional comments…

The OL.
We fielded our 2nd team against Saints’ 1st team DL and it showed. The performance was not good, But I’m not in panic mode. Our 4th OT going against Chase Young is a battle Lost 99 of 100 times. This Unit is not supposed to go against 1st stringers as a Unit. The question is How one of those players look playing in a Unit with 4 of the 5 starters?
Biggest negative was without question rookie Isaiah Adams. This was a Very Poor performance. He is not ready.
Wilkinson also didn’t look Good, But I Will give him the benefit of doubt to some extend. He is the 4th OT on the roster.
On a positive note - a couple of 3rd stringers looked good (Hayes and Christian Jones), but of course Good going against Saints’ 2nd and 3rd team.

Tip Reiman
Heard a Cardinals podcast blasting Reiman because of his zero involvement in the passing game while the other TEs were. My honest thought was: “Do you guys know Anything about the game?”
Reiman’s primary role is as a blocking TE and the coaches gave him play after play to learn the scheme against saints’ 1st team. They are trying to make sure that he Can start without being a liability. Who cares about him being involved in the passing game against 3rd stringers at the point? Reiman’s performance blocking was ups and downs.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
QB for example..Ridder played against first and second team defense...as did the oline blocking for him.
Tune played against third team, practice squad guys, and car salesmen...he damn sure better have performed better than Ridder.
On the flip side. Our mostly second team defense held the Saints starting offense to nothing really.. that is very promising.
Oaken, no excuse for the missed throws. Baccellia AND Paschal were TD's, period. Performing against a 1st, 2nd or 3rd team defense is one thing, making throws that a pro NFL QB is supposed to make is another.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember if there was a reason we took Adams instead of Cooper Beebe; Beebe looked amazing in his preseason game. I know Adams has time to improve, but in the back of my mind I worry our scouting team takes way too much stock in the senior bowl.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A few additional comments…

The OL.
We fielded our 2nd team against Saints’ 1st team DL and it showed. The performance was not good, But I’m not in panic mode. Our 4th OT going against Chase Young is a battle Lost 99 of 100 times. This Unit is not supposed to go against 1st stringers as a Unit. The question is How one of those players look playing in a Unit with 4 of the 5 starters?
Biggest negative was without question rookie Isaiah Adams. This was a Very Poor performance. He is not ready.
Wilkinson also didn’t look Good, But I Will give him the benefit of doubt to some extend. He is the 4th OT on the roster.
On a positive note - a couple of 3rd stringers looked good (Hayes and Christian Jones), but of course Good going against Saints’ 2nd and 3rd team.

Tip Reiman
Heard a Cardinals podcast blasting Reiman because of his zero involvement in the passing game while the other TEs were. My honest thought was: “Do you guys know Anything about the game?”
Reiman’s primary role is as a blocking TE and the coaches gave him play after play to learn the scheme against saints’ 1st team. They are trying to make sure that he Can start without being a liability. Who cares about him being involved in the passing game against 3rd stringers at the point? Reiman’s performance blocking was ups and downs.
I think the Reiman reaction is because a lot of people, including posters here, weirdly think he's going to be a major threat in the passing game. He's a blocking TE pure and simple, and anything else from him will be gravy.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember if there was a reason we took Adams instead of Cooper Beebe; Beebe looked amazing in his preseason game. I know Adams has time to improve, but in the back of my mind I worry our scouting team takes way too much stock in the senior bowl.
If you recall, many of us found it to be a mistake.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I think the Reiman reaction is because a lot of people, including posters here, weirdly think he's going to be a major threat in the passing game. He's a blocking TE pure and simple, and anything else from him will be gravy.
I Think he Will eventually, but TE is arguebly the hardest position to transition to after QB, so have No expectation for him to play Any major role in the passing offense Until late this season.
He has to solidify himself as a blocker first

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There was concern about Beebe's agility in our system. He looked good though.

Ironically I came away from that Rams game thinking the Rams got another WR steal. Meanwhile Palmer might not even make the team/practice squad.

At least Weaver looks like he could be a decent backup to Dortch for special teams.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Of course it matters, Oaken, and I agree that it can have a big impact on quarterback-play. The rest, though, is mostly about one-on-one battles, and almost all the players are bottom of the roster backups. Does it matter if an edge rusher beat the third- or fourth string offensive tackle? The point is that none of the biggest contributors play much anyway (if at all).

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Disappointing that Palmer was a non factor.
I think he had six targets and one catch, SL. I know that all of them would have been impressive catches, but I mean, that is what you need to make in the NFL.

Okay, there was a bad PI call in there, but that is still four missed catches.