15 thoughts - training camp

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You guys pretty quick to throw dirt on Elijah Higgins' grave! But while I like Higgins, I admit he isn't a great blocker either.

The rook TE will get plenty of reps in the pre-season. I'll be watching him carefully to see if he's really the road-grader everyone says he is!
Oh I still like higgins as a developmental project. He’s got some spice in the passing game. It’s just he wouldn’t be deployed as often with mcbride with a tip around. I love the three of them as our te room.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh I still like higgins as a developmental project. He’s got some spice in the passing game. It’s just he wouldn’t be deployed as often with mcbride with a tip around. I love the three of them as our te room.
Ouchie, I think that Higgins will play more than you think. Petzing's system favors tight ends a lot, and even though Higgins is no Geoff Swaim as a blocker, he is still good enough to be used in a role. I would not be surprised if Petzing often calls packages with only two WR and three TE.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
so apparently LAST YEAR (2023) Jon Gaines tore his ACL. Was that ever reported?

i remember talk of a knee injury and that he was going on IR, but never read it was that serious. I am just behind?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so apparently LAST YEAR (2023) Jon Gaines tore his ACL. Was that ever reported?

i remember talk of a knee injury and that he was going on IR, but never read it was that serious. I am just behind?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think that is very interesting. He was one of the players I mentioned in the original post, but to be honest, I did not expect much from him, and saw it as much more likely that Isaiah Adams or Christian Jones would play LG, if one of the young guys took the spot. But of course, it doesn't mean much what Gaines does at the start of training camp.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think that is very interesting. He was one of the players I mentioned in the original post, but to be honest, I did not expect much from him, and saw it as much more likely that Isaiah Adams or Christian Jones would play LG, if one of the young guys took the spot. But of course, it doesn't mean much what Gaines does at the start of training camp.
O-line reps shuffled a bit as Jon Gaines gets work with starters

Good breakdown below

Here is how the offensive line units looked from left to right:

• Starters: Paris Johnson, Evan Brown (some reps to Jon Gaines), Hjalte Froholdt, Will Hernandez, Jonah Williams
  • Second team: Elijah Wilkinson, Jon Gaines/Isaiah Adams/Marquis Hayes, Trystan Colon/Evan Brown, Dennis Daley/Isaiah Adams, Kelvin Beachum
  • Third team: Austen Pleasants, Marquis Hayes, Keith Ismael, Jackson Barton, Christian Jones

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It means a lot to the coaches who want to see him with the projected starters. Could have been Mo but it wasn’t.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

Good breakdown below

• Starters: Paris Johnson, Evan Brown (some reps to Jon Gaines), Hjalte Froholdt, Will Hernandez, Jonah Williams
  • Second team: Elijah Wilkinson, Jon Gaines/Isaiah Adams/Marquis Hayes, Trystan Colon/Evan Brown, Dennis Daley/Isaiah Adams, Kelvin Beachum
  • Third team: Austen Pleasants, Marquis Hayes, Keith Ismael, Jackson Barton, Christian Jones
Couple of interesting notes here (trying to read between the Lines).

- The 4 expected locks are locks (PJJ, Froholdt, Hernandez and Williams)
- Christian Jones with the 3rd team.
- Isaiah Adams is not pushing for starting role at the moment.
- The LG spot is open competition.
- Gaines is pushing for starter role.
- Brown is back-up C.
- Wilkenson Seem to be best of the rest and 9th OL
- Colon, Daley, Hayes and Christian Jones are fighting for the 10th spot that Might not even be available

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Good breakdown below

I forget where I read this, but Gannon did talk about shuffling backups into different starting units to get them used to it ala a game environment. Not saying Gaines can't crack the starting lineup but I think it is more of this.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget where I read this, but Gannon did talk about shuffling backups into different starting units to get them used to it ala a game environment. Not saying Gaines can't crack the starting lineup but I think it is more of this.
This makes more sense

I'm enjoying JG's approach on some things

These are what good coaching staffs do

Hopefully it pays off being prepared

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gannon did single out Gaines for praise though.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
15 – Someone will be the training camp-darling among fans and media. Who? My shot in the dark is on either Dante Stills or Myles Murphy from the defensive line.
It seems that it is Greg Dortch, which I am very happy about.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gannon did single out Gaines for praise though.
While he noted that he's happy with Gaines' progress and eventual full go return from injury, I believe Gannon used the words "pretty good" when describing him, and reporters used the words "praise" when writing their lede. Pretty good is not praise in my book. Its pragmatic.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
While he noted that he's happy with Gaines' progress and eventual full go return from injury, I believe Gannon used the words "pretty good" when describing him, and reporters used the words "praise" when writing their lede. Pretty good is not praise in my book. Its pragmatic.
I'll take pretty good at this point. Beats the absolute nothing/injury nightmare he was last year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat