2006 World Cup

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
It probably wont make a difference, but Italy just scored on a goal by Inzaghi to make it 2-0.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What a waste of an opportunity.

I think that as a US follower I was seriously misled as to the quality of this team. They are not good at all. Italy came through like we needed, but as usual we fizzle out.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another stupid play by Donovan. This team can't pass at all. Why are they even in this competition?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ah, here come the "difficult group" excuses already. Nice, US. This was the "expected" win.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Finally, the misery is over. Good luck to Italy and Ghana, who are done after their next games.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder if when the congratulate each other if they say things like "Nice dive" and such.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wynalda just onloaded on Arena, saying that he "just screwed up" the World Cup for the US side.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
A game knowing we have to win and we come out with the game plan we used against the Czechs.

Bruce Arena needs to be fired. I say break open the bank for Hiddink--supposedly he is going to Russia after the WC but we can buy him away.

Bye bye...Reyna, McBride, Pope, Lewis, Olsen and Keller :wave: Probably some others as well...time to look toward the future of US soccer. I look forward to seeing what Adu, Szetela, Gaven, Wynne, Nguyen, Twellman, Dunivant, Pearce, Spector, Whitbred and our other youngsters can bring to this team over the next couple of years.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
US needs to worry only about Ghana and let the rest play out as it will. If they do beat Ghana and do not advance, then so be it. But to lose to Ghana (not that they aren't good) and then have Italy win would be tough to take.

It was tough to take...

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Dont count out Italy. They are horrible to watch, but they have some success playing this kind of style.

There next round opponent will either be Australia or Croatia(if Brazil does not lose against Japan), not powerhouses on their own. Their quarterfinal opponent will probably be one of France, Switzerland, Togo, Ukraine, Saudi-Arabia or Tunesia. Must be the potentially easiest route to the semis of any team. Dont forget that they are difficult to score on and in Cannavaro and Nesta still have one of the best (if not the best) central defending duos around. Hopefully the Aussis will take revenge for you guys :)

Reaction score
Regardless of some abominable officiating, the U.S. team gave an extremely poor showing. They need a new coach and fresh players!!!

Very disappointing...

:(

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
Wynalda just onloaded on Arena, saying that he "just screwed up" the World Cup for the US side.

Wynalda is dead on. Not starting Eddie Johnson today was just stupid. All he had to do was put Lewis on the bench and have Johnson start up top.

The PK was BS but it didn't matter as the US never really was much of a challenge in the offensive end--it probably would have just ended as a tie anyway. It was a problem in the "send off series" and it continued right in to the World Cup.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Zeno said:
The PK was BS but it didn't matter as the US never really was much of a challenge in the offensive end--it probably would have just ended as a tie anyway.

I just sucks to be on the wrong end of "controversial" calls throughout the tournament. It just makes you scratch your head. Maybe the cards were warranted vs Italy, but they didn't care because their challenges weren't met with cards. So they get the gifts, as did Ghana today. The US stunk, plain as day, but they also got more that their fair share of the shaft.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Renz's scrotum survives!
Whew! :D

We didn't deserve to advance. I'm glad we won't have to watch this team anymore. Reyna should have stayed in Manchester for all the positives he brought to the Cup. Turn in your armband, Claudio!

McBride played well for Fulham last season. His performance was very disappointing as well.

I really hope Arena resigns. This is arguably worse than '98 when you factor in the high expectations for this World Cup. From the quarterfinals to last in our group is unacceptable.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Steve Cherondolu and Claudio Reyna were in a longer interview on German Television Station "Premiere", speaking about the game. Both had sth to say about the referee of the Italy game which probably doesnt match some of the views on this site :) , but were sad(more than angry-disappointment seemed to be the overwhelming feeling) because of the unwarranted penalty awarded against them today.

They also said that they felt that the second half of the game was not a display of great offensive football but that they had some good chances to score nevertheless, eg the header hitting the bar.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Renz said:
I really hope Arena resigns. This is arguably worse than '98 when you factor in the high expectations for this World Cup. From the quarterfinals to last in our group is unacceptable.
To put it in perspective:

France won the World Cup in 1998 and didnt get out of the first round in 2002, not even scoring a goal in the tournament (players were mostly the same).Greece won the 2004 Eurochampionchips and didnt even qualify for this World Cup.

Expectations were too high in the US (largely because of Fifas ridicolous World Ranking), and they had some bad luck in the tournament. Dont be too hard on the team and the coach, you had a difficult group to begin with and it was unrealistic from the beginning to believe that they would come out of that group.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
No question the US was overrated. Any half-way knowledgable soccer fan knows that FIFA's rankings are a joke.

I just don't understand Arena's thought process coming into this WC. IMO he had too much respect for his opponents and constantly played not to lose insteading of trying to take the game to the other team. BA has to go IMO.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys I dont want to see on this team in 4 years

Arena, Donovan, Reyna, Howard, Onyewu, Beasley

Seems Stout was right. That formation was our doom and hopefully Arena's as well.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
On a separate note, we are going to win the world cup in 2026. Cool, huh.

1990: Suck
1994: 2nd Round
1998: Suck
2002: Quarters

~OK, here's how its going to go, its a pattern of course.~

2006: Suck
2010: Semis
2014: Suck
2018: World Cup Final (Loser)
2022: Suck
2026: World Cup Final (Winner)

At least we have that to look forward to! :|

:grabs:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Guys I dont want to see on this team in 4 years

Arena, Donovan, Reyna, Howard, Onyewu, Beasley

Seems Stout was right. That formation was our doom and hopefully Arena's as well.

I'm pretty sure that is going a bit overboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05