2006 World Cup

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Stupid play by Reyna, but impact on his knee nevertheless. Things like that hurt for real...

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The US hasn't even scored a goal in the entire competition thus far. They credited with one vs Italy, but that was scored by Italy.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess that Reyna needs someone else to clean up his mess...he is subbed out for Olsen at around 40 minutes.

Last edited:

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
They seem to be able to score some goals right now...and the ref made the close but right call :)

The Czech are one man down, by the way, via a second yellow on Pollack.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nate said:
They seem to be able to score some goals right now...and the ref made the close but right call :)

The Czech are one man down, by the way, via a second yellow on Pollack.

You are referring to a non-offsides call?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Refs score again. And we wonder why the US can't win? Why even send a team? This is rediculous. Trying to beat 12 men is just inexcusable.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
2 thoughts. One, Arena needs to be sacked. Within 30 minutes of the game if we cannot advance. His stubborn refusal to adjust his formation EVEN WHEN WE NEED TO WIN is killing us. Beasley made a nice play to get us a goal, but that's not due to formation. McBride all alone up front is asinine.

After that, I must say, this referee has steadily SUCKED today...on both sides. 3 cards that shouldn't have been issued (2 against Ghana) and a horrendous, abysmall, and absolutely inexcusable penalty kick called. Incredibly horrific referee, but at least he's consistent.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
You are referring to a non-offsides call?

Yes, close call to not call it offside as both US players were exactly on the same line. Thereby absolutely the right call.

The penalty call I really dont like. There was contact but in my mind definitely not worthy of a penalty. As for Merk, he has ruled some contacts like that as worthy of a penalty before.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Stout, as always your thoughts are way off :). You are so predictable wrong when it comes to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
McBride...is he even playing? I absolutely can't wait until he and Reyna retire from the National Team. Arena shows entirely too much loyalty to his aging players.

If you are going to play a lone striker it should be Johnson or Wolff or had he included him on the roster Twellman. McBride can do nothing without a partner up there.

Stout

Reaction score
Nate said:
Assignment match 45: Togo - France - Jorge Larrionda

So? FIFA (or should I say the NBA part II) rallied behind a bad official and upheld lousy referee play. I'm not shocked or surprised. Disappointed, for sure, but in hindsight I should have expected it. Our team knows the truth--we were controlling the game and suddenly had it taken away from us by an outside influence that forced us to play for the draw.

Today, again, we were starting to take control (huge momentum swing in our favor) and again, the outside influence took the game away from us. As someone mentioned, it's impossible for us to play 11 against 12. Sure, Arena set us up for failure, but the ref absolutely cornholed us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it halftime now, my ESPN gamecast isn't updating but it doesn't seem to say it's halftime either.

Question on the Mexico game, I saw the opener of that game yesterday morning and I think Portugal had FIVE starters sitting out with one yellow card because the coach didn't want to lose any of them for the next round to a 2nd yellow. How in the hell did Mexico lose to a team with 5 backups playing, I thought Mexico was supposed to be a really good team this time around?

Stout

Reaction score
Nate said:
Stout, as always your thoughts are way off :). You are so predictable wrong when it comes to me.

Well, as you are usually so predictably wrong when it comes to ref calls, I figured I had you pegged. Of course, I noticed you did still defend the ref, even though you disagreed with the call. He completely flubbed it, and I'm rightly upset about it. I'm thankful you actually agree it was a bad call.

Time for some of this overaggressive reffing to actually go OUR way. Hopefully that ref realizes his mistake and comes out and actually gives US an advantage. Nah, I doubt it...NOT screwing the US in this World Cup? Not likely.

We should be tied 1-1. If we end up drawing 2-2, then we will have been taken out of the round of 16 by the officiating, period.

Stout

Reaction score
If we don't have offensive subbing in the 2nd half, I will be sooo pissed. Arena has constantly stuck to a formation that has proven to lack offensive firepower in a game he KNOWS we have to win. If he doesn't fix it, he gets the sack. Period.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Stout said:
Well, as you are usually so predictably wrong when it comes to ref calls, I figured I had you pegged. Of course, I noticed you did still defend the ref, even though you disagreed with the call. He completely flubbed it, and I'm rightly upset about it. I'm thankful you actually agree it was a bad call.

I dont defend the ref for his call but against predictable allegations of a fixed outcome as Merk has made such calls before. Just ask Beckenbauer :) (as some were against Bayern Munich). That doesnt make this call less brutal or wrong or whatever, though, but I somehow doubt that you will understand or just care to understand the difference...

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
NNNOOOOOOO not more Stout ref bashing ;) thats all we needed!

cant see game as still at work!! - says it was debatable pen to say the least on the web!!

come on guys - would love to see you go through! :thumbup:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looks to be about it. So, the US scores one goal in competition? Will it end with this big of a whimper, against what was supposed to be the knock-off of the group?

So the penalty kick really didn't matter. If ths US doesn't score another, then we can't really say that it cost us the world cup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05