2009 San Francisco 49ers "Season" thread!!

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Pretty upsetting isn't it? It would have been better if the 49ers had passed on Crabtree at this point and taken a different WR later in the draft. Maybe you don't get the talent of Crabtree, but you'd get a WR that has shown up for the camps and is ready to go for the season opener.

The 49ers are still in need of a top notch WR. Any interest in a Harrison, Marshall, or Jerry Porter?

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Please get rid of the Taser/Wildcat/Wildniner.....it's a terrible play.

Battle,Coffee, Gore, Willis...all looked good

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We are officially loaded with RB's.
This Korey Sheets jump for the touchdown was sick.
You must be registered for see images

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
Please get rid of the Taser/Wildcat/Wildniner.....it's a terrible play.

Battle,Coffee, Gore, Willis...all looked good
Coach Singletary seemed pleased by the Taser. He said how it was the 1st time it was tried in game. Sounds like you'll see a lot more of it. :p

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jimmy Raye pays little attention to preseason statistics, but he has a figure in mind for the regular season: 60-40.
In taking over for Martz, Raye noted that the 49ers aren't built for aerial displays. He said the best bet is to let Gore carry the load, with help from rookie Glen Coffee and the offensive line.
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_13248872

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crabtree’s holdout from 49ers defies all logic
posted a piece earlier today on NFL.com on the ongoing holdout of San Francisco 49ers first-round pick Michael Crabtree, and wanted to make sure all my loyal readers got a chance to take a look if they wanted to give it a read.
The way I see it, the only rational move is to sign a contract with the 49ers, and the sooner the better. When you breakdown Crabtree’s situation as the 10th overall pick, still being unsigned, his lack of leverage is glaring.
All logic points to him taking what is on the table right now. The risks in no way justify the potential rewards of any other course of action. I haven’t found a single agent, cap expert or team exec to say otherwise. The 49ers have acted in good faith and made a slotted offer. Crabtree’s best opportunity to make close to what the 10th pick in the draft should be getting is to sign immediately and start figuring out what it takes to be a top receiver in the NFL. The more time he wastes, the further behind he falls, the more money he stands the chance of costing himself.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/09/02/crabtrees-holdout-from-49ers-defies-all-logic/

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Workout warrior that he is, Clements is no slouch in the abs department, either, but it's players on Super Bowl teams who command most of the attention. Still in a jovial mood, Clements joked that he was used as the trainer in the abs-centric movie "300."
No joking matter is Clements' assignment Sept. 13 in the regular-season opener: cover boy Fitzgerald. Considering the trifling nature of Friday's final exhibition game in San Diego, Clements has already turned his attention to the imposing figure of the 6-foot-3, 217-pound Cardinals receiver.
In two games a year ago, Fitzgerald had 31 and 49 yards in receptions while being shadowed by Clements. Included in that total were two touchdowns, however, in the Cardinals' two wins over the 49ers.
"I love the challenge of the top receivers," he said. "I'm going to be asking for it. I'll look at film, see things to take away from them, what each receiver's strength is. I basically watch the film and apply it at practice and by game time I'm ready."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/03/SP2F19HGMU.DTL#ixzz0Q3XeAkRD
Defensive coordinator Greg Manusky acknowledged that Clements has not played well in the preseason but said it's not important because, well, it's the preseason and none of it counts. "As long as it's done in the preseason, it's OK and it doesn't happen in the regular season," Manusky said. "He has had a pretty good camp leading up to a couple of those games and having those things happen. He has to trust his technique and his eyes and work with that."

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/04/SPKT19I5QH.DTL
Taking a long look at Davis
If Nate Davis really is the future of the 49ers at the quarterback position, fans will get a chance to see plenty of the rookie tonight in San Diego in an otherwise unwatchable final preseason game against the Chargers.
Rookie free agent Kory Sheets appears to have done enough to make the team but with Frank Gore a healthy scratch from this game, Sheets will get his carries against the Chargers. Sheets has 144 rushing yards in the preseason, second to fellow rookie Glen Coffee's 230.
"As far as Crabtree is concerned, he's going to do what he's going to do," Singletary said. "We're not blinking, we're not flinching. We're doing what we have to do."

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Deion adds his two cents on Crabtree issue
:|

“Pretty much, the San Francisco 49ers need him desperately,” Sanders said
:|

“You would think Michael Crabtree would need it (the money), but he's not in dire need of money at this time. And I'm saying that honestly.”
Right.............:rolleyes:
But Sanders reported that two teams contacted the 49ers and want to acquire Crabtree in a trade and pay him top dollar.
The 49ers disputed Sanders' version of events, saying no teams contacted the 49ers about the possibility of a trade.
“Those conversations never took place,” a 49ers spokesman said Friday night.
:biglaugh:Great reporting Deion!
Why would you settle for $20 million when you feel like you can get $40 million,” Sanders said. “That's the problem.
“Is he willing to sit out the entire year? I think so. I really think so
.”
GOOD! Let the Greedy kid sit out!

“They (Crabtree and Parker) would really like San Francisco to make up the difference, to meet them half way,” Sanders said.
Uh thats more than meeting him halfway.....thats called caving in Deion.:mulli:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090904/sports/909049886

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sanders also said that two teams contacted the 49ers regarding a trade for Crabtree, that the teams were willing to pay Crabtree, and that Crabtree knows it. Though Sanders didn't say so directly, he implied that the other teams were willing to pay Crabtree a contract worth $40 million. (And if the player became aware of the intended offers via communications with the interested teams, the 49ers should be filing tampering charges.)
I hope this could be true...the 49er could you use another teams 1st round pick.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/04/deion-wades-into-the-crabtree-fiasco/
In this specific case, Sanders was vague regarding the person most responsible for Crabtree's current status. There's speculation in league circles that Parker recruited Crabtree by promising that he'd be a top-five pick, and that Parker's Plan B was to attempt to get him a contract in that ballpark. The other school of thought is that the kid is simply delusional, and that he doesn't realize that he'll be in the same mess next year, unless he gets picked higher than he got picked this year.

He's also fooling himself if he thinks he'll be picked higher, especially since whoever is thinking about drafting Crabtree in 2010 will have no way to avoid the internal "I told you so's" if he gives his next team a hard time at any point during his career in that city.

Last edited:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
3 yards and cloud of dust.:shrug:
Raye wants to run 60 percent of time
After all, teams with the lead are more apt to keep the ball on the ground in an attempt to control the clock.
There were only five teams in the NFL last season that ran the ball more than 50 percent of the time. Not surprisingly, those teams — Baltimore, Atlanta, Carolina, Tennessee and Minnesota — combined for a .713 winning percentage during the regular season.
But even when 49ers running back Frank Gore was rushing for a club-record 1,695 yards in 2006, then-coordinator Norv Turner called run plays 47.8 percent of the time. That is the kind of offense Singletary envisioned when he hired
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090907/sports/909079969

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
Well since this is the smack shack... I wouldn't be surprised if that number is closer to 70. I mean, who does Hill have that he can throw the ball to? An aging Bruce? Morgan who was a rookie last year and hasn't really shown what he can do at this level? Jason Hill, a youngster that did well at times last year, but hasn't shown what he can do a full year? That's a lot of ?'s if you as me. Actually, his favorite target this year may be VD. Wouldn't Crabtree be nice right about now? :p

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
By the book: Singletary has been dealing with long odds since the womb. "When my mother was pregnant with me, her doctors recommended aborting me. She already had given birth nine times and had had several miscarriages. "... I was a regular at the hospital. In fact, I clearly remember the time when I had to sleep in an oxygen tent. The doctors told my mom, 'This kid will not have a normal childhood. He will have a difficult time keeping up with others.'"‰''
Challenge: The 49ers' offense lacks explosiveness.
By the book: Singletary envisioned a conservative offense long before getting the 49ers job. "When I'm head coach, I'm going to run it, run it and run it some more — and toss an occasional deep pass for balance. The question will be, can the other team stop our run? "... I want my quarterback to be a disciplined leader. I don't need him to win the game. We'll have 11 people and together we will win the game. The quarterback has to be the kind of guy who won't hurt us."
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_13288625

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Raye wants to run 60 percent of time
After all, teams with the lead are more apt to keep the ball on the ground in an attempt to control the clock.

Sounds like SF is implementing the Run-Run-Pass-Punt offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05