2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that the situation would be ideal for PHX because it gives them time to find out what they want to do with Gortat or if they want to make room for Noel by dealing a Morris. PHX isn't going to be a playoff team next year so they might as well look to land a Top 3 pick in next years draft. But if Noel isn't there, I feel a big man (either Zeller or Len) should be the guy if Oladipo or Porter is gone.

I'm pretty sure we'd take McLemore if he were still available.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This draft is wild. McLemore is the biggest question mark--going anywhere from 1 to 6 in various mocks. Noel is second going anywhere from 1 to 4. Its now almost a lock that Oladipo will not fall to us. In a draft with big question marks, you know his character, motor, defense, and athleticism. He is about the least likely to bust and that is probably as good as you can get. He could go #1 when its all done.

Shabazz, the preseason 1st overall projection could fall out of the lottery altogether. Amazing. there are problems with him, but its not that bad.

Right now, I would take Oladipo over McLemore.

If Porter, Mac, Dipo and Noel are gone, I think I might take Len. Its going to be a stinky night, I just know it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like you are equating Noel to Zeller. I don't think so although it would not surprise me to see Noel slide as well. Zeller did not help his stock this past season by breaking out. I'll maintain Burke may be the best player in the draft but I don't think any team will draft him #1. IMO, this is a mostly level draft with no clear star which I hope helps the Suns.

The Suns drafted BPA with Nash. They thought he was the safest pick at #15. They were certainly right. The Suns were very high on Kobe and would have liked to draft him remembering the talk at the time.

The Suns were targeting Kobe the whole draft. Nash was a consolation prize. They originally drafted him to be a combo guard to play alongside Kidd/KJ. He was touted as a shooter off the bench in sort of a Steve Kerr role. He never would have developed as a pg if he had not been traded to Dallas. The moral of the story is that if you draft BPA, you better be willing to move that player or someone else for someone you will be able to play. Otherwise its just a waste.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So if you had Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd on your roster, you would not draft Steve Nash?

KJ and Cassell.

The Suns were targeting Kobe the whole draft. Nash was a consolation prize. They originally drafted him to be a combo guard to play alongside Kidd/KJ. He was touted as a shooter off the bench in sort of a Steve Kerr role. He never would have developed as a pg if he had not been traded to Dallas.

That's not how I remember it. Nash was always thought of as a PG and that's how he was used his first 2 years, going to Dallas just gave him more playing time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJ and Cassell.

That's not how I remember it. Nash was always thought of as a PG and that's how he was used his first 2 years, going to Dallas just gave him more playing time.

And that's half right the way I remember it. Nash was a point guard but there was no playing time for at that position and they wanted his shooting on the floor. They used him more at the shooting guard than point and because we had Kidd, we were hoping to continue to use him that way. Nash wanted to play the point so Colangelo granted his wishes and traded him to a team that need a point guard.

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And that's half right the way I remember it. Nash was a point guard but there was no playing time for at that position and they wanted his shooting on the floor. They used him more at the shooting guard than point and because we had Kidd, we were hoping to continue to use him that way. Nash wanted to play the point so Colangelo granted his wishes and traded him to a team that need a point guard.

Steve

Nash had pretty much the same ast% his first 2 years in Phoenix as he did his first 2 seasons in Dallas and his usage rate was about the same as Kidd's and KJ's his first 2 years. He was a young playmaking PG that could shoot, the fact he was often on the court with another PG doesn't make him a combo guard or a shooting guard. The reason he wanted to be traded was so he could have a chance at starting.

Neither Ricky Rubio or Luke Ridnour is a combo guard/shooting guard yet they share the court.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash was drafted in June 1996, 6 months before Kidd was on the team.

So they would still be on the Suns roster at the same time along with Kevin Johnson are am I missing something?... in December 1996. No matter how one puts it, the Suns had three prominent PGs on their roster in 1996.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So they would still be on the Suns roster at the same time along with Kevin Johnson are am I missing something?... in December 1996. No matter how one puts it, the Suns had three prominent PGs on their roster in 1996.

Kidd and cassell were not.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was KJ, Cassell, and Nash and then later KJ, Kidd, and Nash.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are rumors that CLE isn't interested in Noels and that WAS has had talks with MIL about trading #3 for Illyosova and the Bobcats trading #4 for Bosh.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The point I'm making is draft BPA even if there is no apparent need for that position. Cassell was not traded for Kidd until December in 1996. Nash was drafted in 1996.

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-12-27/sports/sp-12905_1_jason-kidd

The point I am making is that unless you are willing to trade that player, or move another player, drafting a player who will be buried on the bench is a waste.

Many draft picks have been wasted because a player could not get off the bench. I just don't see drafting another pg unless you believe that he is better than Goran. Pg's are not that hot a trade commodity around the league because there are so many right now. If you think he is better than Goran, then you have to be willing to trade Dragic.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The point I am making is that unless you are willing to trade that player, or move another player, drafting a player who will be buried on the bench is a waste.

Many draft picks have been wasted because a player could not get off the bench. I just don't see drafting another pg unless you believe that he is better than Goran. Pg's are not that hot a trade commodity around the league because there are so many right now. If you think he is better than Goran, then you have to be willing to trade Dragic.

Unless you believe that the 2 can play extended minutes on the floor together. Otherwise I agree that Dragic would likely have to be the guy traded if they felt like they had to trade a pg.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sam Cassell and Robert Horry. That Barkley to Houston trade was like your girl friend dumping you for your most hated enemy and leaving you with hepatitis B and C.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It takes most rookie PGs in the NBA a year or two to get their feet wet so to say the Suns need to trade Goran (if the new PG is eventually better than Goran) does not fly with me... at least right away. Also there is no guarantee Marshall is going to pan out. There is the possibility a taller PG that can shoot might enable the Suns to play the new PG and Goran together. Goran might also be able to play some SG. I do not want to go away from drafting BPA to drafting a player that may never be good.

I disagree, good PGs always have value.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the Suns see a PG at #5 that they think can be better than Dragic, and they like that player better than the other options, they should take him. If they don't think he can be better than Dragic, he has no business going at #5 anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns see a PG at #5 that they think can be better than Dragic, and they like that player better than the other options, they should take him. If they don't think he can be better than Dragic, he has no business going at #5 anyway.

I don't think Goran should be the measuring stick. Another PG might be able to play beside Goran. I don't remember debating who was the better PG, Joe Dumars or Isiah Thomas with the Detroit Pistons. Draft the BPA even if it is a PG and let it shake out. No one knows in the draft if you will find gold or fools gold. Go for the BPA and hope you get it right.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Goran should be the measuring stick. Another PG might be able to play beside Goran. I don't remember debating who was the better PG, Joe Dumars or Isiah Thomas with the Detroit Pistons. Draft the BPA even if it is a PG and let it shake out. No one knows in the draft if you will find gold or fools gold. Go for the BPA and hope you get it right.

Goran and (Burke or McCollum) cannot play at the same time. All 3 need to have the ball in their hands to be effective because they create their own shots. Goran does not play well off the ball and he came back to PHX because he wanted to be the starting PG, you bring in Burke or McCollum, Goran probably will want to be traded if he has to play SG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read an article by Paul Coro today at azcentral which is well worth the read. In the article Ryan McDonough runs off his analysis of visiting draft prospects. Literally if there is a prospect out there, he is well versed in regard to their talent. For example, his comments concerning Anthony Bennett had me interested. There is so much more on other players. See link below.

On UNLV power forward Anthony Bennett, a consideration at No. 5: “I think he’s primarily a 4 but he’ll be able to step out and play some 3. Anthony is very skilled and very strong. He’s got huge shoulders and long arms. I think he shot 37 percent from 3 in college so he’s versatile. That’s one of the strengths of his game…. He’s a little undersized but I don’t put a lot of stock in measurements to the top of a guy’s head. Bennett is so long. To me, the wingspan and the standing reach are much more important. He’s long and he’s broad and he’s strong.”

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/p...es-on-the-suns-draft-work-and-staffing-moves/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goran and (Burke or McCollum) cannot play at the same time. All 3 need to have the ball in their hands to be effective because they create their own shots. Goran does not play well off the ball and he came back to PHX because he wanted to be the starting PG, you bring in Burke or McCollum, Goran probably will want to be traded if he has to play SG.

Two PG guards can play at the same time. Positions in the NBA are becoming more diversified. Players that can play multiple positions are increasing in value. I guess I don't see things as black and white as you do. Besides the Suns are building long term. Draft the best player regardless of position that will be a huge asset a few years from now. Why limit who you draft by basing it upon who can play with Goran? If you do, this is called drafting based on need.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read an article by Paul Coro today at azcentral which is well worth the read. In the article Ryan McDonough runs off his analysis of visiting draft prospects. Literally if there is a prospect out there, he is well versed in regard to their talent. For example, his comments concerning Anthony Bennett had me interested. There is so much more on other players. See link below.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/p...es-on-the-suns-draft-work-and-staffing-moves/

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the new GM regarding Anthony Bennett. He is 6'7" in shoes. He has a 7'1" wingspan which is great, but as McDonagh pointed out Bennett has broad shoulders. If those two measurements are correct my guess is that his standing reach is in the 8'7"-8'8" range. I'm sorry, but that's just not long enough for a starting four. Well, let me put that differently. He could be a starting four, but there are going to be some major issues there because he's really undersized.

Of course if you are McDonagh the smart thing to do is talk up all of the prospects including the ones you know you aren't going to take.

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the new GM regarding Anthony Bennett. He is 6'7" in shoes. He has a 7'1" wingspan which is great, but as McDonagh pointed out Bennett has broad shoulders. If those two measurements are correct my guess is that his standing reach is in the 8'7"-8'8" range. I'm sorry, but that's just not long enough for a starting four. Well, let me put that differently. He could be a starting four, but there are going to be some major issues there because he's really undersized.

Of course if you are McDonagh the smart thing to do is talk up all of the prospects including the ones you know you aren't going to take.

Joe

This was a thought that passed through my mind as well.

However, I think McDonough may also look at versatility. If Bennett can develop SF skills, this would make for a stronger frontline for the Suns. Although Bennett may lack height as a PF (although not comparing) Boozer and Barkley rumble through my mind or in some respects Faried with more scoring ability. I do think if Bennett develops, he may be a load for opposing teams to handle.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake