2016-17 Around the NBA

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I were the Cavs I'd say screw it and make Irving stay just to get back in the finals again...Unless they think they can make something happen with Bledsoe and Chandler (which is possible). I don't mention Warren because part of me thinks giving up TJ is too much considering Irving is a two year rental. But TJ is expendable... Jackson and Bender could fill that slot.
Actually keeping Irving makes sense because LeBron is most likely leaving CLE after next year any way so Kylie has a chance to be the man again.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Well, if the success of your company depends on your ability to project to an accuracy of 3% two years down the road, you're in trouble. There are way too many variables.

How much is Cleveland going to spend on coaching? Front-office personnel? What will they get from local TV rights, or sponsorships, or concessions sales?

Or, ah, here's a good one: What will they earn from a deep playoff run, and the possible increased value of a championship? Does the right Irving trade make a deep playoff run more likely?

This is an organization that is prepared to spend $70+ million next season on nothing! A difference of $3 million in the cap is trivial.

I haven't done any such thing. I've said that it would depend on whether they believe in his on-court value for this season. I also said -- maybe you missed it -- that I don't know whether they do or not.

Dragic doesn't have 150,000 miles on him. But let's refine your scenario:

My car isn't working. I really want to get across the country and my options are limited. There's an opportunity on the other side of the country that may never be there again, and it's important to me. I can buy a car that I know is overpriced, but I can take a loan with a favorable interest rate, and this is the car that gives me the best chance to get across the country, right now, to pursue this priceless opportunity.

You're damn right I buy that car.
You must be registered for see images

My car is green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FWIW I saw Bledsoe was ranked #4 on this list of the top 5 contracts for each position. He is on a fair deal, that looked like it could be a bad contract when signed but the increase in the salary cap makes it look much better.

Both Morris brothers are listed also, Marcus as #5 on the SF list and Markieff at #4 for PF's. Both those deals were originally penned with the Suns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723921-5-best-nba-contracts-at-every-position

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FWIW I saw Bledsoe was ranked #4 on this list of the top 5 contracts for each position. He is on a fair deal, that looked like it could be a bad contract when signed but the increase in the salary cap makes it look much better.

Both Morris brothers are listed also, Marcus as #5 on the SF list and Markieff at #4 for PF's. Both those deals were originally penned with the Suns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2723921-5-best-nba-contracts-at-every-position

IT's contract is not on that list! That is an absolute oversight. The Suns did that one too.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
IT's contract is not on that list! That is an absolute oversight. The Suns did that one too.

He mentions IT in the beginning as an expiring contract, which he voided from the discussion.

But the point is valid. McD has some really good contracts out there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He mentions IT in the beginning as an expiring contract, which he voided from the discussion.

But the point is valid. McD has some really good contracts out there.

It seems the Bleacher Report makes their own rules regarding these contracts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Goodwin will end up overseas? If he can't latch on with the Nets then he needs to work on his game, a lot, if he hopes to play in the NBA.

https://clutchpoints.com/report-nets-waive-guard-archie-goodwin-gain-cap-space/

I still have hope for Archie Goodwin who played fairly well for the Nets. He definitely needs to improve his game to find a niche in the NBA.

However, he is still only 22 years old. Perhaps playing overseas might give him the opportunity and minutes to take the next step.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@SirStefan32

Give Archie a year or two in Europe and he will not only fit the timeline, he will be a contributor.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@SirStefan32

Give Archie a year or two in Europe and he will not only fit the timeline, he will be a contributor.

I'm not holding my breath. He can't shoot. 4 years in the NBA and his outside shooting is still absolutely awful. Combine that with his inability to pass or defend... and there isn't a lot to work with. But hey, if you need someone to recklessly throw themselves into the lane... he is your guy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath. He can't shoot. 4 years in the NBA and his outside shooting is still absolutely awful. Combine that with his inability to pass or defend... and there isn't a lot to work with. But hey, if you need someone to recklessly throw themselves into the lane... he is your guy.

I understand what you are saying.

My hope is Goodwin can find something to hang his hat on in the next couple of years. Maybe overseas he can figure it out, especially defensively.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Archie was in Phoenix for 3 years, struggled to stay in the league last season, and is now without a team. He'll end up in the D-League or playing overseas. The chances of things clicking for him are slim. He's had plenty of opportunity and at this point if he hopes to make it back to the NBA he needs to show 1 or 2 facets of the game he can do well.

I know people knocked his ability to be taught or questioned if he was coachable and I think his last release shows it wasn't just an issue that fans on message boards had but a legit problem of his.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently Suns management met with Booker to ensure him he's not being traded. I don't think any Suns fan thought Booker would be dealt but it's reassuring to hear that's something management has reached out to him about. I've seen his name mentioned in hypothetical deals with Cleveland for Irving or before the draft with New York for Porzingis. Neither of those players are considerably better than him now or have higher upside but that doesn't stop fans or local sports analysts from using him in trade scenarios.

Small moves like that help build up the teams perception around the league and help keep the relationship between Booker and the Suns good. The last thing we need is for Booker to get upset because his name is getting thrown around in trade rumors. That was one of the things that ended up hurting the Suns with Marion years ago. We do control his future since he won't be a RFA for 2 more years but hopefully they can get him signed to an extension next offseason. If he hits RFA then he'll probably get a max offer that is structured in an odd way that could hurt us. Hopefully we don't even have to deal with that though and get him locked him next offseason.

https://clutchpoints.com/report-suns-spoke-devin-booker-guarantee-non-inclusion-trades/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be a jerk, but this is the ultimate "roll eyes" post.

Archie is GONE. Try to move on.

I've moved on from Archie when he was released by the Suns. However, I see nothing wrong with voicing my opinion about him as a player.

I continue to see what the Suns saw in him when they drafted him. Now it's up to Archie to prove disbelievers wrong by developing an NBA game. Playing overseas may help him. I do not believe it is too late. Sure the odds against him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've moved on from Archie when he was released by the Suns. However, I see nothing wrong with voicing my opinion about him as a player.

I continue to see what the Suns saw in him when they drafted him. Now it's up to Archie to prove disbelievers wrong by developing an NBA game. Playing overseas may help him. I do not believe it is too late. Sure the odds against him.
Your post overtly referenced Archie fitting the "timeline", i.e. returning to the Suns. You have most certainly not moved on.

When Tyler Ennis is still getting a contract while Archie has not, doesn't that tell you something?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Your post overtly referenced Archie fitting the "timeline", i.e. returning to the Suns. You have most certainly not moved on.

When Tyler Ennis is still getting a contract while Archie has not, doesn't that tell you something?

I think he was responding to my joke about the "timeline."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05