2016-17 Around the NBA

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not necessarily. While I can see the upside to that, they're implementing it at a time when the Suns could tank. The NBA won't even let us tank like other teams have.

We tanked pretty fierce last year.

Also, I suspect this is more about good teams resting players against other good teams down the stretch as opposed to crappy teams out sucking each other.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We tanked pretty fierce last year.

Also, I suspect this is more about good teams resting players against other good teams down the stretch as opposed to crappy teams out sucking each other.

We did tank hard last year but we didn't benefit from it because of how the lottery played out. I don't think we should tank this year, at least not from the start, but things will be interesting around the trade deadline. We should be better than last year, how much better is questionable. If we're in the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the league around the All Star break then we should aim to improve our draft position but I think we should also be looking to move players that don't fit longterm like Bledsoe and Chandler rather than benching them.

I know they're looking to put rules in place because of how all of the contenders rested their stars toward the end of the regular season but to get everyone on board for rule chances they need to appeal to the contenders also and deal with the blatant tank jobs that some teams have been pulling. Almost all of the lottery teams last year pulled their veterans for the last 2 weeks of the season. I can't recall ever seeing a season end as poorly as this last one did in terms of all the healthy scratches.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did tank hard last year but we didn't benefit from it because of how the lottery played out. I don't think we should tank this year, at least not from the start, but things will be interesting around the trade deadline. We should be better than last year, how much better is questionable. If we're in the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the league around the All Star break then we should aim to improve our draft position but I think we should also be looking to move players that don't fit longterm like Bledsoe and Chandler rather than benching them.

I know they're looking to put rules in place because of how all of the contenders rested their stars toward the end of the regular season but to get everyone on board for rule chances they need to appeal to the contenders also and deal with the blatant tank jobs that some teams have been pulling. Almost all of the lottery teams last year pulled their veterans for the last 2 weeks of the season. I can't recall ever seeing a season end as poorly as this last one did in terms of all the healthy scratches.

I especially agree with the first paragraph. The Suns should not consider tanking unless they are among the worst teams in the NBA at the All-Star Break. If this happens, as you note, then some of the older players should be traded to fit the Suns timeline for winning.

However, if the Suns are playing well, not necessarily a winning at the All-Star break, I would be happier if they could add a key player via trade so they hit next season running. I liked Portland trading for
Nurkic in February. If not for injury, he made the Trail Blazers a much stronger team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Knicks and Rockets have re-engaged in trade talks involving Carmelo Anthony. It would be nice if the Suns could get an asset by being a third team in the trade.

The New York Knicks and Houston Rockets have re-engaged on trade talks involving 10-time All-Star Carmelo Anthony, with the Rockets again canvassing third-team trade partners to construct a deal, league sources told ESPN.

Anthony remains steadfast that he only plans to waive his no-trade clause for the Rockets and refuses to expand his list to include more possible destinations, league sources said.

The Knicks paused trade talks involving Anthony shortly after the hiring of Perry in mid-July, but they were unable to convince Anthony to reconsider his desire to be traded away -- or add more teams to his wish list, league sources said.

By Adrian Wojnarowski ESPN

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20306075/knicks-rockets-re-engage-carmelo-anthony-trade-talks

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Melo hasn't helped himself if he really wants to go to the Rockets. Turning down the chance to go to Cleveland or Portland puts the Knicks in a bad place if they hope to get any return for him. The Rockets being the only team he wants to go to also are in a good position to negotiate. If the Knicks didn't get rid of Phil Jackson I think a trade would have been done by now but they would have only gotten about 10 cents on the dollar for him. They don't stand to get much more than that now but at least they can keep him around without as much trouble.

I don't think getting involved in a 3 team trade with Houston and New York would benefit us either, neither team has many assets that would fit well here that are likely to be moved. If Knight wasn't injured I would have liked to have seen the Suns try to squeeze him into a deal there, that would depend on how Hornacek views him though. He did coach him for about a full season between the season we received Knight and before he was let go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think either team has any pieces we would want as a facilitator.

I'm not sure if the Knicks or Rockets have anything to offer either but it should be explored. Before Knight's injury I had hoped he might be included in a trade package. I wouldn't be opposed to a first round pick coming the Suns way in the right deal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Bradley trade was over a month ago, any reason for posting about it now?

Wish the Suns could have gotten Bradley. He's a legit combo guard who can play both guard spots, plays good defense, and is still young. It's a shame that we gave up Marcus in a salary dump and the Pistons used him to get someone like Bradley.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05