2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have decided that I would be happy if we drafted any of these players:
Ayton, Bamba, Young. As far as Young and Bamba go, I have no doubt that if we want these players, we can draft them. They will both be available at #4.

I would be cautiously happy with:
Bagley, JJJr. If we are drafting one of these two, its likely that we are doing it with the #2 or #3 pick, which makes me a bit nervous given their weaknesses. If they are both available at #4, I still might go with Bamba or Young.

I would be very nervous but hopeful with:
Doncic, Porter. If we draft Doncic, it will be with the #1 or #2 pick. Yikes. With Porter, it will be all about the back and the fact that no one really saw him compete against college competition.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that he is hyper competitive. But Shane Battier was hyper competitive too, and basketball smart. There is a limit to how far that can take you. Guys. If we draft Doncic I will be a huge fan, but right now he scares me. The hype seems way out of proportion.

This.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have decided that I would be happy if we drafted any of these players:
Ayton, Bamba, Young.

I would be cautiously happy with:
Bagley, JJJr.

I would be very nervous but hopeful with:
Doncic, Porter.

This, but I’d put Bagley in that top tier and slide Bamba down to middle.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. You can be determined as all hell. You can even manage to make an amazing play. We see it from bench players in the NBA all the time. It doesn't make you athletic. Give me a break.

Having said that I think he is average. I kind of thought that was what everyone was getting at by not over hyping a single play.

Pokerface made it sounds like people were saying he was Joe Kline. I didn't read that at all.

I think the guy has a high basketball IQ but what makes me hesitant is his speed compared to what he will face in the NBA.

This just isn’t true. He is much more athletic than Joe Klein!!!

(An example of twisting/projecting stupid arguments where they don’t exist).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This just isn’t true. He is much more athletic than Joe Klein!!!

(An example of twisting/projecting stupid arguments where they don’t exist).
This is not true. Joe Klein was not athletic at all, he was just tall.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get that he is hyper competitive. But Shane Battier was hyper competitive too, and basketball smart. There is a limit to how far that can take you. Guys. If we draft Doncic I will be a huge fan, but right now he scares me. The hype seems way out of proportion.

Well I know you are high on Young but I don't see him dunking the ball ever. I don't see him being a defensive stopper either. But his strengths are so great that it shouldnt dissuade us at all from drafting him.

Doncic has an overall impressive game. He does most things on a very good level. I want guys that know how to play the game and show a strong desire to win. I think our young team could really use a player like him...as an a example and as a way to make the suns play more as a team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I know you are high on Young but I don't see him dunking the ball ever. I don't see him being a defensive stopper either. But his strengths are so great that it shouldnt dissuade us at all from drafting him.

Doncic has an overall impressive game. He does most things on a very good level. I want guys that know how to play the game and show a strong desire to win. I think our young team could really use a player like him...as an a example and as a way to make the suns play more as a team.

Did you really just bring up a 6’1 PG not dunking into this?

My lord... I can’t even begin to imagine how your mind works or thinks that’s in any way germane to the conversation.

I’d get it if you said he doesn’t have superior ball skills or speed, but jeebus louisebus!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My lord... I can’t even begin to imagine how your mind works or thinks that’s in any way germane to the conversation.

I’d get it if you said he doesn’t have superior ball skills or speed, but jeebus louisebus!

I think Pokerface was talking about athleticism.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I don't know where fans priorities are sometimes. My point was I don't care if Young dunks or not because he excels in other areas.

BTW I was relieved that Doncic took it to the hole and dunked because he's been painted as unathletic. How many times has Chriss or Len botched an easy dunk??

Some of you better warm up to Doncic because there is a 75% chance we don't get Ayton . Then it's going to come down to do we take BPA or fill a need.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you better warm up to Doncic because there is a 75% chance we don't get Ayton . Then it's going to come down to do we take BPA or fill a need.

Or, we could just do both and draft Trae Young.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Or, we could just do both and draft Trae Young.

A case could be made for that. Young could be BPA and fill a need. I think Doncic has the better overall game. Plus Luka's size could help if he were plugged in at pg...at least defensively. Young is a full five inches shorter and has very short arms. I've read some question if he's even 6'2".

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah right. Being athletic is important but it's only one component . I think Doncic is athletic enough ...more or less.

And I’m leery that Athletic “enough” won’t be when going up against fellow swingmen which by and large are the MOST athletic players in the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A case could be made for that. Young could be BPA and fill a need. I think Doncic has the better overall game. Plus Luka's size could help if he were plugged in at pg...at least defensively. Young is a full five inches shorter and has very short arms. I've read some question if he's even 6'2".

Wait... you think Donicic will be helpful in D if he’s the 1? Defense and foot speed are supposed to be his biggest concerns. Long arms don’t matter when Smaller quicker guards blow past him.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And I’m leery that Athletic “enough” won’t be when going up against fellow swingmen which by and large are the MOST athletic players in the league.

But here again I go back to Nash. He was NEVER described as athletic. Plus he had a bad back. He overcame because he played smart and was skilled. I know he wasn't a swing man but Doncic won't have to play any position full time.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wait... you think Donicic will be helpful in D if he’s the 1? Defense and foot speed are supposed to be his biggest concerns. Long arms don’t matter when Smaller quicker guards blow past him.

Maybe so. But size can help here and there. Especially if he really is 6'8 as some are reporting. Hey Doncic is a mixed bag...maybe even a tweener. But I think he'll be able to hold his own and avoid that tag.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe so. But size can help here and there. Especially if he really is 6'8 as some are reporting. Hey Doncic is a mixed bag...maybe even a tweener. But I think he'll be able to hold his own and avoid that tag.

That’s my biggest fear.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what? Your PG doesn’t need to be able to dunk or finish right at the rim so it’s a moot point to bring it up in the discussion.

The conversation had strayed into Shane Battier and Joe Klein territory.

Some scouting services have Doncic rated as high as #1. Almost all have him going in the top 5 picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doncic' defense will likely be much better than Trae young.

The problem with drafting Doncic in particular for the Suns, he likely projects as a SG/SF.

Given equal talent, the Suns have greater needs at center, point guard and power forward. I don't think it is an issue of talent.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Doncic' defense will likely be much better than Trae young.

The problem with drafting Doncic in particular for the Suns, he likely projects as a SG/SF.

Given equal talent, the Suns have greater needs at center, point guard and power forward. I don't think it is an issue of talent.

I'm not going to deny Young is the better fit and I would be VERY excited to have a Young/Booker backcourt. I think Doncic is the better player though and fits with today's NBA being multipositional.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser