2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to deny Young is the better fit and I would be VERY excited to have a Young/Booker backcourt. I think Doncic is the better player though and fits with today's NBA being multipositional.

Most of the scouting services agree with you. :wink2:

It's so easy to find warts on a player before the draft.

Doncic should be a fine player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to deny Young is the better fit and I would be VERY excited to have a Young/Booker backcourt. I think Doncic is the better player though and fits with today's NBA being multipositional.

prisoner of the moment. What's today's trend won't be tomorrow's. The "multi positional" thing is great if you have a 6'10 Beast in Simmons... or a 6'11 Freak like KD. But even TODAY'S teams that are great ALL have SIZE. The Warriors are actually huge with 6'11 KD and McGee down low. If Leonard was healthy, they too would have stereotypical size at every position. But we're not even competing with those teams and won't be by the time we're ready to rock.

Tomorrow's teams are New Orleans, Utah and Minnesota in the West with the Philly, Celtics and Toronto in the East.

And ALL of them have practically standard size, players at their given positions.

Building your team in today's model of the NBA will leave us in the past.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'll talk to you because cheese seems like he's out of his meds....again.

I thought the play was impressive 'enough' to get a little hype. He drove by a slew of defenders and dunked without too much difficulty.
A “slew?” Cmon man, I’m optimistic about doncic but you’re really laying the hyperbole on thick for a play that’s just not that impressive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah but he's supposed to be unathletic so I think maybe some people got jazzed up seeing his capabilities. If he has some athletism then that will go far with his court vision and Bball IQ.
Even most people denigrating his athleticism don’t think he’s Kendall Marshall unathletic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll talk to you because cheese seems like he's out of his meds....again.

I thought the play was impressive 'enough' to get a little hype. He drove by a slew of defenders and dunked without too much difficulty.

So... after you completely lie about what I said, twisting my words to fit your argument... and then not one but TWO posters point out that’s exactly what you did, you throw out a “Cheese is off his mess again” insult.

Good form as usual.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A “slew?” Cmon man, I’m optimistic about doncic but you’re really laying the hyperbole on thick for a play that’s just not that impressive.

Well what happened then? He started his drive outside the three point line and took it all the way to the rim. There were players there along the way. It wasn't like he was passed the ball under the rim. He was aggressive and finished the play with some contact.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost all the scouting reports I have read say foot speed will be a problem at this level. Why would anybody assume he could be a good defender in the NBA which is more about speed than ever!?!??

I don’t really care if he plays below the rim if he can pass the way they project he can.

My guess? He will be good passer, terrible defender who occasionally gets hot at the next level.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So... after you completely lie about what I said, twisting my words to fit your argument... and then not one but TWO posters point out that’s exactly what you did, you throw out a “Cheese is off his mess again” insult.

Good form as usual.

Good form as usual? Every other word out of your mouth is "stupid" talk..a BUNCH OF CAPS and BOLD TEXTS ...now I'm a "liar" too. Who is talking to you like that?? Why not just pull a slinslin and call me insane too. Go for it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost all the scouting reports I have read say foot speed will be a problem at this level. Why would anybody assume he could be a good defender in the NBA which is more about speed than ever!?!??

I don’t really care if he plays below the rim if he can pass the way they project he can.

My guess? He will be good passer, terrible defender who occasionally gets hot at the next level.

I think he'll be quite a bit better than this implies. His foot speed is usually questioned when projecting him as a point guard in the NBA. But I think he'll end up at the 2 or 3 where his quickness will likely be less of a concern. Regardless, I'd much rather have Ayton or Young.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bagleys defense has been called into question. Even Aytons. So I don't know...it's about the plusses I guess.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he'll be quite a bit better than this implies. His foot speed is usually questioned when projecting him as a point guard in the NBA. But I think he'll end up at the 2 or 3 where his quickness will likely be less of a concern. Regardless, I'd much rather have Ayton or Young.

I don’t think he can match the foot speed of NBA players at the 1 or 2. Maybe the 3. If he plays the 3 on this team he won’t handle the ball so that doesn’t make sense.

By the way to be clear I am not saying he is a bad player. I think he will be an impact player. I am just questioning the fit on this team.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t think he can match the foot speed of NBA players at the 1 or 2. Maybe the 3. If he plays the 3 on this team he won’t handle the ball so that doesn’t make sense.

By the way to be clear I am not saying he is a bad player. I think he will be an impact player. I am just questioning the fit on this team.

Exactly this team needs a C PF and Pg, Doncic isnt either one. Ayton, Bagley and Young are, i would much rather see one of those guys than Doncic on fit alone. JACKSON, Booker, Warren are all wings so is Doncic and he isnt running PG so he's not a fit and he get over valued being the great white hype

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cracks me up is that people are complaining about Luka's defense and athleticism, but are perfectly fine with Young who is far worse in both areas. I will be fine with either, but the blind hatred for Doncic is just so bizarre!

Criticism isn’t blind hatred. Can you point it out to those of us in this recent discussion putting out blind hatred?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cracks me up is that people are complaining about Luka's defense and athleticism, but are perfectly fine with Young who is far worse in both areas. I will be fine with either, but the blind hatred for Doncic is just so bizarre!

you know what's bizarre to me... someone taking their fandom of Doncic SO PERSONALLY that they can't talk about this subject without resorting to extremes (DONCIC HATRED, OH NOES!!!) or flat out making up other people's positions (everyone who likes Young has acknowledged there are big concerns as you elucidated above).

What's even MORE bizarre though is the contortions people go through to defend things that are legit questions about the guy: You raise a question about Doncic's D and someone says his DEFENSE will be a plus on PGs! I mean... REALLY?

Or someone brings up that he's not a good shooter and someone else answers that 3 point shooting % is only low because he takes so many shots at the end of quarters!

Or that he's totally going to play PG... even though he's literally never been his team's primary PG.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Criticism isn’t blind hatred. Can you point it out to those of us in this recent discussion putting out blind hatred?

I think Stefan's point is Doncic is being held to a standard or being called out while others may be getting a pass for the same thing. Call it blind hatred or tunnel vision but standards aren't held in a uniform fashion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Stefan's point is Doncic is being held to a standard or being called out while others may be getting a pass for the same thing. Call it blind hatred or tunnel vision but standards aren't uniform.

Are they ever? One person here has been very negative about Doncic but most of the "haters" are really just "doubters". Put me there too. I don't believe he'll bust but I would hate to see us invest a top pick in a player that we'd have to find a position for.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are they ever? One person here has been very negative about Doncic but most of the "haters" are really just "doubters". Put me there too. I don't believe he'll bust but I would hate to see us invest a top pick in a player that we'd have to find a position for.

That's a valid point and probably the biggest knock. Like he's a "Jack of all trades but a master of none". But I think he's a winner and will find a way to overcome.

My problem with Young is he's a shooter like Booker and maybe I think Doncic would compliment Booker's game more instead of competing with it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blind hatred? We’ve experessed our doubts and why. That’s hardly blind hatred.

And regarding Young and Doncic, I look at them very similarly. I am not considering Young for a top 2 pick and Doncic should not be chosen there worthier. Young is faster, a better shooter, and most likely a better passer. He also has a clear position. Luka is much bigger of course. Luka is a 2 IMO which makes him an odd fit with the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Stefan's point is Doncic is being held to a standard or being called out while others may be getting a pass for the same thing. Call it blind hatred or tunnel vision but standards aren't held in a uniform fashion.
Doncic is being touted as a top 2 pick, I don’t know think anyone here is suggesting that for Young (maybe someone, not sure). That’s the main difference.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doncic is being touted as a top 2 pick, I don’t know think anyone here is suggesting that for Young (maybe someone, not sure). That’s the main difference.

Maybe me. I'd take him second without hesitation unless red flags show up medically or in the background and interview process.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I call b.s. Every draft prospect discussed had had doubters or people with critiques of some sort. It’s the exact same standard.

It’s none of those things. Sounds more like people are overly sensitive about the guy they want drafted if anybody points out any criticism.

Is there a prospect in this thread that has had zero critiques? Which one?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I call b.s. Every draft prospect discussed had had doubters or people with critiques of some sort. It’s the exact same standard.

It’s none of those things. Sounds more like people are overly sensitive about the guy they want drafted if anybody points out any criticism.

Is there a prospect in this thread that has had zero critiques? Which one?

Well Ayton is being called generational already. Fans want Bagley because he's a 20/10 guy... but lacks defense. I just hope we don't have tunnel vision . Maybe workouts will tell us more...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Ayton is being called generational already. Fans want Bagley because he's a 20/10 guy... but lacks defense. I just hope we don't have tunnel vision . Maybe workouts will tell us more...

I am just saying that none of these guys...not one of them is beyond reproach. They all have flaws. They are rookie prospects. My guess is one of these guys in the top 3 picks isn't going to live up to the hype.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser