2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just saying that none of these guys...not one of them is beyond reproach. They all have flaws. They are rookie prospects. My guess is one of these guys in the top 3 picks isn't going to live up to the hype.

I think you can say that about every single draft class and be right more often than not. But I feel better about this class than I do about most of them although I'm not sure any of them will become true "generational" players. I give Young and Ayton the best odds but Porter if he gets/stays healthy is probably the most talented of the bunch. Not that I would touch him with our first pick for any reason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way... the usual suspects strike again.

No ones called Ayton a generational player. They’ve called him a generational TALENT. There IS actually a difference but I don’t expect those who want to make arguments black and white to see it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can say that about every single draft class and be right more often than not. But I feel better about this class than I do about most of them although I'm not sure any of them will become true "generational" players. I give Young and Ayton the best odds but Porter if he gets/stays healthy is probably the most talented of the bunch. Not that I would touch him with our first pick for any reason.

Which is why I made the comment. Even in deep draft classes what ends up happening is a guy that is drafted lower ends up being a higher impact player than then one or more of the first 3 picks. It's a given even in deep drafts.

The Suns have made a living in the past at getting higher impact players later in the draft.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll talk to you because cheese seems like he's out of his meds....again.

I thought the play was impressive 'enough' to get a little hype. He drove by a slew of defenders and dunked without too much difficulty.

This is a 2 day break

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year we debated Jackson over Tatum. Both players look like keepers this year. Now you guys are debating Young and Doncic. Pretty sure both will do well at the next level. Suns might be able to move down if they get the 2 pick and draft Young.
Just wondering would you take Jackson or Tatum right now if you had a choice?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Good question. I'd still probably lean Tatum because he has shown he can be a solid contributor on a good team, whereas Jackson has had his surge during what was basically two straight months of garbage time. But I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've seen from Jackson so far, and if he can clean up his shooting mechanics, he's probably the better long-term prospect.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year we debated Jackson over Tatum. Both players look like keepers this year. Now you guys are debating Young and Doncic. Pretty sure both will do well at the next level. Suns might be able to move down if they get the 2 pick and draft Young.

At the time of the draft, I preferred Tatum (reluctantly, as he's a Dukie) and he's certainly been the better player to date. But I love JJ's potential so I wouldn't make a Tatum swap today.

For me, it's not a question of Young versus Doncic. I simply don't want Luka unless he blows us away in a private workout. And even then, I don't see a fit for him in Phoenix with the roster we have.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was always on the Jackson side because of D and elite athleticism.

If it’s Young v. Doncic, Id lean Young but it’s a debatable coin flip type situation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time of the draft, I preferred Tatum (reluctantly, as he's a Dukie) and he's certainly been the better player to date. But I love JJ's potential so I wouldn't make a Tatum swap today.

For me, it's not a question of Young versus Doncic. I simply don't want Luka unless he blows us away in a private workout. And even then, I don't see a fit for him in Phoenix with the roster we have.

Totally agree on the second part.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still take Tatum over Jackson but JJ significantly decreased the gap after the All-Star break.

Tatum is a much better shooter and a more polished offensive player, while Jackson is more explosive.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The question is what is their ceiling? Tatum is a good player, but how much better is he going to get?

I think sky's the limit for Jackson at this point.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The question is what is their ceiling? Tatum is a good player, but how much better is he going to get?

I think sky's the limit for Jackson at this point.

Tatum is a full year younger and a much better shooter. I’d say Tatum’s ceiling is higher.

Tatum = Pierce
Jackson = Iguodala

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Totally disagree on the second part.

There is nothing that Young offers over Doncic.

Shooting. Young, right now, is alreadya good shooter, and has a legitimate NBA range.
For the record, I like both of them, and will be just fine with either one of them on the roster. Both of them are great playmakers, both of them lack elite athleticism, and neither of them can defend much. Young has the shooting on his side, while Doncic has versatility and size.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tatum is a full year younger and a much better shooter. I’d say Tatum’s ceiling is higher.

Tatum = Pierce
Jackson = Iguodala
way too much emphasis on youth. Jackson's athleticism and defense are much better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shooting. Young, right now, is alreadya good shooter, and has a legitimate NBA range.
For the record, I like both of them, and will be just fine with either one of them on the roster. Both of them are great playmakers, both of them lack elite athleticism, and neither of them can defend much. Young has the shooting on his side, while Doncic has versatility and size.
yes. I lean Young over Doncic because of shooting. Young basically put up 30 and 10 for most of the year. Those are historic numbers. Doncic is good playmaker but Young got near 10 assists a game with that team. Young also has speed over Doncic. There is something very slippery about how Young plays. But I still have them close. Doncic is still more of a2-3 IMO.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes, on paper Young seems a (much) better shooter, he shot twice more 3P-s with better percentage but he did it against far less competition, so I would reluctantly take that as a clear proof.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Preferred Jackson then, still do as a high ceiling two way player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, on paper Young seems a (much) better shooter, he shot twice more 3P-s with better percentage but he did it against far less competition, so I would reluctantly take that as a clear proof.

Is it really far less competition? Maybe at one time. Young played in a tough conference and with so many Euro players in the NBA already, hasn't that reduced the quality overseas somewhat? I think the big difference is that Doncic played against adults for the most part but I doubt the quality was all that much better than what Young faced in the Big 12.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it really far less competition? Maybe at one time. Young played in a tough conference and with so many Euro players in the NBA already, hasn't that reduced the quality overseas somewhat? I think the big difference is that Doncic played against adults for the most part but I doubt the quality was all that much better than what Young faced in the Big 12.

been wanting to bring that point up for a while, but kept forgetting to do so.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd disagree with that. There are certainly players that Young saw that were better than the guys in Europe, but the roster depth on those European squads is waaaaaaaay better than what NCAA teams have.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He did it being double and triple teamed all year. Doncic has full grown teammates to take the heat off.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd disagree with that. There are certainly players that Young saw that were better than the guys in Europe, but the roster depth on those European squads is waaaaaaaay better than what NCAA teams have.

I was disagreeing with the statement that Young shot his 3's against "far less competition", is that your position too? I might give the overall edge to what Doncic faced but I doubt it's as extreme as was suggested. And I've read many times, almost always from Euro fans, about the decline in the quality of basketball talent because so many of the top players are in the NBA now instead of staying in Europe.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Take Jackson, every time. Tatum has been better than I thought he'd be this year but he's in a great system in Boston.

I know some people wanted the Suns to trade up to get Ball, or even select Fox with their pick. Does anyone wish we would have gone in either direction there? Really glad we didn't pass on Jackson for Fox. I think most people who wanted that thought Jackson would go at #3 so we'd be picking between Tatum and Fox. I'm stoked we didn't trade up for Ball. I wouldn't trade Jackson for Lonzo today and that would have cost us the Suns something else, probably one of the Heat picks and maybe a player on a rookie deal like Chriss or Bender. While they didn't play great, I'd rather give them more time with Jackson on the team than have Lonzo and the Lavar show happening in Phoenix. Lavar hasn't shut up like some thought he might once Lonzo was actually in the NBA, he's probably gotten louder and more annoying. Lonzo looked ok but he has a lot more issues to fix with his shot than Jackson. I'd be surprised if Lonzo ever shoots better than 45% as a pro. He's not really a threat to score right now, shooting just 36% from the field. He's a 45% FT shooter, which points towards more problems with his shot than just getting bad looks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser