2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some people wanted the Suns to trade up to get Ball

They did? I know there were a few Ball fans here, I didn't realize anyone was pushing for a trade up. When you have a player that ONLY wants to play in one city, I can't imagine anything more risky than paying a premium to get that guy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did? I know there were a few Ball fans here, I didn't realize anyone was pushing for a trade up. When you have a player that ONLY wants to play in one city, I can't imagine anything more risky than paying a premium to get that guy.

The reason you didn’t realize that happened is because... it didn’t. It’s just another false narrative projected on to a group of fans, which are becoming more and more rampant with each passing day.

I know I and others wanted Ball before the lotto but I don’t remember much of anyone, IF anyone, calling to trade up, and there was almost universal glee that Jackson fell to us.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Last year I didn't want to pick 1 or 2 because I was afraid McD would pick Ball or Fultz - go with popular vote so to speak. He might have stuck with Jackson, but why let him have a chance to go awry.

This year it's not so clear cut, except #1 is ideal as I'd expect McD to pick Ayton. I think #2 is safe because Bagley fills a bigger need than Doncic does and they're about equally rated so I'd guess he'll go big. If we get #3, I'm afraid it'll be Doncic though it's probably 50-50 that he'll go second. At #4, I expect Ayton, Bagley and Doncic to be gone and I have no idea who he'd take - Young I want to avoid, I'd rather have Sexton if we choose a PG. Porter is okay if he's not red flagged by our trainers, and, of course, he could be great. Bamba would be my choice and there's some chance McD would take him, if Porter is red flagged.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the Suns crap out in the lottery and wind up at #4, could an argument be made for trading down?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It wasn't as common as people wanting the Suns to do anything to get Ayton but when the Suns got screwed there was talk of trading up for Ball because if you're going to spend assets might as well get as high as possible rather than just inch forward a little bit. I can see the logic there but Ball always had too much baggage with his dad. If a team kept him from going to LA it could be have been a disaster also.

Contrary to what some people think, there are fans everywhere and there Suns fans that exist all over the place. I know they're not popular now but they have more fans than what are on this board. It's funny how someone who doesn't even live in Phoenix or attends games speaks like they're the ultimate authority on what Suns fans discuss.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns crap out in the lottery and wind up at #4, could an argument be made for trading down?
If I thought we could trade down and still get Young somewhere between 6-10 I'd be all about it... but any outcome where we didn't get Ayton, Doncic or Young would be disappointing to me.

I think their ceilings exceed everyone else by a wide margin.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I thought we could trade down and still get Young somewhere between 6-10 I'd be all about it... but any outcome where we didn't get Ayton, Doncic or Young would be disappointing to me.

I think their ceilings exceed everyone else by a wide margin.
I’d take no chances if you want Young you take him at #4. The Curry hype is going to get stronger by the day and teams may end up trying to trade up and get him. My concern is he goes #3 and we take Doncic. Would much rather have Young to team with Booker & Jackson.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d take no chances if you want Young you take him at #4. The Curry hype is going to get stronger by the day and teams may end up trying to trade up and get him. My concern is he goes #3 and we take Doncic. Would much rather have Young to team with Booker & Jackson.
I do not think teams are going to try to trade up to get Young unless it is a team from the middle or late part of the draft trading up to 7 through 9 or so. He has great potential, but his size, potential durability, and defensive issues are enough to create some doubt. I put Young right there with Doncic, but Doncic is valued too highly by most IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think trade down options begin even if the Suns draft #2.

I like Ayton at #1, Bagley at #2 and Doncic at #3.

However, Bagley may not be a lock at #2 and do the Suns need a SG/SF at #3?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think trade down options begin even if the Suns draft #2.

I like Ayton at #1, Bagley at #2 and Doncic at #3.

However, Bagley may not be a lock at #2 and do the Suns need a SG/SF at #3?
That's my top 3, although I would say Young at #4 and could switch with Doncic depending on the day and my mood.

1) Ayton
2) Bagley
3) Doncic/Young
4) Doncic/Young

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my top 3, although I would say Young at #4 and could switch with Doncic depending on the day and my mood.

1) Ayton
2) Bagley
3) Doncic/Young
4) Doncic/Young

I think is very close to accurate. I'm not sure how the Suns view some of the other big men in the draft though.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like Luka will be having more chances to show his stuff in the Euroleague playoffs. After getting blown out in Game 1, Real Madrid is a half away from taking the series in 4 games. They are up by 19 at the half and Doncic has 8 points.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. The Cardinals get the QBOTF in Josh Rosen. They haven't drafted a quality QB since Jake Plummer. So now, do the Suns get the premiere, most difficult position filled in this draft?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. The Cardinals get the QBOTF in Josh Rosen. They haven't drafted a quality QB since Jake Plummer. So now, do the Suns get the premiere, most difficult position filled in this draft?

it's going to happen and both teams will have unprecedented 10 year runs with at least one title each in that span.

so it has been written, so it shall be done!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
it's going to happen and both teams will have unprecedented 10 year runs with at least one title each in that span.

Cheese, you should know that somebody has obviously got ahold of your username and password for this site...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese, you should know that somebody has obviously got ahold of your username and password for this site...

Nope. It’s happening! And I will delude myself into believe the impossible until it’s proven to be completely and irrevocably impossible when we lose the lotto and get the fourth pick! Until, I am going to ride the Cards QBOTF wave right into the Suns offseason until that sucker crashes!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The reason you didn’t realize that happened is because... it didn’t. It’s just another false narrative projected on to a group of fans, which are becoming more and more rampant with each passing day.

I know I and others wanted Ball before the lotto but I don’t remember much of anyone, IF anyone, calling to trade up, and there was almost universal glee that Jackson fell to us.
This

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Was that Moses? Or maybe Mel Brooks. "I bring you these 15, oops, I bring you these 10 Commandments." :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nope. It’s happening! And I will delude myself into believe the impossible until it’s proven to be completely and irrevocably impossible when we lose the lotto and get the fourth pick! Until, I am going to ride the Cards QBOTF wave right into the Suns offseason until that sucker crashes!
At the risk of ruining everything, McD is still the GM, Sarver is still the owner, and Triano may yet end up being our coach.

SWEET DREAMS!