2021 Training Camp Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't really think it is. We had very little to go off about Boldin as well. Time will tell.
So you're calling your shot that Moore is Boldin 2.0? That limb you're out on already sounds like it's cracking. Even if some of the hype turns true and he's pretty good, he'll have to be a world beater to reach that level for us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think hype in general is fine. You just have to remember that's all it is, hype. It has no substance. It's not real.

It's ok to bath in it now and again as long as you keep it in perspective.

Enjoy the "Moore looks great" and "He's playing really well in camp" stories and ignore the "Moore is the next Boldin" nonsense.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think hype in general is fine. You just have to remember that's all it is, hype. It has no substance. It's not real.

It's ok to bath in it now and again as long as you keep it in perspective.

Enjoy the "Moore looks great" and "He's playing really well in camp" stories and ignore the "Moore is the next Boldin"
Right, but this franchise desperately need a second rounder that can excell at the next level, especially at wr
In 17 years we just got something significant from Floyd Breaston and john brown but for a short stint
Too little

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
GLENDALE, Ariz. – At the outset of a new season, Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray isn’t interested in yet again recounting the signature play of his career – one of the most spectacular game winners in NFL history.

“It was a great play,” Murray said. “But I don’t want to be known just for that.”

Of course, there’s no chance of that happening. As Murray, only the fifth Black quarterback selected No. 1 overall in NFL history, begins his third season, he’s anything but a one-hit wonder.

Already, Murray has been selected both as Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowler. He has produced consecutive strong seasons statistically while emerging as one of the game’s most effective dual-threat signal-callers. Although Murray enjoys individual accolades as much as the next star passer, team success is what drives him, and he measures up well there, too: Arizona had three more victories last season than in Murray’s first. Now, Murray and the Cardinals want more.

After a second-half collapse extended the club’s playoff drought to five seasons, the Cardinals expect to make a major move in the NFC West standings behind Murray, who’s thrilled that management added perennial Pro Bowler A.J. Green and promising rookie Rondale Moore to a receiving corps led by All-Pro DeAndre Hopkins. Steadily, the Cardinals have been building toward accomplishing something significant, Murray said, and it’s time for them to complete a big phase of the project.

“For me, going into every year, I ask myself, ‘How can I be the best me? What can I do to get better?’ ” Murray said after practice last week at State Farm Stadium. “And as far as the team goes … we took a step last year. But we felt disappointment not making the playoffs. With the fast start that we had, we felt like we should’ve been in the playoffs. Going into Year 3, a lot of these young guys have played.

“Now, they know what to expect, especially late in the season when you’re trying to [earn a playoff berth]. No more butterflies. None of that. It’s full go now. We’ve also added a lot of veterans who have played at a high level, who bring a lot of leadership, and that will be good for our team. As a team, we’re at that point where it’s time to put up or shut up. It’s time to take the best of what we did last year and really build on that.”

Murray’s iconic touchdown pass to Hopkins marked the high point of the Cardinals’ 2020 season. For that reason, regardless of Murray’s level of engagement in discussing the matter, the play bears revisiting.

Playing host to the Buffalo Bills in Week 10, the Cardinals trailed 30-26 with only 11 seconds remaining on the game clock. On first-and-10 at the Bills’ 43-yard line, Murray, in the shotgun formation, received the snap, looked right and, remaining behind the line of scrimmage, sprinted left to evade pressure. At the Cardinals’ 47, Murray made a nifty stutter-step move to elude a would-be tackler. Then with another Bills player closing on him near the sideline at Buffalo’s 49, Murray quickly set his feet and launched a desperation pass.

Hopkins did the rest.

After lining up alone wide left in Arizona’s four-receiver formation, Hopkins ran a straight-line route, stopping about 3 yards into the end zone. The Bills weren’t caught by surprise: Three defensive backs bracketed Hopkins. And it didn’t matter. Hopkins, who has huge hands and whose vertical leap has been measured at 36 inches, outjumped the competition and came down with the ball.

Final score: Arizona 32, Buffalo 30.

Instantly on social media, the play was dubbed “The Hail Murray.” Hopkins’ ridiculously difficult catch was one for the ages, earning him well-deserved praise. But Murray’s incredible athleticism and arm strength were sights to behold, too. The list of other quarterbacks capable of eluding such a formidable pass rush and making a pinpoint throw in that situation is as short as it is distinguished.

The Cardinals improved to 6-3 and moved into a three-way tie atop the NFC West. Not surprisingly, Murray emerged as one of the league’s top MVP candidates. The Cardinals, however, couldn’t hold it together. They lost three consecutive games and finished 2-5 to miss the playoffs. Still, Cardinals officials could point to many areas in which the team improved. And Murray’s production across the board was better than his first season.

As a rookie, Murray completed 64.4% of his passes. He had 3,722 yards with 20 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. Murray also rushed for 544 yards (with a 5.8-yard average) and four touchdowns. The Cardinals, who went 3-13 the season before Murray arrived, improved to 5-10-1. Granted, some would argue that the Cardinals made only moderate progress. But it was progress nonetheless.

Last season, Murray and the Cardinals continued to trend in the right direction. His completion percentage increased to 67.2. Murray also had 3,971 yards passing, 26 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. As a runner, Murray finished with 819 yards (with a 6.2-yard average) and 11 touchdowns. For only the second time in the past five seasons, the Cardinals finished without a losing record.

After winning the 2019 Heisman Trophy while starring for the University of Oklahoma, Murray quickly validated the Cardinals’ faith in him. But the slide that precipitated the team’s failure to qualify for the playoffs was, as Murray explained, frustrating for everyone.

Part of the problem was Murray played through injuries down the stretch in an effort to help the Cardinals clear the hurdle. He just wasn’t where he needed to be physically, and it showed in his uneven performance. When Murray is in top form, the Cardinals can compete with any opponent, head coach Kliff Kingsbury said.

“At times last year, I felt Kyler was dominant. Then there were games that I felt like we could have played better,” Kingsbury said. “And that’s what you have when you have young players who are trying to improve. So to take that big step in a quarterback’s third year … you have to surround him with high-level talent. And we feel like, hopefully, we’ve done that.”

In March, the Cardinals moved to bolster their receiving corps and offensive line. They signed Green – who with the Cincinnati Bengals was selected to seven straight Pro Bowls to start his career – in free agency and acquired three-time Pro Bowl center Rodney Hudson in a trade with the Las Vegas Raiders. Once one of the league’s most productive wideouts, Green, 33, missed the entire 2019 season after suffering torn ligaments in his ankle. Last season, Green had career-lows in yards receiving, yards per reception and touchdowns. Don’t be surprised if Green, who’s off to a fast start in practice, rebounds impressively this season, Murray said.

“It’s only been a couple of weeks, but it feels like he’s been here for a year,” Murray said. “The guy is smart. He has played a lot of football. Many times, I’ve said, ‘Dude, I don’t know why people are doubting you and questioning you like you’re not A.J. Green.’ He’s a guy who I grew up watching, going crazy [during games]. He’s an All-Pro type of guy, an elite receiver, and I’m very grateful to have him on my team.”

Murray is also excited about Moore
. At his pro day, the former Purdue standout recorded a time of 4.29 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Green and Moore have been the talk of training camp, and the Cardinals are counting on them to help replace 17-year veteran and future Hall of Famer Larry Fitzgerald, who is a free agent and has not announced whether he plans to retire.

With Murray on the rise and team management having put more talent around him, the Cardinals appear poised to reach a new level this season. And providing they do, that’s something Murray would surely be eager to talk about.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
In no way am I ready to compare Moore and Boldin. That's why this insane hype surrounding Moore is just that--insane.
Literally no one is comparing the two.

Every local reporter is caveating the hype.

You're creating a strawman here.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Hurt already and has been consistently getting injured which is why he hasnt looked like JJ Watt of old in 2-3 years

And yet Keim gave him 23 million guaranteed. You are paying premium money for a guy who has not shown the ability to stay on the field consistently in a while.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hurt already and has been consistently getting injured which is why he hasnt looked like JJ Watt of old in 2-3 years

And yet Keim gave him 23 million guaranteed. You are paying premium money for a guy who has not shown the ability to stay on the field consistently in a while.

He was one of the most double teamed players in the league last year and PFF's 7th top graded lineman.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
IIRC: it was Jurecki who quoted a Cards FO employee that said Moore will have the biggest impact as a rookie WR since Boldin. "Since" is really the key word here

and as a matter of philosophy: I reject the hype police

NFL football is entertainment. It literally doesnt matter in the grand scheme of life. If people want to imagine that Rondale Moore is the next Steve Smith or Tyreek Hill for the next three or four weeks: who cares.

Reality starts Sept 12 or so and we can deal with that then.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I think only one DL in the NFL saw a higher percentage of his teams defensive snaps than Watt did last year. He was on the field all last year and was almost always double teamed so I'd say he had an impact.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IIRC: it was Jurecki who quoted a Cards FO employee that said Moore will have the biggest impact as a rookie WR since Boldin. "Since" is really the key word here

NFL football is entertainment. It literally doesnt matter in the grand scheme of life. If people want to imagine that Rondale Moore is the next Steve Smith or Tyreek Hill for the next three or four weeks: who cares.

AMEN

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Are 16 games started and over 1000 snaps in 2020 "consistent" enough for you?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Hype police lol I mean, if folks want to go crazy and look silly in the doing, feel free. Also realize it will be commented upon. Also, also, it's more the media I'm targeting with these posts, especially the propaganda machine surrounding the Cards. Also, also, also, I must be a bad writer, because I can never spell propaganda right on the first try :)

football karma

Reaction score
Hype police lol I mean, if folks want to go crazy and look silly in the doing, feel free. Also realize it will be commented upon. Also, also, it's more the media I'm targeting with these posts, especially the propaganda machine surrounding the Cards. Also, also, also, I must be a bad writer, because I can never spell propaganda right on the first try :)
the teams history says that skepticism is warranted

but this is a relatively brief period where we can dream big before 18 weeks of reality has to be dealt with

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So you're calling your shot that Moore is Boldin 2.0? That limb you're out on already sounds like it's cracking. Even if some of the hype turns true and he's pretty good, he'll have to be a world beater to reach that level for us.
I can’t put my finger on the it part other than to say, Moore has it same as boldin had it.

I’m calling my shot that Moore will a special player in the NFL.

Boldin 2.0, not possible:)

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who's the best Cards rookie receiver since Boldin? is it Kirk? I dont think there's "insane hype" if local reporters are saying Moore is better than Kirk as a rookie...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's the best Cards rookie receiver since Boldin? is it Kirk? I dont think there's "insane hype" if local reporters are saying Moore is better than Kirk as a rookie...

Fitz was the best Cards rookie receiver since Boldin. So... yeah.

After Fitz was John Brown, who was a very solid contributor putting up 700 yards and drawing deep PI calls. If Moore ends up having a John Brown type rookie season, that would be fantastic.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

After Fitz was John Brown, who was a very solid contributor putting up 700 yards and drawing deep PI calls. If Moore ends up having a John Brown type rookie season, that would be fantastic.
Steve Breaston, was pretty solid for a fifth rounder
Michael Floyd has been enough good for 3 seasons
John brown yes has played well before being slowed down by his desease
Are the only 3 beside fitz and hopkins to reach the 1000 yards in a season

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To be fair Smoke had 43 YPG his rookie year. Kirk had 49.

Those few games injured held his total back.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just want Rondale to make his own mark, and have others being compared to him

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Steve Breaston, was pretty solid for a fifth rounder
Michael Floyd has been enough good for 3 seasons
John brown yes has played well before being slowed down by his desease
Are the only 3 beside fitz and hopkins to reach the 1000 yards in a season
Loved me some Stevie B.

I will always have hate in my heart for M. Floyd. I desperately wanted DeCastro.

Smoke was great. Came out of nowhere.
And JJ Nelson was very inconsistent but did make some fun catches for us in primetime spots.

football karma

Reaction score
not only was Boldin really good -- he was the #1 WR on that team. The other WRs were rookie Byrant Johnson and Bryan Gilmore. Combine that with a team constantly playing from behind and you will get big numbers: 101/1377/8 .

Fitz came the next year, and as a rookie had 58/780/8 his rookie year

after that, productive rookie WRs for the Cards (catches/yards/tds):

M. Floyd 45/562/2
J. Brown 48/696/5
C. Kirk 43/590/3

with Hopkins around, Moore just wont get the looks to even sniff Boldin -- but if as the 3rd WR he produces something like John Brown did, the offense ought to be pretty good