2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dame is the west coast version of Bradley Beal.

KD over Dame, career for career, presently, gravity. I have not seen Dame under any other circumstance but i do know what KD brings.

And yes 22 months in age difference is the a big difference in terms of nba age.

The only thing Dame has over KD is rapping, even then he's way below average.

I wouldn't ever call Dame the Western Bradley Beal. Dame >> Beal. I do like Beal but Dame is a top 10 player in the game, easily. He's arguably the #2 PG behind Steph and honestly I think if you swapped Dame with Steph, Golden State doesn't skip a beat. Dame has carried the Blazers to the WCF before and the only reason Portland has been semi competitive the last few years despite being the only quality player there since McCollum was dealt. He could retire tomorrow and be a Hall of Famer while Beal couldn't say the same. Dame was named one of the top 75 players of all time for a reason. Dude had 2 60+ point games last season and 5 in his career. He's an all time talent.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't ever call Dame the Western Bradley Beal. Dame >> Beal. I do like Beal but Dame is a top 10 player in the game, easily. He's arguably the #2 PG behind Steph and honestly I think if you swapped Dame with Steph, Golden State doesn't skip a beat. Dame has carried the Blazers to the WCF before and the only reason Portland has been semi competitive the last few years despite being the only quality player there since McCollum was dealt. He could retire tomorrow and be a Hall of Famer while Beal couldn't say the same. Dame was named one of the top 75 players of all time for a reason. Dude had 2 60+ point games last season and 5 in his career. He's an all time talent.
But Beal is younger!

#comeatmebro

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not in regards to stats or where they land in the league, but in regards to playing for nothing and being the main key with hardly any support under a bad organization.

All the the stuff you mentioned about Dame is true but man his usage rate is probably way higher than average.

And the conversation wasn't ever about "Dame >> Beal"...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But Beal is younger!

#comeatmebro

He is, but he's also not on Dame's level. I think the gap between Beal and Dame is larger than Dame and Durant.

I'd gladly trade Beal for Dame but I'd be pissed as a Portland fan if all we could get for Dame was Beal.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He is, but he's also not on Dame's level. I think the gap between Beal and Dame is larger than Dame and Durant.

I'd gladly trade Beal for Dame but I'd be pissed as a Portland fan if all we could get for Dame was Beal.
You know we could sweeten the deal by adding Watanabe.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not in regards to stats or where they land in the league, but in regards to playing for nothing and being the main key with hardly any support under a bad organization.

All the the stuff you mentioned about Dame is true but man his usage rate is probably way higher than average.

And the conversation wasn't ever about "Dame >> Beal"...

I get what you're saying but I think saying Beal was the East Coast Dame or Dame is the West Coast Beal downplays Dame's game a lot. Like Beal and McCollum works as a good comparison, IMO. I just view them as entirely different players in terms of style, effectiveness, and skillset.

It would be like saying Ayton is the West Coast Bam Abedayo. I just don't see the comparison. They have some similarities but are vastly different players with different strengths and weaknesses.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
As some backup beef, I think Javale would be a great piece to add, especially since Vogel found ways for him to be effective in spots and limit his negative attributes as a solid big man off the bench for the bubble-champs.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but I think saying Beal was the East Coast Dame or Dame is the West Coast Beal downplays Dame's game a lot. Like Beal and McCollum works as a good comparison, IMO. I just view them as entirely different players in terms of style, effectiveness, and skillset.

It would be like saying Ayton is the West Coast Bam Abedayo. I just don't see the comparison. They have some similarities but are vastly different players with different strengths and weaknesses.

If you take it that way i guess, but i stated how they played as the guy for their horrible organizations was the comparison.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Value isn't measured based on just the present, it includes the future too. Lillard has never been the player that KD has been. But he's also never been as injury prone as KD nor is he as close to the end of his career. I have no idea which of the two carries the higher price tag but I can see it being argued either way.
Well Lillard is hardly young, and he is not super durable either.

I still think KD's value is higher.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is not top 10 easily - he is in the 9-12 range.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Lillard is hardly young, and he is not super durable either.

I still think KD's value is higher.
Maybe. I'm really not coming down on either side of this. If it weren't for the fact that post-Achilles repair athletes have shortened careers, I'd definitely give KD the edge. But that, and the fact that Lillard just strikes me as the type of player to fall off a cliff as his age and injuries catch up with him further muddies the water for me.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kings have interest in signing JaVale McGee.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Durant's titles in Golden State weren't really his accomplishments. Add Embiid or Lillard to the Warriors and they win titles too.

KD joined a team that was a title winning team before he arrived and after he departed. It's funny to see how the narrative shifted among basketball fans here since KD became a Sun. A lot of people now gushing over KD were the same who trashed him for leaving OKC to join the Warriors.
He's always been one of my favorite players. So, no my narrative didn't change. I have always wanted him on the team. Unknown weather they could win with Embiid or Lillard because neither may have added the timely blocks and defensive stops he did to win those titles.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So would I. KD is more valuable period. Lillard can be more easily guarded, KD is more of a factor on defense, and KD is a more efficient player.

This is pretty well known, you can't find a top 10 list where Lillard ranks higher than KD.

Take everything that KD did prior to popping his achillies... ball it up... and chuck it out the window.

I don't care about KD's status on any all-time lists...

I'm taking Lillard over the version of KD that we traded for.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take everything that KD did prior to popping his achillies... ball it up... and chuck it out the window.

I don't care about KD's status on any all-time lists...

I'm taking Lillard over the version of KD that we traded for.
So am I.

KD still played pretty darn well for us, once we give him some more room with more shooters on the floor this year he is going to look even better.

You know even if you are right, nobody can change the past. We made the deal we made, and this years team should be amazing. You will be happier if you just focus on the present and the positives.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So am I.

KD still played pretty darn well for us, once we give him some more room with more shooters on the floor this year he is going to look even better.

You know even if you are right, nobody can change the past. We made the deal we made, and this years team should be amazing. You will be happier if you just focus on the present and the positives.

I am really excited for the season and I think we're a true contender, we just need to stay healthy... or at least be healthy at the right time, and this team should compete with the top few teams in the league.

That said, I am not going to revise my opinion on the mistakes that I think we've made and the risk we have incurred to get here and when my opinion gets challenged I will defend it.

I think we CAN win... and if we do win I will be thrilled and it will all be worth it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In all honestly, the wild swing on the opinion of KD... and reactions to said opinions, is obviously a lot of the discord here.

Prior to KD putting in a trade request to join the Suns, if someone here called him a thin skinned weirdo who, while being a fantastic player, is too injury prone to be relied upon, I doubt the opinion would have been challenged by virtually anyone. A year later, he is on the Suns... in the interim he also suffered 2 long injuries, got a coach fired (not counting Monty), put in 2 trade requests and has had more episodes of being a thin skinned weirdo online... and to espouse that opinion now makes you a hater, or to some, even someone who wants the Suns to fail.

I desperately want the Suns to win.

I also still think Durant is a thin skinned weirdo who is too injury prone to be relied upon...

But I do hope he can stay healthy when we need him to and that he can be a huge factor in winning us a title.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets agree to a 1-year deal with Harry Giles.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Prior to KD putting in a trade request to join the Suns, if someone here called him a thin skinned weirdo who, while being a fantastic player, is too injury prone to be relied upon, I doubt the opinion would have been challenged by virtually anyone.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all honestly, the wild swing on the opinion of KD... and reactions to said opinions, is obviously a lot of the discord here.

Prior to KD putting in a trade request to join the Suns, if someone here called him a thin skinned weirdo who, while being a fantastic player, is too injury prone to be relied upon, I doubt the opinion would have been challenged by virtually anyone. A year later, he is on the Suns... in the interim he also suffered 2 long injuries, got a coach fired (not counting Monty), put in 2 trade requests and has had more episodes of being a thin skinned weirdo online... and to espouse that opinion now makes you a hater, or to some, even someone who wants the Suns to fail.

I desperately want the Suns to win.

I also still think Durant is a thin skinned weirdo who is too injury prone to be relied upon...

But I do hope he can stay healthy when we need him to and that he can be a huge factor in winning us a title.
Most people (not all) are quick to point out why they don't "think" they want someone but often it's because it's a pipe dream. The Suns have not been a hotbed destination for guys like Kobe, Lebron etc.... Most people don't think there is a chance. It's no coincidence that once it was revealed there was a REAL chance to get a generational player that fans got excited and could start to actually fathom it could happen. I heard the same type of things on this forum during the KG sweepstakes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser