2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am rather familiar with these opinions - and again - Ayton spending time in the gym isn't going to solve a damn thing because his issues are mental issues - issues that can't be simulated in or fixed the in a practice setting

Problem is Ayton chokes on the big stage - and Monty never once put his hands around the big man's neck - we're talking self induced chokage - he just can't handle the moment

But anyways I'll be more than happy to revisit all of this later in the season should Ayton continue to disappear or magically turn into a different person
I am done listening to Ayton talk as well. He has done that since he came into the league. I am still laughing at his DominAyton comments. Talk is cheap. The only thing that is going to change minds about Ayton is what he does on the court. Monty definitely played a role with player relationship issues. There is zero doubt of that. You seem to be indicating that everyone is putting all the blame on Monty.

I don't see that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is gone, from now on you won't have anyone to blame Ayton on
No one here is predicting Ayton will become something he hasn't been. Many of us are clinging to hope because the best thing that can happen to this team is for DA to do a 180 and become the player we hoped we drafted. It's a longshot, a very longshot but trading him for anywhere close to top pick value is an even greater longshot. And trading him for trash or even mediocrity doesn't help us win a championship.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
No one here is predicting Ayton will become something he hasn't been. Many of us are clinging to hope because the best thing that can happen to this team is for DA to do a 180 and become the player we hoped we drafted. It's a longshot, a very longshot but trading him for anywhere close to top pick value is an even greater longshot. And trading him for trash or even mediocrity doesn't help us win a championship.
I actually hope Ayton does a 180 too - as it could be the difference between an actual ring or just another disappointment - but like I said when someone tells you who they are you should believe them

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just want him to get to the level he HAS played at before. That's good now that he's the FOURTH option!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I don't think any of us are predicting that Ayton is going to be a superstar just because he says so. I don't think most people are cheering for Ayton to fail. We need him to be that player and hope he can because it helps our title hopes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually hope Ayton does a 180 too - as it could be the difference between an actual ring or just another disappointment - but like I said when someone tells you who they are you should believe them

The Suns are riding with Ayton because it's the only option. If he had anything close to fair trade value I think he would be gone.

Waiving him serves no purpose because it doesn't save the Suns any money. The Suns are already into the second tax apron. This is why dumping him doesn't make any sense. Cutting him doesn't get the Suns anything more than a roster spot for a vet minimum player.

All we can do is hope he responds to Frank Vogel.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The Suns are riding with Ayton because it's the only option. If he had anything close to fair trade value I think he would be gone.

Waiving him serves no purpose because it doesn't save the Suns any money. The Suns are already into the second tax apron. This is why dumping him doesn't make any sense. Cutting him doesn't get the Suns anything more than a roster spot for a vet minimum player.

We're talking about Ayton's performance issues - not how to get rid of him - but if I were looking to get rid of him I'd try and do it with a sign and trade with another team - problem is nobody wants Ayton at $33 million a year

All we can do is hope DeAndre Ayton has some type of ginormous mental breakthrough between now and the playoffs

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're talking about Ayton's performance issues - not how to get rid of him - but if I were looking to get rid of him I'd try and do it with a sign and trade with another team - problem is nobody wants Ayton at $33 million a year

All we can do is hope DeAndre Ayton has some type of ginormous mental breakthrough between now and the playoffs

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought your position was to get rid of Ayton, period because of his performance issues.

Many would agree if the right trade were available.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought your position was to get rid of Ayton, period because of his performance issues.

Many would agree if the right trade were available.
Yessir, I'd personally like to get rid of him, period. Sign and trade would be the most beneficial for the team

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yessir, I'd personally like to get rid of him, period. Sign and trade would be the most beneficial for the team
I think we all agree with the sentiment if he doesn't improve just not your end result. You mentioned trading him just to get rid of him and getting rid of him period. I think that's where we all diverge from you. I don't think most of us here would be sad if we could trade him and get a legit big in return. We absolutely can't just get rid of him for garbage just to get rid of him. It hurts this team more than keeping him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could still happen. Strange things materialize at the trade deadline.
Teams could decide to rebuild, trade guys in salary matches, think they could do better with your player's etc. It could all change on a dime at any point. No market now doesn't mean no market later. The Suns just are not stupid enough to dump Ayton just to dump him. Seems like all the Suns latest moves are all around value (minus the salary dump for Payne).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you are looking at the overall quality of the roster, and not worrying about money, this post is exactly true. And since Ishbia is more interested in winning than money, it makes no sense to cut Ayton or trade him for less than value. He is a quality player regardless of whether or not he meets the expectations of a first overall pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Gambo isn’t wrong. Monty didnt want him. He and Ayton never saw eye to eye on what his role should be on the team. Neither wanted to budge and Monty was a straight up ass to him. Ayton quit on him. It was a toxic relationship. Ayton’s not the first one to experience this.

I believe this is the first time he’s acknowledge the hatred he gets from fans. Two months ago, he was dismissive of the narrative. Today, he seems more understanding of why people feel animosity towards him. Not sure what this means in the end, but this is a different sort of response than the dog and pony show he’s given in the past
I mean he can change the narrative pretty damn quickly, but it’s all on him. It’s not rocket science.

That said, you’re right. This is a different look from him. He looks legitimately forlorn about the reality. What is the same is the talk about doing something. Time for talk is done. Show us. Let your activity speak for you deandre.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And you don't have to. If Ayton wanted to do some self improvement he should've done it after the first time he quit on his team - after the Finals - or even the following year after the Dallas drubbing

Honestly - and this probably won't go over very well on ASFN - I think Ayton needs to eat a large amount of psychedelic mushrooms or some peyote or something

When I did I broke into two people - a good Shawn and a bad Shawn - and the good Shawn mentally beat the ish out of the bad Shawn for about 6 hours straight

Came out an entirely different man - left a lot of fear and baggage behind
So now the good Shawn only lets the bad Shawn out on ASFN to fight with people who are critical of monty?

I keed, I keed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's weird you're trying to act like it was only a Monty Williams and DeAndre Ayton situation when it clearly wasn't

Ayton pulled the same exact crap with CP3, Mikal Bridges, Devin Booker, and Kevin Durant AND THAT WAS ALL JUST THIS YEAR

So it's all of their faults too??

Does Monty deserve part of the blame? I reckon we'll know the answer to that this season when Frank Vogel can't get more out of DeAndre Ayton

This is just wrong by all accounts the players on the team like Ayton, hell Bridges is like his best friend.

But I get it lol

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
This is just wrong by all accounts the players on the team like Ayton, hell Bridges is like his best friend.

But I get it lol
Ayton ignored each of them - and their attempts at motivating him - during crunch time

You know... I think I'm going to self impose a break from discussing Ayton lol because this is getting crazy

I mean I try and stop talking about the dude but it's hard when folks keep making excuses for the guy and denying numerous incidents that were captured live on camera

So one last time for the people in the back

I don't think Ayton is going to turn it around but I hope myself (and every GM in the NBA) are dead wrong

I'd prefer a sign and trade as the exit plan - but I'd be open to pretty much anything that'll get Ayton out of Phx and his contract off our books - so that we could then replace his spot with a (cheaper) free agent - and I'm not going to argue further about this lol so save your breath

So that's it. It's July 21st. Let's set the clock for ummm... how about August 21st unless some major news breaks? If anybody tries to talk DeAndre with me during this next month they can expect a DeAndre type response lol

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean he can change the narrative pretty damn quickly, but it’s all on him. It’s not rocket science.

That said, you’re right. This is a different look from him. He looks legitimately forlorn about the reality. What is the same is the talk about doing something. Time for talk is done. Show us. Let your activity speak for you deandre.
Yeah. He does look different. Maybe he requested a trade and was shocked to see that no one really wanted him. That would be a wake-up call.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is the Suns have tried so this is why we are where we are today.

I'd be thrilled to have the Ayton that played in the Finals season.

What’s funny is you go back and look at this board during that run and it’s the same stuff. It’s filled with Ayton sucks and doesn’t play hard post.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton ignored each of them - and their attempts at motivating him - during crunch time

You know... I think I'm going to self impose a break from discussing Ayton lol because this is getting crazy

I mean I try and stop talking about the dude but it's hard when folks keep making excuses for the guy and denying numerous incidents that were captured live on camera

So one last time for the people in the back

I don't think Ayton is going to turn it around but I hope myself (and every GM in the NBA) are dead wrong

I'd prefer a sign and trade as the exit plan - but I'd be open to pretty much anything that'll get Ayton out of Phx and his contract off our books - so that we could then replace his spot with a (cheaper) free agent - and I'm not going to argue further about this lol so save your breath

So that's it. It's July 21st. Let's set the clock for ummm... how about August 21st unless some major news breaks? If anybody tries to talk DeAndre with me during this next month they can expect a DeAndre type response lol

You keep throwing out the term “sign and trade” but I’m really curious what free agents are signing, where are they signing and why are they trading them here. I’d love some examples

I get the feeling you’re just talking and saying phrases you’ve heard without really knowing how things work.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You keep throwing out the term “sign and trade” but I’m really curious what free agents are signing, where are they signing and why are they trading them here. I’d love some examples

I get the feeling you’re just talking and saying phrases you’ve heard without really knowing how things work.
You can insinuate whatever mean spirited trash you want to my man - it's getting kinda tired tho

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05