2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Cards posted a vid of all 100 of Kylers TD throws.

a few things stood out--

one being that if Fitz or Hop were in 1v1 coverage near the endzone -- regardless of if they looked open or not-- Kyler put it on them and asked them to make a play.

This is the kind of throw that Marvin needs to be way more aggressive getting. Its also the kind of play that you see bigger X wrs make with regularity across the NFL.

If Marv just catches 50% of those throws -- he has an extra 80 yards in receiving today and another TD
Yep. I posted it in another thread.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
He was pretty good at it in college - just hasn't translated yet in the NFL.

You must be registered for see images attach

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was pretty good at it in college - just hasn't translated yet in the NFL.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ohio St playing the easiest schedule of all major NCAA football powers year in and year out doesn't help their QBs or WRs. Last year they played "elite" programs like Youngstown St and Western Kentucky. Not to mention to all the mediocre Big 10 schools excepting Michigan.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ohio St playing the easiest schedule of all major NCAA football powers year in and year out doesn't help their QBs or WRs. Last year they played "elite" programs like Youngstown St and Western Kentucky. Not to mention to all the mediocre Big 10 schools excepting Michigan.
The Big XII would like a word with you.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember that Notre Dame game where a future 5th round pick, Cam Hart, and a freshman completely erased MHJ from the game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHNX Cardinals Podcast had Mina Kimes on, they were talking about Marv.

She thinks Petzing needs to feature him more, that it feels like we're just running the same offense we ran last year and oh btw every now and then here's a play for Marv. Said we're running too many low % plays for him. She took for granted he'd be NFL ready and polished so she's a bit surprised he's not looking that way.

FWIW the announcers said the coaches confirmed on the play where Kyler had to call timeout because guys weren't lined up, Marv was the guy who was NOT lined up right.

Kimes loves him, said he can run the whole route tree and she thinks we should take more advantage of that in the offense. But she did agree with the podcasters, it looks at times like he's not comfortable, he's not sure what he's doing and it shows in his routes sometimes, which was his strength in college.

Also on Kyler said he's definitely not been perfect but she says he's playing well but can play better.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Are you implying their WRs have been struggling out of the gate? CJ Stroud?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you implying their WRs have been struggling out of the gate? CJ Stroud?
Yes. And CJ Stroud is the exception to a long string of disappointing QBs from Ohio St before him.
To be clear, I was 100% behind drafting MHJ and still am. I thought he was a cut above guys like Chris Olave (who is good), etc

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
PHNX Cardinals Podcast had Mina Kimes on, they were talking about Marv.

She thinks Petzing needs to feature him more, that it feels like we're just running the same offense we ran last year and oh btw every now and then here's a play for Marv. Said we're running too many low % plays for him. She took for granted he'd be NFL ready and polished so she's a bit surprised he's not looking that way.

FWIW the announcers said the coaches confirmed on the play where Kyler had to call timeout because guys weren't lined up, Marv was the guy who was NOT lined up right.

Kimes loves him, said he can run the whole route tree and she thinks we should take more advantage of that in the offense. But she did agree with the podcasters, it looks at times like he's not comfortable, he's not sure what he's doing and it shows in his routes sometimes, which was his strength in college.

Also on Kyler said he's definitely not been perfect but she says he's playing well but can play better.
As much as I clown on the PHNX crew, Kimes is a good get.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I heard this morning that Harrison only has one more catch than Dortch. That’s a crime. If he and Kyler can get on the same page, this offense, already with the 4th best rushing game, will be very very hard to stop.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. And CJ Stroud is the exception to a long string of disappointing QBs from Ohio St before him.
To be clear, I was 100% behind drafting MHJ and still am. I thought he was a cut above guys like Chris Olave (who is good), etc
Olave & Wilson each had over 1,000 yards their rookie years. JSN put up over 600 as the third WR on the Seahawks.

I don’t understand how that’s considered struggling.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think I heard this morning that Harrison only has one more catch than Dortch. That’s a crime. If he and Kyler can get on the same page, this offense, already with the 4th best rushing game, will be very very hard to stop.

That's factual, but not necessarily meaningful. Michael Wilson has two more receptions than MHJ, and McBridge had three more despite missing an entire game. It's a low-volume passing offense right now (26th in the NFL in attempts). Small difference in counting stats are going to have big impacts in percentages.

MHJ leads the team in target share at just over 25%. That's lower than Garrett Wilson is getting with the Jets (over 30%). Wan'Dale Robinson has a 28% target share as the second option in the Giants' passing attack. Yowza.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Olave & Wilson each had over 1,000 yards their rookie years. JSN put up over 600 as the third WR on the Seahawks.

Agree. And get ready for a long line of OSU WRs getting drafted high.
Egbuka this year, Carnell Tate next, and Jeremiah Smith the following year.

Smith will be the best of them all.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not. And I am not down on MHJ. But he hasn't strolled in and immediately become the top WR in the NFL. It's still a jump from Ohio St.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake