2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The vast majority of us wanted him and I think that many of us would take it back at this point and draft either Nabers or Alt. MHJ catches the ball with his body and his hands appear to be pretty poor. Thats going to take a while to correct. I don’t care what plays are called, when you get two hands on the ball and drop it, you are not doing your job

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He's a Maserati with the aggressiveness of Yugo. He's got to toughen up and make plays on balls, instead of continuing to let defenders knock him off his route and/or waiting for the ball to get to him.
100%
It's an attitude. "That's MY freaking ball" ...then get after it...
Marv ain't there yet

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
And Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas are. Thats the disappointment

First, let me say I'm far far away from saying MHJ is a bust.

But based on all the "he already preparers like an NFL veteran" stuff I would have thought he'd be a little more NFL-ready. He's not. I mean pretty clearly he's not.

To me (what do I know), it seems like he's actually below average NFL-ready, which is shocking and super disappointing.

But again, I probably had unrealistic expectations about him coming in and dominating. As long as he's playing great (like top-10-WR-in-the-league great) by year two or even three, then it will be fine.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
But based on all the "he already preparers like an NFL veteran" stuff I would have thought he'd be a little more NFL-ready. He's not. I mean pretty clearly he's not.

To me (what do I know), it seems like he's actually below average NFL-ready, which is shocking and super disappointing.
Maybe his dad saw this, too, and that's the real reason he was held out of pre-draft workouts and the combine, to prepare for an NFL season.

Do they run a complex offense at O St? Because on top of his lack of aggressiveness, he also seems to lack some fundamentals of where his routes are supposed to go in Petzings offense. I don't really see other young or new receivers on the team having as hard a time with it, as Marv is. Every game there seems to be plays where he zags and he should have zigged.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe his dad saw this, too, and that's the real reason he was held out of pre-draft workouts and the combine, to prepare for an NFL season.

Do they run a complex offense at O St? Because on top of his lack of aggressiveness, he also seems to lack some fundamentals of where his routes are supposed to go in Petzings offense. I don't really see other young or new receivers on the team having as hard a time with it, as Marv is. Every game there seems to be plays where he zags and he should have zigged.
I’m starting to worry about what’s between his ears.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really did not want us to draft him. Wanted us to trade down and still manage to draft Rome Odunze but get some other picks as well. Even if we missed out on Odunze - I wanted us to get more players. We were not one top WR away from being a contender.

Something just seemed off about MHJ with the way he was handling everything coming out of college. And then there is the history of all of the father and son tandems that have ever played in the NFL - no son has ever followed a HOF career by their father with a HOF career of their own. We are already bad enough - we don't need to try and beat history while we are at it.

Just like Murray, I will keep hoping he proves me wrong. As a fan - even if you wouldn't have drafted either guy - you have no choice but to cheer for the players we do have. SMH.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Last thing I got...If Cards are following the Detroit model...look at how many 1st Round bust WRs they drafted, before they finally landed on Calvin Johnson.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
MHJ is going to be fine guys. Almost every WR we have added needed time to gel with Kyler. Larry needed time to gel. Hopkins needed the least but still needed some. Wilson needed time. AJ Green needed time. Brown never really got that connection. One of the best traits for Marv is his work ethic. He will figure it out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MHJ is going to be fine guys. Almost every WR we have added needed time to gel with Kyler. Larry needed time to gel. Hopkins needed the least but still needed some. Wilson needed time. AJ Green needed time. Brown never really got that connection. One of the best traits for Marv is his work ethic. He will figure it out.
I don’t like equating Larry and AJ here cause they were already over the hill by the time they linked up with Kyler. I think Christian Kirk is a way better example.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really did not want us to draft him. Wanted us to trade down and still manage to draft Rome Odunze but get some other picks as well. Even if we missed out on Odunze - I wanted us to get more players. We were not one top WR away from being a contender.

Something just seemed off about MHJ with the way he was handling everything coming out of college. And then there is the history of all of the father and son tandems that have ever played in the NFL - no son has ever followed a HOF career by their father with a HOF career of their own. We are already bad enough - we don't need to try and beat history while we are at it.

Just like Murray, I will keep hoping he proves me wrong. As a fan - even if you wouldn't have drafted either guy - you have no choice but to cheer for the players we do have. SMH.

The only real doubt I had personality wise is just a pet peeve of mine, the whole wearing sunglasses indoors thing. That's always been a weird thing IMO but certainly not something that says don't draft the kid. And I don't think that has anything to do with his issues, by all accounts he IS working hard.

I just think he's in a position where the team needs him to be great right now, and he's not. I think he certainly can be and probably eventually will be but he seems a bit overwhelmed right now. He makes a play and then disappears.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The only real doubt I had personality wise is just a pet peeve of mine, the whole wearing sunglasses indoors thing. That's always been a weird thing IMO but certainly not something that says don't draft the kid. And I don't think that has anything to do with his issues, by all accounts he IS working hard.

I just think he's in a position where the team needs him to be great right now, and he's not. I think he certainly can be and probably eventually will be but he seems a bit overwhelmed right now. He makes a play and then disappears.
The team is doing nothing to make things easy on him. Not moving him pre-snap and not setting him up for easy catches on short routes and screen plays. I get that those routes may not be his greatest strength, but it at least gets him involved in the offense early and often. It also gives the defense more to think about than a grand total of like 5 different routes that are all down the field.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To quote Larry David:

There’s only two type of people who wear sunglasses indoors… blind people and a-holes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22