2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns should have signed Wiseman on the cheap?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He's unplayable. If not for the draft number attached to his name he'd have been out of the league years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many bad centers do we need?

I'd say three because if Nurkic misses games or goes out with foul trouble, they need a backup for the backup. The Suns were vulnerable in the middle last season.

I don't count on rookies. Daniel Theis or Paul Reed would be solid.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We can take back less salary in a trade. We can't take more. Say a team wants Little then we can trade him for someone who only makes $3 million next season, provided they have cap space to absorb the difference between what they sent out and what he makes. That cuts almost $4 million from our salary. We can't take back more in a trade but there's no restrictions on less. Normal trade provisions are in place for trades as far as acquiring less salary. Either the team we're dealing with needs cap space to absorb the difference or the salary needs to be with 15% of the incoming salary. So a team could trade for Little's $6.75 million deal if they sent us a player making $6 million, for example, even if they're over the cap.
Yeah, but you still have to be within the 15% difference in salaries. When you are trying to get under the second apron 15% doesn't cut it. For example, say we wanted to trade KD to one of the teams that is stockpiling first round picks, and they can totally absorb KD's salary, we should be able to just take picks back only. I think they need to make exceptions for teams over the second apron.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd say three because if Nurkic misses games or goes out with foul trouble, they need a backup for the backup. The Suns were vulnerable in the middle last season.

I don't count on rookies. Daniel Theis or Paul Reed would be solid.
Maybe you should start to count on rookies again. You love the bench guys and Bud is going to give them to you.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were talking about this on a UCLA board. Anybody seen any of the France pre Olympic games highlights? Wemby looks much taller than Gober he's only supposed to be 2 inches taller so curious if he grew or Gobert isn't really 7'2".

He had 25 in 19 minutes in the game against Germany. Looks to have improved, quality coaching in SA.

Post all star game he was 23.5, 12 RPG 4.5 BPG 5.3 APG. His FG% went down slightly because he took 7 threes a game but everything else went up, significantly, with just about 4 more minutes per game.

If he can stay healthy look out

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, but you still have to be within the 15% difference in salaries. When you are trying to get under the second apron 15% doesn't cut it. For example, say we wanted to trade KD to one of the teams that is stockpiling first round picks, and they can totally absorb KD's salary, we should be able to just take picks back only. I think they need to make exceptions for teams over the second apron.

If a team has cap space to absorb the deal then there isn't any salary matching that needs done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should start to count on rookies again. You love the bench guys and Bud is going to give them to you.

I enjoy the rookies, always have, but it is not smart to count on them in their rookie season.

If they contribute their first season, it's a win-win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears some GMs are considered better than others around the NBA.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We were talking about this on a UCLA board. Anybody seen any of the France pre Olympic games highlights? Wemby looks much taller than Gober he's only supposed to be 2 inches taller so curious if he grew or Gobert isn't really 7'2".

He had 25 in 19 minutes in the game against Germany. Looks to have improved, quality coaching in SA.

Post all star game he was 23.5, 12 RPG 4.5 BPG 5.3 APG. His FG% went down slightly because he took 7 threes a game but everything else went up, significantly, with just about 4 more minutes per game.

He was already a top-10 player by the end of his rookie year and he’s still growing and improving as a shooter. Truly a ceiling-less player

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I hate that San Antonio got another one.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Jones is probably on the opposite side of the spectrum
Absolutely. I'm guessing when other teams are trying to dump bad contracts or other negative value assets, or get a draft pick for cheap, he's probably the first name they pull up on their Rolodex.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Sure... but I'm still not convinced he's going to stay healthy long term. Growing taller isn't going to help that either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Surprised Tyus Jones is sitting out there with no one biting. He’s a great backup PG.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of prospects sounds like the NBA guys are quite impressed with Cooper Flagg so far in his scrimmages against the national team. Showing a better outside shot than people expected. Competes at both ends, chance to be an elite defender.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Speaking of prospects sounds like the NBA guys are quite impressed with Cooper Flagg so far in his scrimmages against the national team. Showing a better outside shot than people expected. Competes at both ends, chance to be an elite defender.

He’s still 17 and should be entering his final year of HS. It’s kind of the opposite of what some elite prospects do. He’s going to be 18 years old to start his rookie year (the anti-OJ Mayo).

Duke will probably have the top-2 picks next year. If Scheyer can’t win with that team…

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

White guy, named "Cooper Flagg", anointed next superstar... Utah is soooooo desperate to suck this year. I'd be shocked of Lauri doesn't get moved.

I really hope they go 4-78 and end up picking 4th.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Trent Jr. would be a nice addition for some team.