2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could be wrong but this screams he didn't want to do it or possibly something else happened and was given the choice to leave. I don't think he is rehabbing any injury. Although, the Clips might want him to save his knees for the regular season.

His knee is toast. He can't play more than a month without having to take several games off because of swelling.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His knee is toast. He can't play more than a month without having to take several games off because of swelling.
OK, then this makes more sense but then why agree to it? It's not like this is new news. It might be the organization giving him a dose of reality.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saddiq Bey signs with the Wizards.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's unplayable. If not for the draft number attached to his name he'd have been out of the league years ago.
Have any of you actually scouted Wiseman? I know big men often develop later. Just curious because I haven’t watched him much. He seemed to have some promise early on with the Warriors

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have any of you actually scouted Wiseman? I know big men often develop later. Just curious because I haven’t watched him much. He seemed to have some promise early on with the Warriors

I have not sat there and taken notes or anything but I've seen several of his games. He gets lost on defense, he doesn't have much of a motor and on offense he can do very little unless he's setup by a teammate, okayish on the glass.

He should never have been the #2 pick, if not for covid I think he would have plummeted down the draft boards. Him quitting on his college team should have been a enough of a red flag on it's own.

The way his Pacer contract is structured, it is pretty clear that they don't expect him to make the roster, only 500k guaranteed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not sat there and taken notes or anything but I've seen several of his games. He gets lost on defense, he doesn't have much of a motor and on offense he can do very little unless he's setup by a teammate, okayish on the glass.

He should never have been the #2 pick, if not for covid I think he would have plummeted down the draft boards. Him quitting on his college team should have been a enough of a red flag on it's own.

The way his Pacer contract is structured, it is pretty clear that they don't expect him to make the roster, only 500k guaranteed.

Quitting Memphis didn't bother me so much after I saw him explain why he did. He was told repeatedly by the NCAA that even though they had a 12 game suspension deal where he had to pay back 11,500, it didn't guarantee that Memphis wouldn't end up having to forfeit the season, he'd already played in a couple of games under an injunction and the NCAA basically told him those 2 games could end up getting Memphis' entire season wiped out. It wouldn't have but he was a kid and apparently believed it. So after the 12 game suspension reality set in he said he didn't have the money, so his agent convinced him it was better to just turn pro and get ready for the draft. I think his representation was bad.

The real red flag should have been how incredibly unaware Wiseman was if you beleive him. didn't know Penny was paying his mom for him to move. Didn't know the 2 games would have been forfeited(possibly) not the whole season. Didn't know he could use NBA earnings to pay back the NCAA penalty. Should have set off some warning signs hey this kid is incredibly immature.

The big knock on him with the Warriors was he was constantly lost on defense, and he has a very slow jump, he can run and jump for his size but he's not quick off his feet and that's why people go right at him and score over him, with his length and hops he should block lots of shots but doesn't.

Just didn't develop, had some games he looked like David Robinson but overall just couldn't play the way the Warriors wanted him too. I still pull for him seemed like a nice kid but yeah I don't see the light turning on for him, he's still 23 but with his knee injury history and other issues not sure it ever happens. He was -326 last year in Detroit! I remember that being talked up with the Warriors he always had a bad plus minus.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I just say again how much I dislike Dillon Brooks? In a basically exhibition game against the USA, he took so many cheap shots LeBron was ready to deck him apparently.

At one point Curry starts to get on a heater, he shoots a 3 off a curl that goes in, the ball is gone and Brooks flies by and hits him in the head. Curry just shook his head. A bit later Curry beats SGA on a move and as he drives to the bucket Brooks sticks his foot out, way exaggerated not a normal move and tries to trip Curry. He winds up with an and 1 turns and looks at Brooks.

He should be playing hockey.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Can I just say again how much I dislike Dillon Brooks? In a basically exhibition game against the USA, he took so many cheap shots LeBron was ready to deck him apparently.

At one point Curry starts to get on a heater, he shoots a 3 off a curl that goes in, the ball is gone and Brooks flies by and hits him in the head. Curry just shook his head. A bit later Curry beats SGA on a move and as he drives to the bucket Brooks sticks his foot out, way exaggerated not a normal move and tries to trip Curry. He winds up with an and 1 turns and looks at Brooks.

He should be playing hockey.
This rube?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Quitting Memphis didn't bother me so much after I saw him explain why he did. He was told repeatedly by the NCAA that even though they had a 12 game suspension deal where he had to pay back 11,500, it didn't guarantee that Memphis wouldn't end up having to forfeit the season, he'd already played in a couple of games under an injunction and the NCAA basically told him those 2 games could end up getting Memphis' entire season wiped out. It wouldn't have but he was a kid and apparently believed it. So after the 12 game suspension reality set in he said he didn't have the money, so his agent convinced him it was better to just turn pro and get ready for the draft. I think his representation was bad.

The real red flag should have been how incredibly unaware Wiseman was if you beleive him. didn't know Penny was paying his mom for him to move. Didn't know the 2 games would have been forfeited(possibly) not the whole season. Didn't know he could use NBA earnings to pay back the NCAA penalty. Should have set off some warning signs hey this kid is incredibly immature.

The big knock on him with the Warriors was he was constantly lost on defense, and he has a very slow jump, he can run and jump for his size but he's not quick off his feet and that's why people go right at him and score over him, with his length and hops he should block lots of shots but doesn't.

Just didn't develop, had some games he looked like David Robinson but overall just couldn't play the way the Warriors wanted him too. I still pull for him seemed like a nice kid but yeah I don't see the light turning on for him, he's still 23 but with his knee injury history and other issues not sure it ever happens. He was -326 last year in Detroit! I remember that being talked up with the Warriors he always had a bad plus minus.

That was the Covid draft which was a mess. Everyone kind of gets a pass since you couldn’t do workouts or meet with prospects to the level of normal years. Edwards is the only guy drafted in the top-10 that will ever be an all star unless LaMelo can stay healthy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the US National team, interesting interview with Draymond and Baron Davis the other day. Not saying it's all true and Baron has his own fault in it but Baron outright said Coach K didn't even invite him to the Olympic team tryouts because "he was still mad I didn't go to Duke."

Draymond seemed to be skeptical saying you really think it's because you went to UCLA not Duke and Baron said absolutely it was.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Speaking of the US National team, interesting interview with Draymond and Baron Davis the other day. Not saying it's all true and Baron has his own fault in it but Baron outright said Coach K didn't even invite him to the Olympic team tryouts because "he was still mad I didn't go to Duke."

Draymond seemed to be skeptical saying you really think it's because you went to UCLA not Duke and Baron said absolutely it was.
You're not talking about NBA Hall of Famer Baron Davis, are you??

Oh wait. There's no such thing as NBA Hall of Famer Baron Davis.

Sit down and shut up fool. When even Draymond Green thinks you're nuts, you're definitely on the fast train to cuckootown.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sit down and shut up fool. When even Draymond Green thinks you're nuts, you're definitely on the fast train to cuckootown.

Since when did you need to be a Hall of Famer to make the national team? Somebody should find out how Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams, Michael Redd, and Tayshaun Prince got Olympic medals.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since when did you need to be a Hall of Famer to make the national team? Somebody should find out how Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams, Michael Redd, and Tayshaun Prince got Olympic medals.
He was exaggerating to make a point. BD did not make the national team because he wasn't good enough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about taking one for the team, Jalen Brunson did it by signing a contract much less than his value with the Knicks so they can keep roster flexibility.

He leaves $100+ million on the table.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could Mikal Bridges take a discount for the Knicks as well?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could Mikal Bridges take a discount for the Knicks as well?

If he does the hopes of some Suns fans he will ever make it back here will evaporate.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he does the hopes of some Suns fans he will ever make it back here will evaporate.

When the Suns traded Mikal, I pretty much gave up hope he would return in the foreseeable future.

It was a sad and bad trade.

Yet, I hope the Suns will eventually turn it around under Ishbia. He has demonstrated he will spend whatever it takes to win. Unfortunately, winning is not all about money.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the Suns traded Mikal, I pretty much gave up hope he would return in the foreseeable future.

It was a sad and bad trade.

Yet, I hope the Suns will eventually turn it around under Ishbia. He has demonstrated he will spend whatever it takes to win. Unfortunately, winning is not all about money.
If Book and Bridges reunite someday, it looks like it happens in New York.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Book and Bridges reunite someday, it looks like it happens in New York.

If Booker ever goes somewhere else, I can see him being a Laker someday with his respect for Kobe.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Too bad his entire career changed on that dunk against Michigan where he tore up his knee. Biggest issue was his weight IMO, he just never got in shape in the NBA.

His comment was that Luke Ridnour got an invite and I don't . Given Coach K's personality it wouldn't surprise me, but it was an odd thing to bust out in an interview in 2024, 16 years after the fact.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was exaggerating to make a point. BD did not make the national team because he wasn't good enough.

Actually I disagree with that. You can't make the team if you're not invited to the tryouts. He was clearly better than Luke Ridnour who got an invite.

But I guess the argument also is they have to pick guys that fit together and that's probably not something you could expect Baron to do