2024 NBA Draft talk: Suns own pick 22

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any comments below Suns articles on Arizona Sports. Did something happen or is it a browser issue?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are considered a strong candidate to trade down from #22 in the draft to add more second round picks. Of course, that could change if they find the right player available.

By Jake Fischer Senior reporter Fri, Jun 21, 2024, 8:01 AM MST·11 min read Yahoo Sports:

Further along the first round, NBA personnel also consider Phoenix a strong candidate to trade down from the No. 22 pick. The Suns are famously low on additional draft capital and future assets after splurging to acquire Kevin Durant and Bradley Beal. If Phoenix can find avenues to move down in the first round, while picking up additional second-round picks, the Suns could wisely find more future ammo to make trades down the line, while also adding several rookie salaries onto a very expensive roster, which would prove quite prudent considering Phoenix’s lofty payroll and incoming luxury tax bill.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I see Gambo said one of the guys I want is now off the Suns radar or unavailable to the Suns, Daron Holmes. :(

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tankathon has Zack Edey falling past us. Watching the tape of him. He is slow, but seems to have good hands and a really nice drop step and hook shot. He blocks shots just because of his size. He will not defend out to the three point line but he does set some pretty amazing picks. He is also a good and willing passer. He has a body that is proportionate to his size and seems sturdy, rather than the twig like guys you normally see at his height. If he drops to us, I don’t think I would pass on him. He is almost an automatic two points when you need offense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Gambo just said that Ryan Dunn is high on the Suns radar. Dog defensively. Guards 1-6. Really long arms. Great rebounder. Can't shoot the three but is decent as a cutter and at the rim—good fit for this team.

To put it in perspective, Mikal was 6-7 with a 7-1 wingspan. Dunn is 6-7.5 with a 7-1.5 wingspan. He is thicker than Bridges. Has a 39 inch vert. And he is fast. Seems to be a smart defender. He is a better rebounder than Mikal.

They maybe could trade down and get this guy. Projected early in round two by Tankathon.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns couldn't buy a second round draft pick even if they wanted too.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tankathon has Zack Edey falling past us. Watching the tape of him. He is slow, but seems to have good hands and a really nice drop step and hook shot. He blocks shots just because of his size. He will not defend out to the three point line but he does set some pretty amazing picks. He is also a good and willing passer. He has a body that is proportionate to his size and seems sturdy, rather than the twig like guys you normally see at his height. If he drops to us, I don’t think I would pass on him. He is almost an automatic two points when you need offense.

I believe in drafting the BPA, but if this happens to be a center or point guard, the Suns better take a close look.

I'm getting vibes the Suns might trade down in the draft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So Gambo just said that Ryan Dunn is high on the Suns radar. Dog defensively. Guards 1-6. Really long arms. Great rebounder. Can't shoot the three but is decent as a cutter and at the rim—good fit for this team.

To put it in perspective, Mikal was 6-7 with a 7-1 wingspan. Dunn is 6-7.5 with a 7-1.5 wingspan. He is thicker than Bridges. Has a 39 inch vert. And he is fast. Seems to be a smart defender. He is a better rebounder than Mikal.

They maybe could trade down and get this guy. Projected early in round two by Tankathon.
I don't see how any kid who doesn't have a 3-point shot is a good fit on a team coached by Bud.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see how any kid who doesn't have a 3-point shot is a good fit on a team coached by Bud.
FWIW someone was saying his shooting in workouts has been much better. Might be that he just didn't shoot that many in college, so his stats were low. If that is the only problem, I like the guy. The thing that has me concerned is his fT shooting. And, of course, if he was a good shooter, we wouldn't be talking about him with the Suns pick anyway.

Anthony Edwards was a worse shooter coming into the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Gambadora reports the Suns have had trade talks about a trade down with the Jazz for picks #29 and #32.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

He sounds too much like Josh Okogie to me. And I don't think we really need another Josh Okogie when we can't really even play the one we currently have in most situations.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
He sounds too much like Josh Okogie to me. And I don't think we really need another Josh Okogie when we can't really even play the one we currently have in most situations.
That extra height does make a big difference. He looks more like a Derrick Jones Jr type:

His 3pt shot mechanically looks ok, but he's a pretty terrible shooter overall, averaging just 52.5% on Free throws and 23.5% on 3pters. Looking at the various draft boards, he's a huge reach at 22, but if Phoenix does indeed trade with Utah for 29 & 32 I think it's a worthy pick at one of those.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is super close with Ainge. Probably his best source. If Gambo says they are talking then they are 100% talking.

It's an intriguing idea. I've been thinking the Suns should try to move down in the draft for a while if they can add more assets.

There should be a couple of good prospects at those spots.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is bigger than Okogie. He is also a very good scorer around the rim. He can guard five positions.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This draft is interesting. To me there are some really marginal international players at the top and some intriguing prospects at the end of the first and in the second round.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is super close with Ainge. Probably his best source. If Gambo says they are talking then they are 100% talking.
Yep. They have been good friends for years. Whenever there is a league wide rumor that is who he is getting info from.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the draft is tomorrow. Seems not a lot of national attention. I guess there are no superstars in this one?

The national attention to the NBA Draft seems lower this season, or perhaps it's because I haven't studied it as much as in past years.

I used to really enjoy the draft, but James Jones has nearly broken me of this habit with his focus on veteran players.

Hopefully, the Suns will come to realize the importance of developing young talent.