49ers trade for McCaffrey

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Two things: 1) no matter what, the Niners aren't winning the SB as Shanahan loses his mind in big games (SB v. KC, last year's NFC Championship game, SB v. NE as ATL's OC), typically goes pass-wacky, and abandons the run and 2) there's only one ball: so although they also have Samuel and Kittle to go along with CMC, there's only so much you can do (although Shanahan does design many excellent plays). Actually, there's one more reason they'll fail to win it all: Jimmy G. Dude's very average and good for 2-3 completely inexplicable, head-scratching throws each game.

On the other hand and despite his health issues, CMC will absolutely destroy us.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Adding a new player to the team, even one with CMC's quality can throw off the balance of their offense. The offense playcalling may not fully incorporate him in. Will he take the snaps Deebo was? Will that lessen Deebo's impact on the team? etc. They should adjust their offense to fit CMC in, and they Shanahan probably will. It isn't guaranteed though.
Yeah you’ll have to show me the last time adding a pro bowler in their prime rocked a team negatively like that due solely to play (and not personality like an AB).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding a new player to the team, even one with CMC's quality can throw off the balance of their offense. The offense playcalling may not fully incorporate him in. Will he take the snaps Deebo was? Will that lessen Deebo's impact on the team? etc. They should adjust their offense to fit CMC in, and they Shanahan probably will. It isn't guaranteed though.

They already did that though remember part of Deebos contract talks and holdout was he didn't want to be a RB. He either wanted EXTRA money because of the risk he was taking to his career, or he didn't want to be a RB. Last 6 games of last year Deebo had 40 carries, this year he has 21. In the playoffs 3 games, 27 carries. So they already cut his RB usage, this trade actually helps Deebo get what he wanted.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Difference is that Von isn’t/wasn’t made of glass. Plays a significantly more impactful position than CMC too.
Big meh on this. They need weapons with Jimmy as the QB and they got a big one. You can't predict injuries in this league other than they can happen to any player. Roll the dice.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The amount of people on this thread that feel like injuries can't happen to every player in the NFL is crazy. We gave up a first round pick for Brown coming off a playoff embarrassment...and he is injured. They see blood in the water in the NFL, after making the NFC Championship, and traded for the most dangerous RB in the NFL. and they have an elite running scheme.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big meh on this. They need weapons with Jimmy as the QB and they got a big one. You can't predict injuries in this league other than they can happen to any player. Roll the dice.
They don’t need weapons Chop, they need OL.

It’s just Trent Williams & the Pips.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don’t need weapons Chop, they need OL.

It’s just Trent Williams & the Pips.

So who's trading an elite OL for what they gave up to get CMC? I agree with you they need a better OL but you don't get that now in a trade so they decided to get a guy who can get his own yards.

This year alone he turned a dumpoff against the Rams into a 49 yard pass, a dumpoff against us into a 34 yard pass, broke a tackle and avoided 2 others on a 49 yard run against the Giants. Living where I do I'm getting inundated with highlights of teh guy today. Add in the schemes the 49ers run that quite often result in gaping holes for a RB. he's going to be a problem IMO

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think Jimmy is probably gonna make some mistake that costs the 49ers the game in the playoffs. :shrug:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So who's trading an elite OL for what they gave up to get CMC? I agree with you they need a better OL but you don't get that now in a trade so they decided to get a guy who can get his own yards.

This year alone he turned a dumpoff against the Rams into a 49 yard pass, a dumpoff against us into a 34 yard pass, broke a tackle and avoided 2 others on a 49 yard run against the Giants. Living where I do I'm getting inundated with highlights of teh guy today. Add in the schemes the 49ers run that quite often result in gaping holes for a RB. he's going to be a problem IMO
I was just countering his point about needing weapons. Their weapons are already really good. Nothing wrong with adding CMC, but OL is what will hold them back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This is very similar to my viewpoint. OL isn't available.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey I said we needed to trade for him. It is a big splash. But everyone here seemed no way. Now that he goes to the 49ers. Everyone is like wow. Lol that makes me
Laugh

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
They seem to be taking a cue from the Rams, turning draft picks into impact players. I don’t like the move for a great but fragile player. Assuming he stays healthy in the short term I’d say he makes the Niners the favorite for the division.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey I said we needed to trade for him. It is a big splash. But everyone here seemed no way. Now that he goes to the 49ers. Everyone is like wow. Lol that makes me
Laugh

Most of the 'wow' surrounds the ridiculous cost that evidently you were willing to pay. Laugh about that if it's your can.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Imagine if Keim had given up this much draft capital for him? I doubt anyone here would be very happy about it.

ALL my Niner lifelong diehard fans in the Bay Area are NOT happy with the buttload of pics the Niners gave up to bring him in.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Imagine if Keim had given up this much draft capital for him? I doubt anyone here would be very happy about it.

ALL my Niner lifelong diehard fans in the Bay Area are NOT happy with the buttload of pics the Niners gave up to bring him in.
Right, tacked on to the picks they gave up for Lance.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Cards aren’t better than the Niners this year so I don’t care about them making moves to win now. Down the road, when we have a new coach and Kyler (hopefully) gets his **** together we can look back on the Niners loss of draft capital coming back to haunt them. Same with LA which is already starting to happen.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crazy that they can cut him at no cost anytime they want. Perfect top end RB contract.

They can't really though can they. They just traded half next years draft for him.

The fact they can cut him for free doesn't really matter because they can't due to the cost. Realistically the earliest they can cut him without being destroyed for the trade is after the 2024 season.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Meh.. was RB their issue? The few games I saw it didn’t seem to be.