49ers trade for McCaffrey

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man the myopia on this board can sometimes be hilarious. All those bashing this trade must either be GMs or looking to the future bc the only reason to bash it are non-football reasons. They are getting a pro bowl talent without giving up talent. They have a talented but oft injured rb now. With two their odds of having one at all times goes up exponentially. The reason their run game is so successful is scheme creates contact much further down the field which should have a positive effect on cmc. For a team that sees an opportunity now this is nothing but a win.
Yea this is reminding me of "Von Miller is washed" takes from last year.

Panthers have been a disaster. Kyle is going to get creative with him.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
this is a "f them picks" trade trying to win a SB this year -- and worrying about 2023 when it comes around

McCaffery i think is a necessary piece for an offense run by Garrapolo: adds another explosive player that can take a 6 yard pass and turn it into 10+

I suspect if we compared Kylers air yards vs Garrapolo's-- they would be similar. The diff is Shanahans scheme allows the 6 yard pass to add on another 5 of RAC, whereas Kliffs are hitches that usually get tackled quickly.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Day 2, who the hell gives that many picks for an often injured RB?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Difference is that Von isn’t/wasn’t made of glass. Plays a significantly more impactful position than CMC too.
He just has to be healthy the rest of the year.

I dont think he's a great fit for Lance or long term. They just have to win it this year.

Not saying they will but they know the NFC is really down outside of Philly. And even they have issues.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man the myopia on this board can sometimes be hilarious. All those bashing this trade must either be GMs or looking to the future bc the only reason to bash it are non-football reasons. They are getting a pro bowl talent without giving up talent. They have a talented but oft injured rb now. With two their odds of having one at all times goes up exponentially. The reason their run game is so successful is scheme creates contact much further down the field which should have a positive effect on cmc. For a team that sees an opportunity now this is nothing but a win.
The injury history, the draft capital, and the contract are all reasons to not like this trade.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that still doesn’t make the niners worse today because they didn’t give up talent to get him. Future picks don’t impact the team this year.
Fair. If he isn't on the field, or if the offensive balance gets thrown off by CMC, it could make the offense worse.

If the 9ers think that they can win it all this year, and they do, it will be a great trade for them. If.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCaffery was on my Top 5 list of trade targets.

Deal could be best described as “draft pick city” and a tell that reveals the SF FO’s feeling that the odds of draft picks succeeding aren’t much better than that of UDFA’s.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Difference is that Von isn’t/wasn’t made of glass. Plays a significantly more impactful position than CMC too.

in general yes, on the 49ers offense no. Wilson is a very good player but if he were on the Cards none of us would be saying now we're set at RB he's just a pretty good player. CMC is special, he just can't stay healthy. I put up that stat earlier the only 2 RB's in the NFL seeing more 8 man lines are Chubb and Henry, teams aren't doing that because they think Wilson is as good as those 2 it's because they have no respect for Jimmy G.

There are very few RB's in the NFL that can do what he can. He'll likely eventually get injured but look at Mitchell, he's missed 10 games due to injury in his NFL career, he's only played in 12! If you look up his college stats he missed half his freshman season with injury and missed 3-4 games as a senior due to injury. Mitchell is good when healthy, CMC is elite when healthy. My guess is between those 2 and Wilson the odds of them having a healthy RB by playoff time went up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Elijah Mitchell career - 83.7 yards per game rushing, 11.4 yards per game receiving, 0.5 TDs a game - cost $915k per year

CMC career - 51.4 rushing yards per game, 51.5 receiving yards per game, 0.8 TDs a game - £12m per year

CMC certain more dual threat. But is that worst $11m a year more?

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My initial reaction to this was “what?” and still is. Sure they add an incredible weapon when healthy but considering all the other problems they have this isn’t going to get them to a championship.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elijah Mitchell career - 83.7 yards per game rushing, 11.4 yards per game receiving, 0.5 TDs a game - cost $915k per year

CMC career - 51.4 rushing yards per game, 51.5 receiving yards per game, 0.8 TDs a game - £12m per year

They don't play in the same offense for the same coach though. McCaffrey was a stud his first 3 years, has played only 16 games since then. Mitchell has been hurt each of his first 2 years. I suspect CMC will do more with his touches than Mitchell does, one of them will likely eventually get hurt again, maybe even both.

I should add. those stats are for 12 games for mitchell and 64 for CMC.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They don't play in the same offense for the same coach though. McCaffrey was a stud his first 3 years, has played only 16 games since then. Mitchell has been hurt each of his first 2 years. I suspect CMC will do more with his touches than Mitchell does, one of them will likely eventually get hurt again, maybe even both.

I should add. those stats are for 12 games for mitchell and 64 for CMC.

Is he going to do 12x more? Or even 1.5x?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he going to do 12x more? Or even 1.5x?

how much value does a Super Bowl bring to a franchise?

There's a very real feeling in the Bay area they are squandering a SB level defense because of the QB situation. They tried to resolve that with the draft but it hasn't yet panned out and now Lance is hurt. So this is plan B, get an elite RB. This is basically their version of Matthew Stafford

Not saying it's going to work but if he's healthy in the playoffs their odds of getting to the SB go up greatly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fair. If he isn't on the field, or if the offensive balance gets thrown off by CMC, it could make the offense worse.

If the 9ers think that they can win it all this year, and they do, it will be a great trade for them. If.
I don’t even know what this means. Sounds like you’re trying to come up with a legit reason why the trade could hurt them on the field but can’t. That phrase is just gobbledygook.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I keep hearing the Panthers say they won't trade Burns or Brown.

They don't really have that much choice. Burns is FA after next season and would you resign with the Panthers?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Last I saw they got to have both.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t even know what this means. Sounds like you’re trying to come up with a legit reason why the trade could hurt them on the field but can’t. That phrase is just gobbledygook.
Adding a new player to the team, even one with CMC's quality can throw off the balance of their offense. The offense playcalling may not fully incorporate him in. Will he take the snaps Deebo was? Will that lessen Deebo's impact on the team? etc. They should adjust their offense to fit CMC in, and they Shanahan probably will. It isn't guaranteed though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser