About Lampe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns.com

Lampe Looks to Light It Up in Suns’ Rookie/Free Camp

By Josh Greene, Suns.com
Posted: July 5, 2006
The first day of the Suns’ rookie/free agent camp Wednesday had the makings of 2004 all over again. Amaré Stoudemire was once again attacking the basket, guard Romain Sato was looking to showcase his skills for the front office like he did in pre-draft workouts two years ago and Maciej Lampe was once again sporting the purple and orange.

The youngest member of the camp, the 21-year-old Lampe is looking to rejoin a team that saw his services in a combined 37 games over two seasons. Originally coming to Phoenix as part of the blockbuster deal that sent Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway to New York in early 2004, the 6-11 big man averaged 3.8 ppg and 2.1 rpg for the Suns before departing for New Orleans with Casey Jacobsen and Jackson Vroman in exchange for Jim Jackson and a future draft pick a year ago January.

“I’m trying to make the team,” said Lampe about his latest NBA goal. “I got traded from here, but I always loved playing for the Suns and playing for Coach D’Antoni, and I would love to play for them again.

“Today was the first day with guys struggling with plays, but everybody worked hard. We’re coming together great as a summer league team. The chosen guys have been great, not only for Amaré’s rehab but for everyone’s individual skills and fundamentals. I’m just happy to be here and to work with these guys.”

The NBA’s first Polish-born player to be drafted in the NBA (2003, 30th overall), Lampe declined an invitation to join his National Team in lieu of working out five-on-five locally at a youth gymnasium in Gilbert this summer. While his workout partners haven’t been Valley youngsters, they do have a local connection. Arizona State products like Ike Diogu and Tommy Smith have been stopping by, as have some overseas players to work out.

Lampe believes the extra summer work he’s been putting in after disappointing showings with the Hornets and Rockets last season will help keep him healthy and productive. Missing time with a string of foot problems in 2005-06, the forward/center plans on dropping another five pounds to hit his 250-lb. target weight as he works his way to what he hopes will be another contract with the Suns.

“I’ve been working really hard on my physical skills,” Lampe said. “I’ve gotten faster, and I’ve gotten stronger. Hopefully they see that. My jumper’s still there. Hopefully I get even better here in the Summer League and they see that and they sign me. Knowing the coaches and all the plays here is one thing, but I still have to go out there and play hard to prove I belong here.”

mribnik

Reaction score
I could definitely tell he lost weight in the video I saw. Hopefully that'll help him with our style a bit. His jumper looked great of course.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
damn he is still only 21? He has all the tools. Maybe he is old enought to start to make an impact in the NBA...

I would mind him for a minimum.

BigBuddy

Reaction score
Yes, he's still 21. He was only 18 when he came to the League from overseas and i believe he was simply killed by the expectations (projected Top 5, at worst Top 10 pick, Nowitzki comparisons etc).
He's got skills, but it all depends on whether he grew up mentally.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Naw, his big problem is that jump shot. If he didn't have it he'd have to learn to play inside where he could use that big muscular body. If I were the coach I'd tell him that for every five rebounds, blocks, steals, assists and FTs combined he was allowed to miss 1 jump shot. Scrimmages and games. A 'diet' to help him lose the fat between his ears.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A much better prospect than Skita, as he said, stating the obvious. :)

Really due to his youth, he is a player that probably should be kept on the roster for development. I'd rather have him than Burke if it came to a choice.

In regard to his outside shot, I can't help but think of Bill Lambeer (sp). Now if the Suns could teach him to play that way, opposing team would hate us.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Lampe always had the ability, he was just so raw when he came to Phoenix originally. (I believe that he was actually 17, which is insane.) The only thing that he displayed in his brief stint here was the ability to nail the outside shot, which D'antoni obviously loves.

If he could ever get it totally together he could be a force. He has the tools, but does he have the drive?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need fillers on our team. Might as well be him.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Lampe always had the ability, he was just so raw when he came to Phoenix originally. (I believe that he was actually 17, which is insane.) The only thing that he displayed in his brief stint here was the ability to nail the outside shot, which D'antoni obviously loves.

If he could ever get it totally together he could be a force. He has the tools, but does he have the drive?

I think he has the drive to succeed

Like many europeans in all different sports, his biggest problem was adjusting to living in a totally different country and also still having to develope his basketball skills without losing focus with all the money and fame thrown at you at such a young age.(Remember he was drafted by New York with high expectations, and thats a hard place to play)

We saw Highschool Teenagers in the NBA have problems dealing with it, and its even harder for 18yo from europe.

His skill set is perfect for this team, and as he matures he has the ability to be a starter for someone in the NBA.

Teams are just giving up on him to quickly.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
I think he has the drive to succeed

Like many europeans in all different sports, his biggest problem was adjusting to living in a totally different country and also still having to develope his basketball skills without losing focus with all the money and fame thrown at you at such a young age.(Remember he was drafted by New York with high expectations, and thats a hard place to play)

We saw Highschool Teenagers in the NBA have problems dealing with it, and its even harder for 18yo from europe.

His skill set is perfect for this team, and as he matures he has the ability to be a starter for someone in the NBA.

Teams are just giving up on him to quickly.

Agreed. And on a side note, he is far and away a better prospect than Skita ever was.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Bring back Lampe!

...I'm sure Pat Burke can teach him a few things...

_Ra

Reaction score
Burke is a bad man who knows how to pop that Phoenix Suns jersey.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Burke screwed up his big chance last year... if he gets lucky and into shape, D'A may give him another one. I'm not holding my breath tho...

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had not heard about Lampe's injury problem last season, but it explains why he did no little on such terrible teams.

The one aspect of Lampe's game that has not been mentioned is that he used to be an SF. When he first came to the Suns, everyone was raving about his ball handling including making behind the back passes in practice.

I don't know if Lampe can tap into his potential, but I have no doubt the Suns are the only team he could really star on. No other team WANTS their centers to shoot three pointers nor asks them to become ball handlers.

After watching the value of having a center who can shoot threes in TT, perhaps Lampe can see himself filling that role. It's not like that role involved much defense or rebounding. :bang:

Errntknght

Reaction score
After watching the value of having a center who can shoot threes in TT, perhaps Lampe can see himself filling that role. It's not like that role involved much defense or rebounding.

Now George, TT's value was a combination of things: 1. he could knock down 3's, 2. he could drive from 3pt line if a slow player was guarding him, 3. he could post up smaller players, 4. he could do a respectable job of guarding a F/C down low.

Strangely enough I recall Lampe doing a decent job of defending Elton Brand for a couple of minutes when he was with the Suns. The coach always put him on SFs but he got switched onto Brand somehow about three plays in a row.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
After watching the value of having a center who can shoot threes in TT, perhaps Lampe can see himself filling that role. It's not like that role involved much defense or rebounding.

Now George, TT's value was a combination of things: 1. he could knock down 3's, 2. he could drive from 3pt line if a slow player was guarding him, 3. he could post up smaller players, 4. he could do a respectable job of guarding a F/C down low.

Strangely enough I recall Lampe doing a decent job of defending Elton Brand for a couple of minutes when he was with the Suns. The coach always put him on SFs but he got switched onto Brand somehow about three plays in a row.

TT could drive and post up, but that's not why he got so much money.

My feeling is that Lampe's conditioning will tell the tale. His skills are negated if he can't move. IMHO there was no one if the draft his potential, but the trick is to get him to realize some of it.

Errntknght

Reaction score
TT could drive and post up, but that's not why he got so much money.

I agree that hitting the 3pt shots is the monetary key but if he couldn't post smaller guys then it would possible to have a shorter and more mobile player defend him - someone who could bother his 3pt shot and deny him the ball. If he couldn't drive past slow, big defenders they could play up on him and prevent him from shooting threes. Sheesh, George, its embarrassing to have to spell this all out for someone who's been posting here for what, now, three years?

Lampe seems agree with you about Lampe, he said his primary focus this summer has been on conditioning and strength. Personally, I think he needs to learn how to play close to the hoop to get full value from his size - conditioning and strength will help, of course, but isn't the whole story. Burke would do well to follow a similar course - pound for pound he is the worst rebounder I've seen in the NBA.