Amare on the block.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking back to that season, one can only wonder what would have been had DA actually used Kurt in regular season and the the first series, instead of freezing him on the bench all season long until the second game vs. Spurs.:mad:

He didn't get "frozen" on the bench until he got injured. D'Antoni's mistake wasn't that he wasn't using Kurt all season, it was that he didn't use him in game 1 against SA.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
D'Antoni's mistake wasn't that he wasn't using Kurt all season, it was that he didn't use him in game 1 against SA.

More specifically, it was that D'Antoni had so little interest in defense that he didn't even recognize what the Suns needed in order to play it reasonably well.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
If we can get durant or bosh in any of these deals I had would be happy as a pig in slop. Hell, just to get bosh I would easily swap amare + shaq for jermaine and bosh. Just to get bosh...

I would also give up Amare + barbosa for durant or bosh + whatever at this point.

Just give us a serious piece to build around. I am not sure about draft picks and servicable bigs since our drafting has been terrible.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Except Amare has underachieved in the 2 most important aspects of being a PF. Defense and rebounding. Shaq is doing his job.

One big difference is that in Backcourt 2000 our incumbent continued to perform while Penny never lived up to his end. In this case, the other incumbent PF in Amare is getting outplayed by Shaq.

PS. The one part of this article that I hope is BS is Steve Nash not being on the block. Steve Nash is 8th worst defensive PG in the NBA, #2 in total turnovers and #1 in turnovers at the Guard position.

I am sorry but no matter what you do to this team, you can't have your starting PG leading the league in Turnovers and being one of the worst in defense. You cannot build a better defensive team around that.
Yeah that , Steve can't help this team get better defensively and his offensive talents are being wasted here......please just flush out the remaining cogs of the DA/Nash era and move on already.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I love how I am ignored...

What is up with keeping Nash if you are willing to blow up the team? No knock on Nash, but the guy is 35 in 2 days and MIGHT play 4 years after his current contract expires...but he certainly isn't the future, he is too old....so if you blow up the team, who the hell are you going to get for Nash x amount of years done the road?

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they are holding onto nash and talking extension is that it is all spin, spin to keep him playing well, and then since they have a team option having that abililty to dump 13 million of his salary if they don't get any useful offers.

Remember, this is SARVER we are talkinig about. The person who was willing to flat out sell almost impossible to replace pieces (james jones, kurt thomas) and tons of draft picks while taking absolutely nothing back just to keep us from paying the luxury tax.

Last edited:

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Yeah that , Steve can't help this team get better defensively and his offensive talents are being wasted here......please just flush out the remaining cogs of the DA/Nash era and move on already.

Steve is the best shooter and the floor bar none (but will seldom take over a game.) But his turnovers and defensive liabilities really make Steve a mid-tier asset at best. He is also still upset about losing Raja and Boris.

Did you notice when we played the Knicks for the first time this year. Nash whispered something in Dantoni's ear and they both smirked and laughed. I don't think he's happy and that's just me.

I agree with you. I think they need to flush the old guard meaning nash and amare. At least trade nash for somebody who can play sound d and minimal turnover. Do this while Steve is still serviceable.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we can get durant or bosh in any of these deals I had would be happy as a pig in slop. Hell, just to get bosh I would easily swap amare + shaq for jermaine and bosh. Just to get bosh...

I would also give up Amare + barbosa for durant or bosh + whatever at this point.

Just give us a serious piece to build around. I am not sure about draft picks and servicable bigs since our drafting has been terrible.

And why would you want to give up Amare for a player very similiar but worse in Bosh and also throw in our probably 2nd most valueable trade asset in Barbosa?

I swear some people don't watch other NBA teams. You are crying about Amare because he is playing inconsistent for the first time in his career on this abmysal team but then you turn around and demand other players like Bosh who are playing like that all the time.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
How is Bosh worse? He plays better defense and rebounds better. He carries Toronto on the offense, and here he could (and would!) focus more on defense than we could ever get out of Amare. His post game is years ahead of Amare and he can hit the 17footer almost as good.

Tell me who you think we could get that is better than Bosh at the 4?!?

And if its Amare/Barbs (which I would regret) and we got Bosh/Parker, we would have a 6th man that can play the point much better and has significantly more BBall IQ.

Amare/Barbs/Dudley/Charlotte 2010 2nd for Bosh/Parker/09 1st (currently #4 in draft, and we get Hasheem Thabeet)

FTW

edit: opps 8th in draft, was looking at games behind not win %

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
The person in that thread who suggested Hill, Barnes and Stat for Howard and Raef in a three team deal should be drug out in a dark alley and kicked in the balls... Repeatedly.

Also, although a deal involving Phoenix getting Chris Bosh back may be one I'd be in favor of, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one happening.

Durant, see above, minus the part of me being in favor of it.

Also, looking back at the Westbrook/Wilcox/1st for Amare may not be so bad, if the pick is unprotected. The Thunder suck, and getting a top 10 pick might not be too bad. I'm not nuts about it, but then again, I'm one who is heavily against trading Amare to begin with.

Last edited:

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't understand why we are not taking offers for Nash. If anything, he should be the first one to be canned (besides Porter).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And why would you want to give up Amare for a player very similiar but worse in Bosh and also throw in our probably 2nd most valueable trade asset in Barbosa?

I swear some people don't watch other NBA teams. You are crying about Amare because he is playing inconsistent for the first time in his career on this abmysal team but then you turn around and demand other players like Bosh who are playing like that all the time.

If you do it, it's to only get slighlty better in rebounding. Because everything else is about equal or worse from Bosch. He is not a good defender either if you look at how many points given up at the PF position in Toronto.

OP
OP
carey

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
YOU ALL ARE JUST SPOILED

Yes. How dare we expect consistent effort from our 15 million dollar franchise forward. I don't think a single one of us would trade him if he were out there defending, grabbing boards, and hustling instead of worrying about the box score and basically only playing when he has the ball in his hands.

Wonder

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. How dare we expect consistent effort from our 15 million dollar franchise forward. I don't think a single one of us would trade him if he were out there defending, grabbing boards, and hustling instead of worrying about the box score and basically only playing when he has the ball in his hands.

Good point. Too bad there's about 100 other factors and points in the mix.

CARRY on.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few personal opinion.

Fans may yell blow-out and rebuild, but for Sarver and Kerr, they'll still try to save this season, it is their job. So :

Hold on to Nash. Because change the team leader and floor general mid-season is hugely risky.

Trade for role players. This team has already got too many stars, more than enough fire power even minus Amare. Young player with high potential and/or high draft pick must be included in the deal, but quality role player who can make immediate impact is not any less important.

Be very careful if there is a star on table. We should prefer role players, but if there is Bosh or Dirk on table, we can't just say no. Make sure this guy wants to win more than anything, and will change himself for the team. We had enough big ego.

A few other thoughts.

Remember the undrafted Haslem helped Shaq and Wade to win in 2006? It is easy to find a PF to fit Shaq. A, Got to be fully committed in defence, not necessarily a skilled/talent defender. B, always fight hard for rebounds. C, Make open mid-range jumpers consistently. I know a number of PFs in that range.

A defensive PG is wanted and Barbosa is expendable. It's proven LB can't help to cut down Nash's minutes, and we want more defence. I prefer to keep LB as our 6th man, but we'll have see how a deal unfold.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Just a few personal opinion.

Fans may yell blow-out and rebuild, but for Sarver and Kerr, they'll still try to save this season, it is their job. So :

Hold on to Nash. Because change the team leader and floor general mid-season is hugely risky.

Trade for role players. This team has already got too many stars, more than enough fire power even minus Amare. Young player with high potential and/or high draft pick must be included in the deal, but quality role player who can make immediate impact is not any less important.

Be very careful if there is a star on table. We should prefer role players, but if there is Bosh or Dirk on table, we can't just say no. Make sure this guy wants to win more than anything, and will change himself for the team. We had enough big ego.

A few other thoughts.

Remember the undrafted Haslem helped Shaq and Wade to win in 2006? It is easy to find a PF to fit Shaq. A, Got to be fully committed in defence, not necessarily a skilled/talent defender. B, always fight hard for rebounds. C, Make open mid-range jumpers consistently. I know a number of PFs in that range.

A defensive PG is wanted and Barbosa is expendable. It's proven LB can't help to cut down Nash's minutes, and we want more defence. I prefer to keep LB as our 6th man, but we'll have see how a deal unfold.

Good post - I agree with your points, although I would hate to see Barbs go. I think he is only going to get better (esp as a defender) over the next few years.

Wonder

Registered
Reaction score
You're missing the point. The unique set of circumstances that turned Stoudemire into an All-NBA player -- specifically, a run-and-gun coach who didn't care about defense or rebounding plus an MVP point guard -- are gone. Stoudemire will never be that player again, because he'll never be in that situation again.

In 2010, he'll be 28 with two bad knees, still won't defend, still won't rebound, still won't have led a team far into the playoffs, and will be making $20 million a year. The "stupidity" you refer to is believing that you can rebuild around such a player.

how do you know that? I mean how do you know all of that will happen?

So you would want to keep nash and shaq over amare until their contracts expire, and/or then you would want nash and shaq over amare after 2010?

Porter, Nash, Shaq before Amare. Stupidity is Nashaholics.

JJ COUGH.

Wonder

Registered
Reaction score
Do we want to suffer with a 34/36 year old, or do we want to suffer with a 26 year old and young players around him?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, that is what you have wanted all along to flush out the D'Antoni era. You push pie in the sky and do not look at reality. Nash will be needed to transition the Suns into a new era (if he dare wants to). I guess Grant Hill goes too as does Shaq and LB per your formula. The Suns don't even have a backup PG for Nash now yet alone a starter to take his place.

I miss the D'Antoni era as should anyone who looks at what he accomplished with the Suns. If Kerr does not pull a rabbit out of the hat trading Amare, the Suns will probably be looking forward to many years of rebuilding.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Among all, 2 deals I think might be the best.

Amare (15) + Barbosa (6) = 21M

Bosh(14.5) + Anthony Parker(4.5) = 19M

or

Durant(4) or Green(3) + Wilcox(6) + Watson(6) + Joe Smith(4) = 20M
(I don't think OKC r willing to lose Durant. Let's take Jeff Green plus a first round pick instead.)

Either way, there is hope we can click after all-star and return to elite in west.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What the Suns supposedly want IS just like the Nance trade all over again. For Nance the Suns got a couple of role playing bigs, a #1 that turned out to be Majerlie and KJ.

If the Suns could get anything close to that for Amare I'd be very happy.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Getting Bosh doesn't fix anything. He's hardly better defensively than amare, and would demand as many shots. He would probably complain about his role and lack of offense next to shaq as well.

OKC won't trade Durant or Green. Those two and westbrook are the future of their franchise for crying out loud.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the Suns supposedly want IS just like the Nance trade all over again. For Nance the Suns got a couple of role playing bigs, a #1 that turned out to be Majerlie and KJ.

If the Suns could get anything close to that for Amare I'd be very happy.

I agree. Comparing the Nance trade to Cleveland or the Garnett trade to the Celtics is the best case scenario.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Trade with Toronto.... Kerr for Colangelo.

Get 'er done Kerr.

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Nash will be needed to transition the Suns into a new era (if he dare wants to).

A new era? Of turnovers, leaving your man wide open? In my opinion he's the liability. Amare could stay if he stops getting Tee'd up and stops charging every other play.