Antrel Rolle

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't do that in one off season. Pick 30 guys you want.....who would they be??

The entire coaching staff will be turned over. You think any head coach would come in and want the guys currently here? He'll bring in his own guys.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The entire coaching staff will be turned over. You think any head coach would come in and want the guys currently here? He'll bring in his own guys.

I thought you were talking about the roster. Pendergast has an outside chance to stay.

And everybody's favorite, Frank Bush. Never understood why we just HAD to keep this guy.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most will be turned over, but some will be retianed.

The NFL coaching fraternity isn't a big one. Most of these guys know each other, or at least, know OF each other. Just because these guys are "Denny guys" right now, doesn't mean some of them won't be "Rivera guys" next year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point was that I don't think Rowen was a bad OC, he was fired because someone's head needed to roll.

I thought he was a bad OC, but instead of firing him Denny should have taken over playcalling duties, instead of putting Coach K in charge of the offense.

But when it comes down to it, if Rowen was calling all the plays from the start of the 49er game to the end of the Chicago game, then he was a very poor, far too conservative, OC.

I see your point Pariah, but I don't think any of these guys should slide just because Denny is terrible. Someone should succeed despite him, but they don't. Pendergast is the closest to succeeding, and he is partly responsible for defensive woes...his placement of players and such is terrible...he doesn't have the defense playing consistently and I am now of the opinion that the good defensive games are more on the players coming up big than on Pendy outcoaching anyone.

The coaching staff as a whole is bad...Coach K is the only one I'd think about retaining because of his relationship with Matt...which even now isn't good because he's the OC and has less time to just focus on Hollywood.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I. Pendergast is the closest to succeeding, and he is partly responsible for defensive woes...his placement of players and such is terrible...he doesn't have the defense playing consistently and I am now of the opinion that the good defensive games are more on the players coming up big than on Pendy outcoaching anyone.

Care to debate this closer?? I think he has our LBs lined up correctly a lot. Dansby and Huff over purse everything. Hayes is decent at staying home.

If I were an opposing OC, I'd run counters all day long. Our LBs are undisciplined. That falls on Bush, not Pendy.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Care to debate this closer?? I think he has our LBs lined up correctly a lot. Dansby and Huff over purse everything. Hayes is decent at staying home.

If I were an opposing OC, I'd run counters all day long. Our LBs are undisciplined. That falls on Bush, not Pendy.

Our CBs should not give huge cushions, especially when we send linebackers up the middle. The middle of the field is WIDE open.

We don't blitz in key situations where blitzes would be opportunistic. Bringing pressure this season has been incredibly inconsistent.

Worst of all, we keep these enormous cushions on 3rd and 4 type distances, and they get converted with short passes. It is maniacal.

Pendy has some good schemes from time to time, but the defense is incredibly inconsistent.

Individual player performances always fall on the skill coach for that player. Overall defensive problems (inconsistency) or placement of players in the scheme (cushions or bust) are the realm of the DC.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our CBs play off the ball because all of them lack any sort of technique. They can't cover a receiver closely cuz they have stiff hips and bite on every move out there.

We can't play Bump N Run, cuz even with Berry in there, we got little pressure.

We can't blitz, because our Safeties don't play a good deep ball.

You are asking Pendy to make the Venus di Milo out of Mashed Potatoes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he was great....and is entirely replaceable. But not by Kruczek!! I agree about the scape goating.

Yeah he wasn't great but consider, with Rowen this year, we led the entire NFL in first quarter scoring. Since demoting Rowen, we've scored a grand total of 7 points in the first quarter, JJ's KO return on Sunday.

So either it's a massive coincidence, or the guy who was doing the scripted plays gameplanning was Rowen.

Some of that is defensive related, one of the reasons we'd scored so much in the first quarter was turnovers by SF and Chi against us, but to from first to dead last right after demoting Rowen does seem to be awfully compelling.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our CBs play off the ball because all of them lack any sort of technique. They can't cover a receiver closely cuz they have stiff hips and bite on every move out there.

Didn't Homer Simpson do that in an episode of the Simpsons?

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didn't Homer Simpson do that in an episode of the Simpsons?

A lot of stuff done in the Simpsons is spoofed from classic movies, literature or TV shows.

Mashed potato sculptures are from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Did you watch Pope in college? He was an absolute beast.

I watched a couple of Georgia games when they were on in HD. He was a beast, but he was playing against guys much smaller. He stood out like a sore thumb in college because of his height. Now, he's no longer the tall guy.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Explain 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 4.

Neither can Pendy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You can't do that in one off season. Pick 30 guys you want.....who would they be??

What an intriguing question. I'm not counting free agents here. Let me think about that for a moment...

Untouchables--Franchise Players
1. Matt Leinart
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Anquan Boldin
4. Adrian Wilson
5. Karlos Dansby
6. Edgerrin James

Aside: You know, I think that this list is pretty good. You'd be hard pressed to find teams with more than 7 players that would be absolutely untouchable.

Job Security
7. Gerald Hayes
8. Darnell Dockett
9. Deuce Lutui
10. Reggie Wells
11. Antrel Rolle
12. Eric Green
13. Leonard Pope
14. Bertrand Berry
15. Milford Brown
16. Nick Leckey
17. Aaron Francisco
18. Antonio Smith
19. Bryant Johnson
20. Kurt Warner
21. J.J. Arrington
22. Gabe Watson
23. Kendrick Clancy
This is where the problem is. I bet there are 25-30 guys on the Pats' roster where you look and you know that those guys can play if called on. The fact that the Cards have only 15 players who you know can play or are developmental players that you can't give up on yet is extremely problematic for the next coaching staff.

Bubble Boys
22. Daryl Blackstock
23. Brandon Johnson
24. LeRon McCoy
25. Marcel Shipp
26. Oliver Ross
27. Troy Walters
28. Jonathan Lewis
29. Calvin Pace
30. Nathan Hodel

There are a handful of guys that I expect to absolutely positively not make the next team. Guys like Elton Brown are only around to save Denny Green the embarassment of cutting. Adam Bergen's probably gone because developmental UFA tight ends are a dime a dozen. Rolando Cantu has no place on any roster ever. Probably most of the practice squad is out.

Bickley's right that the cupboard isn't bare. There were a lot of guys (like Rackers, Okeafor, and Stepanovich) that I think are NFL material and could survive a new coaching staff. If a new group (including general manager) are brought in, they're not going to have to restock the way this team had to do after Mac was finally dismissed. And that's a good thing, too, since this might be the thinnest FA class in NFL history.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
100 conversions of third and short, usually with a short pass to the sideline with the corner 5 yards away from the play.

In a Cover-2 (which we definately should be playing more of) a LB would cover that area up a decent amount of the time. I will have to look to see how much Cover-2 we play next game because I think this team will eventually be making that move to a full Cover-2 defense.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Rolle is looking more and more like a bust every game. 2 big penalties, a couple of drops, blown coverage and not credited with a single pass defensed.

Maybe he'd be an OK #2 CB, at this point I am not sure. Maybe a move to free safety is the right idea? Not sure there either. How disappointing--he hasn't exactly inspired confidence.

Boyd Cardinal

Reaction score
In a Cover-2 (which we definately should be playing more of) a LB would cover that area up a decent amount of the time. I will have to look to see how much Cover-2 we play next game because I think this team will eventually be making that move to a full Cover-2 defense.

If we go to a true Cover 2 we better get some people who can plug running lanes. With only seven in the box, with our players, team will run on us at will. Tony Dungy's teams in Indy always rank in the bottom half in run defense, and even in Chicago(who in my opinion have the best front seven in football) they have at times struggled stopping the run. Minnesota had over 180 yds. rushing against them today.

A base Cover Two scheme would help Rolle because he could be physical and make plays in the flat. The downside however, is that our best play maker (wilson) would be consistently 15 yds off the LOS. Dansby would be in coverage all the time and we would generate zero pass rush. I also question if Hayes has the ability to read pass and sprint twenty yards down the middle of the field as a Run thru player. Urlacher can, but I have serious reservations about Hayes. A base Cover 2 is great is you have studs on the Dl that can stop the run and generate a pass rush with no blitz. IMHO we don' t have those type of players.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yep, it wouldn't be a Cardinals game without Rolle getting at least 2 PI calls, plus a dropped pick in the endzone.

:hammer:

Tim

Reaction score
Why is Rolle on the "hands" team for kickoff return? He has dropped so many interceptions this year!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am way down n Rolle as a CB, but I dont think he is a bust, I thik he is a Saftey & punt returner.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am way down n Rolle as a CB, but I dont think he is a bust, I thik he is a Saftey & punt returner.

Punt returner?

He can't even get his mitts on a gently falling tipped ball, I wonder how many muffs/fumbles he had at Miami?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
If we go to a true Cover 2 we better get some people who can plug running lanes. With only seven in the box, with our players, team will run on us at will. Tony Dungy's teams in Indy always rank in the bottom half in run defense, and even in Chicago(who in my opinion have the best front seven in football) they have at times struggled stopping the run. Minnesota had over 180 yds. rushing against them today.

A base Cover Two scheme would help Rolle because he could be physical and make plays in the flat. The downside however, is that our best play maker (wilson) would be consistently 15 yds off the LOS. Dansby would be in coverage all the time and we would generate zero pass rush. I also question if Hayes has the ability to read pass and sprint twenty yards down the middle of the field as a Run thru player. Urlacher can, but I have serious reservations about Hayes. A base Cover 2 is great is you have studs on the Dl that can stop the run and generate a pass rush with no blitz. IMHO we don' t have those type of players.

Why is Dansby in coverage a problem, he is a very good coverage LB. Also, Hayes has surprised me with his range in his zones. I mention the Cover-2 because it would really help players like Dockett and Rolle who are guys that are going to be on this team for a long time. If we has a WSOLB like Briggs then a Cover-2 would be a good transition.