Anyone watching Jeremy Lin?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is that the literal version of "literally" or the figurative version of "literally". I want to move to a world where literally literally means literally, figuratively speaking of course. BTW, caramel is bad for your teeth and Melo is bad for your sanity but I'd make the trade too. Somebody, somewhere would probably give us something for him someday.

Steve

lol, I dated an English lit major for a while in college and she "LITERALLY" wanted to shoot people who used "literally" figuratively.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, I dated an English lit major for a while in college and she "LITERALLY" wanted to shoot people who used "literally" figuratively.

Yeah, fortunately I'm not quite that anal. I was just having a little fun with it. Not that I'm suggesting your former girlfriend was anal.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Melo to the Suns would mean everyone currently on the team become extremely useless... as these guys are use to being part of the offensive scheme... with Melo they become watchers :)

What scheme is that? The only scheme I see is Sarvar scheming poor Suns fans to give him money.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

It's not using it "figuratively"; it's simply using it incorrectly. It would be like if I said 2+2=5; and you said no, it's 4; and I said oh, well I'm meaning the 5 figuratively. Wrong is just wrong.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not using it "figuratively"; it's simply using it incorrectly. It would be like if I said 2+2=5; and you said no, it's 4; and I said oh, well I'm meaning the 5 figuratively. Wrong is just wrong.

It's being used more and more as a means of showing emphasis. I think it's still considered substandard but if so, it won't be for much longer.

Steve

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's being used more and more as a means of showing emphasis. I think it's still considered substandard but if so, it won't be for much longer.

Steve

In such cases "literally" isn't used incorrectly, but rather unnecessarily. For example, "the Suns literally beat the Mavericks." As if there were so figurative manner in which this could be accomplished.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He's probably referring to situations when people use literally when they mean figuratively like "Steve Nash is literally a bad ass." Which is, of course, incorrect usage.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's probably referring to situations when people use literally when they mean figuratively like "Steve Nash is literally a bad ass." Which is, of course, incorrect usage.

No, there is a usage of literally that over the years has grown in popularity. I'm not sure if it's fully accepted yet but as English is a living language, I'm pretty sure it will happen eventually. It's being used in situations where it's clear you are talking about something figuratively but you want to apply emphasis to it. For example, "it's literally raining cats and dogs". There was a time you'd be placed in the corner with a dunce hat on for such usage but it has become reasonably common in life and literature over the last century or so.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
In such cases "literally" isn't used incorrectly, but rather unnecessarily. For example, "the Suns literally beat the Mavericks." As if there were so figurative manner in which this could be accomplished.

I would interpret the Suns 'literally beating' the Mavs to mean they pummeled them with fists and/or sticks, instead of besting them in a game.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would interpret the Suns 'literally beating' the Mavs to mean they pummeled them with fists and/or sticks, instead of besting them in a game.

ahh good point, that was a bad example. How about "I am literally typing right now."

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, there is a usage of literally that over the years has grown in popularity. I'm not sure if it's fully accepted yet but as English is a living language, I'm pretty sure it will happen eventually. It's being used in situations where it's clear you are talking about something figuratively but you want to apply emphasis to it. For example, "it's literally raining cats and dogs". There was a time you'd be placed in the corner with a dunce hat on for such usage but it has become reasonably common in life and literature over the last century or so.

Steve

We're saying the same thing.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The misuse of "literally" will, if it becomes accepted by the educated, lead to the death of the word. If a word can have two meanings which directly contradict each other, it might as well have no meaning at all. There is no point in keeping the word "literally" around if half of the time it means "literally" and half the time it means precisely the opposite.

It is already the case that if one really does mean "literally," it's almost impossible to get the point across, because most people will assume that you mean the opposite. I remember way back when I was in graduate school and got my first stipend check, and due to an accounting error, almost my entire check of $3500 was withheld for taxes, and I got only $300-something.

I told one of my friends, "More than 90% of my check was withheld for taxes."
She said, "I know, it's amazing how much they take out, it happens to me too."
"No, I mean it was literally more than 90%."
"Same for me. Mine was supposed to be a couple thousand and they took out like three hundred."
"No, you don't understand, I mean literally more than 90%."

It was hopeless. And it has only gotten worse.

Obligatory Suns: Nash will lose out on another 50-40-90 season this year because of balky free-throw shooting, and that's sad.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
haha, what an amazing conversation this spawned.

Emily would literally love to read it. But all the misuse might make her head "literally" explode.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha, what an amazing conversation this spawned.

Emily would literally love to read it. But all the misuse might make her head "literally" explode.

Well then, For Emily Wherever You May Find Her, this time-wasting trip to the off-topic jungle of grammar related observations was literally for her.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
There is some hope for 'literally'... 'literal' has maintained it meaning fairly well, and they are related words.
I did discover one thing in this general domain. The reason ridiculous is so frequently misspelled is that we usually pronounce it ree-diculous. That got me wondering whether we might some day have the word 'diculous' at our disposal. It would mean what ridiculous now does and rediculous will mean extreme diculous, in keeping with the sometimes meaning of the 're' prefix.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If a word can have two meanings which directly contradict each other, it might as well have no meaning at all.
Sort of like the phrase, "I couldn't care less" being replaced with the facetious and opposite "I could care less".

What can you do? Denotation and connotation. Definition and actual usage.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of like the phrase, "I couldn't care less" being replaced with the facetious and opposite "I could care less".

What can you do? Denotation and connotation. Definition and actual usage.

And occasionally you have to bastardize the language so some idiot doesn't think it's safe to ram a fuel tanker because the sign says it's inflammable.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

FOR
You must be registered for see images attach

Literally. :moon:

Ok ok....a 2nd rd pick and a Caramello bar for Nash. Lets get it done! ...and move on with our basketball lives :)

dziki

Rookie
Reaction score
Have you consider any candidates for MIP award this season? I`m just curious if people will give it to Lin or any other candidate (like Bynum, Gortat, Ty Lawson or Kyle Lowry).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake