Anyone watching Jeremy Lin?

jibikao

Reaction score
To everybody's surprise, his PnR game with Amare isn't working well at all yet. And he even doesn't feel comfortable to gauge the passes to Amare, with two direct TOs for example. He has ways to go on decision makings to be like Nash in his last couple reasons with the Mavs.

Knicks fans say Amare is slow as **** now. He is very slow and can't jump. :(

Amare is definitely either hurt or aging surprisingly fast.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hear those knees are really causing him fits. Too bad. Seriously.

DAntoni needs to keep going with Lin. He is winning games for them. There is no point in lessening minutes etc unless he falters somehow. I do not think he will. He seems to be passing every test.

All of a sudden, the Knicks are deep. Who would have thought you could have a treasure buried on the end of your bench like that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DAntoni needs to keep going with Lin. He is winning games for them. There is no point in lessening minutes etc unless he falters somehow. I do not think he will. He seems to be passing every test.

All of a sudden, the Knicks are deep. Who would have thought you could have a treasure buried on the end of your bench like that.

Sometimes the Suns should check the waiver wire.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know anything about it but I can't help wondering if some of his problems are because he no longer has access to our training staff. We've seen what they've done for other guys, maybe he's just missing that kind of treatment.

Steve

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score

I really have not heard his kness are bothering him but he currently is not as explosive as he was in the past in the past.

He did put on 20 pounds of muscle in the off season. I believe that was because he expected to play a lot at the 5 prior to the Chandler acquisition.

He also did not have a training camp and may be finally missing the Suns training staff as Steve suggests.

I just think it is too early to suggest he is falling apart, but there certainly are signs.

As far a Lin logging too many minutes, that is hogwash at this point. He is not worn down and D'Antoni has NO ONE to replace him at this point, especially against a team like Dallas. Shumpert tried but failed misserably when Lin went to the bench in the 2nd quarter. They need Davis to get healthy or need to find another back up at the point. That was supposed to be Douglas but he has been horrible. Coach D is doing a fine job with what he has and has played EVERYONE on the team trying to find a combination that would work. He finally has found a group and is riding them. Soon he will have Melo back and Davis to add to the mix.

Remember prior to Lin playing the point they had lost 11 of 13 with others manning that position.

I suggested a while ago they could be very dangerous when all is said and done. That was before Lin's emergence and the JR Smith acquisition. I think I was right for once.

At halftime Magic suggested they could be very dangerous come the playoffs and is in love with Jeremy.

The Knicks are the most entertaining team in the league right now and I see no end in sight.

cly2tw

Reaction score
What people rarely notice is Lin's defense. Not only did he have 5 steals, but he has rare talent to rattle the offensive player's timing and moving ergonomics by his own pacing. Even when he seemingly got beat by a step or so, he recovers quick and smart to make the shooter feel pressured, threatened and uncomfortable. His quick hands and steps also saved him many times on the brink of a turnover under pressure. I'd bet he learned Chinese martial art secretly. ;) That's probably why he is so fearless driving in the lanes and seems poised under highest level of competitive pressure way beyond his (NBA) age.

Case in point, rewind his game-clinching 3 in the Raptors game. You would see how he stayed rather calm and cool for about half minute after draining the shot before erupting like crazy or like most people would do immediately after the made shot. (Hey, Amare is annoying with his shouting 'and-1' before even getting off the shot!) That's rare and evidence of a great clutch player in the making.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
What people rarely notice is Lin's defense. Not only did he have 5 steals, but he has rare talent to rattle the offensive player's timing and moving ergonomics by his own pacing. Even when he seemingly got beat by a step or so, he recovers quick and smart to make the shooter feel pressured, threatened and uncomfortable. His quick hands and steps also saved him many times on the brink of a turnover under pressure. I'd bet he learned Chinese martial art secretly. ;) That's probably why he is so fearless driving in the lanes and seems poised under highest level of competitive pressure way beyond his (NBA) age.

Case in point, rewind his game-clinching 3 in the Raptors game. You would see how he stayed rather calm and cool for about half minute after draining the shot before erupting like crazy or like most people would do immediately after the made shot. (Hey, Amare is annoying with his shouting 'and-1' before even getting off the shot!) That's rare and evidence of a great clutch player in the making.

His defense has been very good and is rebounding very well. He appears to be the total package.

If he cleans up his turnovers, I wonder what the naysayers will complain about?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
If he cleans up his turnovers, I wonder what the naysayers will complain about?

They'll complain that his "court vision" isn't like Greivis Vasquez's. :mulli:

Anywho, even his turnovers have something to say about him. A majority of his turnovers happen near the rim. Hopefully, if his turnovers do go down, it's not because he's been less aggressive going to the rim.

cly2tw

Reaction score
They'll complain that his "court vision" isn't like Greivis Vasquez'. :mulli:

Anywho, even his turnovers have something to say about him. A majority of his turnovers happen near the rim. Hopefully, if his turnovers do go down, it's not because he's been less aggressive going to the rim.

He learns from his mistakes. By starting with 6 assists to only 1 TO in the first half playing over 20 min., he was not forcing it with drives every time under double team pressure like he did in the Hornets game. He "reverted" back a little in the 3rd but had himself mostly under control. This ability to adjust is rare.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought today's game was impressive. With the national spotlight on, he shined.

For a 6'3 PG that drives to the hoop and demands double-teams, he really needs to improve his FT shooting. 50% from the line today can't be hidden from other outstanding play.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's such a beast. He's already made himself a name as a top 10 PG in the league IMO.

But ******** D'Antoni give him some f***ing rest!! He's playing like 42 mins every night!

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
He's such a beast. He's already made himself a name as a top 10 PG in the league IMO.

But ******** D'Antoni give him some f***ing rest!! He's playing like 42 mins every night!

D'Antoni has tried everyone he has available at the point this season and they are horrible. Lin has been truly a savior.

Davis appears to be the only option at this point and he has been injured forever.

The Knicks plus minus with Lin off the court is terrible.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Even so he goes 28/14/5 on their asses.

BOOM SHAKALAKA!!!
exactly, and they were most effective on him in the 3rd when they just guarded him one on one the whole time and played help defense when he penetrated the lane. that's when he made all of his turnovers. when they trapped him he just passed the ball and someone was wide open for a shot or layup and it effected the rebounding as well because they were scrambling to their man. trust me I watch the mavs every game and they don't trap that much...even on kobe, chris paul and other players. I think they planned on flustering him because of his experience level by fouling him and trapping as much as possible... and to Lin's credit he made the right plays when they did that and it hurt dallas more than it helped.

to lin's credit late in the game he hit 2 big 3's when he was being guarded one on one late in the game. he's the real deal....reminds me of tony romo right now. but he's got skills.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I really have not heard his kness are bothering him but he currently is not as explosive as he was in the past in the past.

He did put on 20 pounds of muscle in the off season. I believe that was because he expected to play a lot at the 5 prior to the Chandler acquisition.

He also did not have a training camp and may be finally missing the Suns training staff as Steve suggests.

I just think it is too early to suggest he is falling apart, but there certainly are signs.

As far a Lin logging too many minutes, that is hogwash at this point. He is not worn down and D'Antoni has NO ONE to replace him at this point, especially against a team like Dallas. Shumpert tried but failed misserably when Lin went to the bench in the 2nd quarter. They need Davis to get healthy or need to find another back up at the point. That was supposed to be Douglas but he has been horrible. Coach D is doing a fine job with what he has and has played EVERYONE on the team trying to find a combination that would work. He finally has found a group and is riding them. Soon he will have Melo back and Davis to add to the mix.

Remember prior to Lin playing the point they had lost 11 of 13 with others manning that position.

I suggested a while ago they could be very dangerous when all is said and done. That was before Lin's emergence and the JR Smith acquisition. I think I was right for once.

At halftime Magic suggested they could be very dangerous come the playoffs and is in love with Jeremy.

The Knicks are the most entertaining team in the league right now and I see no end in sight.
all i know is that amare looks nothing like the guy i watched in phoenix for years. maybe he just had a bad game or he's struggling with something else.

Last edited:

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
all i know is that amare looks nothing like the guy i watched in phoenix for years. maybe he just had a bad game or he's struggling with something else.

Hard to argue with that.

If he is not getting and 1's, his value dips dramatically. What concerns me is that his jumper has disappeared. That was money in his last few seasons in Phoenix.

Coach D has his hands full. Maybe too many pieces.

I think Shumpert is a big key. He is a very good defender and he needs minutes but who's minutes does he get?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In what little I've seen of Shumpert, he's been a disaster offensively. Terrible decision-making, poor shooter, turnover-prone, etc.

Suns fans overrated Stoudemire's jumper while he wore the Phoenix uniform. It was always about a 50/50 proposition. As with any coin flip, sometimes he'd run hot for a while and people would rave about what a weapon it had become. But he has always been reluctant to trust it in crunch time.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suns fans overrated Stoudemire's jumper while he wore the Phoenix uniform. It was always about a 50/50 proposition. As with any coin flip, sometimes he'd run hot for a while and people would rave about what a weapon it had become. But he has always been reluctant to trust it in crunch time.
I agree with your last statement,but i dont think fans overrated his jump shot. For myself, i was always impressed with it because he entered the league without one,and worked hard to develop one that was very servicable for a bigman.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to argue with that.

If he is not getting and 1's, his value dips dramatically. What concerns me is that his jumper has disappeared. That was money in his last few seasons in Phoenix.

Coach D has his hands full. Maybe too many pieces.

I think Shumpert is a big key. He is a very good defender and he needs minutes but who's minutes does he get?

Wow, JWB. That's the first time I've seen you acknowledge any drop off from Amare. Solid post, too.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your last statement,but i dont think fans overrated his jump shot. For myself, i was always impressed with it because he entered the league without one,and worked hard to develop one that was very servicable for a bigman.

Agreed. And better than many.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Hard to argue with that.

Amare has had no lifting in his jumps the last couple of games, which probably is also a reason for inconsistent jumper lately. But in the Atlanta game, he was trying his best to be useful to the team, with for his standard above-average defense and rebounding effort.

Shumpert's PG skill is a little better than TD's, but he is a SG naturally. With experience, I see him as an Iggy type of player down his career.

cly2tw

Reaction score

The most important point is that he has it as an option defenders have to honor, which opens the lane for basket attacks. However, unlike Boozer and West who barely jump with their "jumpers", Amare jumps high with his which makes his jumper prone to a lot of circumstances.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
In what little I've seen of Shumpert, he's been a disaster offensively. Terrible decision-making, poor shooter, turnover-prone, etc.

You are way off base on Shumpert. He is not a PG. He was forced to play that position due to no Lin or Davis early on.

Surely his offense needs work but he is a very good defender and will be needed if they meet up with Miami in the playoffs against Lebron.

Coach D likes him, yes he does like some rookies, and will play him when healthy.

Where's the beat down on D'Antoni tonight?

He played 10 tonight and will want to play 12 when Harrelson and Shumpert are healthy. Bibby, Douglas Walker be by inactive most nights.

They suddenly have maybe the deepest roster in the league.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, JWB. That's the first time I've seen you acknowledge any drop off from Amare. Solid post, too.

Bone

I still am not convinced Amare is ready for moth balls. I think the 20 extra pounds have hurt him a lot. He played pretty good defense tonight and got his butt on the boards. He had 7 Points and 10 boards and was very active in 24 minutes. A bigger test awaits tomorrow night in South Beach.

He has not developed the chemistry with Lin on the Pickand roll that Lin and Chandler have, that will take time. He still appears to be getting the ball in awkward places on the court.

There certainly are signs of Amares decline but I will stick by my man.

If the Suns still had him they might still be relevant while making the playoffs and selling a few more tickets. I expect Nash and Hill would be much happier as well.

I am not convinced our future is brighter without him.

Who is his replacement again?

What year will we make the playoff again?

When will the next Sell out happen at US Airways again?

(Linsanity and the Knicks don't visit this year)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake