Anyone watching Jeremy Lin?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Here's a great story about Lin from the Heat's Haslem: http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index...s-in-context/775e09dd4cb218fa64bbe0f11f3b8ca5

That's when the Knicks came to AmericanAirlines Arena on Jan. 27th. This is where Haslem tells his story."Before each game, I go to chapel," Haslem said.

It is held an hour before tip-off in a small room between the two teams' locker rooms. A handful of players attend. A pastor oversees it and typically asks the players if there's anything they want to pray for.

Often, players talk of health or loved ones or maybe a friend going through a tough time. Haslem has been attending these chapels for eight NBA seasons and has heard it all.

Until this one.

Lin did something Haslem never heard before.

"Can you pray I don't get cut?" Lin told the pastor and other players.

This wasn't a joke or a passing thought. Lin already was cut twice, after all. He felt he was at the end again.
Haslem never had played against Lin, never talked with him, never even seen him before this chapel. But he looked at him that night and immediately appreciated his story.

Haslem knows what it's like to go undrafted, to be not wanted by any team and forge a career through hard work and self-belief.

"I understood where he was coming from," Haslem said.

The pastor prayed for Lin that night. Haslem did, too. Then Lin went out and did what he usually did. He didn't play in the Heat's win.

"But a week later it was da-da-da," Haslem says, giving the ESPN SportsCenter entry noise.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Why did Amare put on the weight? I'm no sports doctor but it seems to me that an athlete with bad knees(or feet) would try to maintain or even drop a few lbs.

I expect he thought he was going to play the 5 and wanted to bulk up so he wouldn't get pushed around in the paint.

I agree with you. I would have kept the weight off or reduced it a few pounds to protect the knees.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I expect he thought he was going to play the 5 and wanted to bulk up so he wouldn't get pushed around in the paint.
I did read that it was exactly why he bulked up. By the time the Knicks got Tyson Chandler, it was too late for Amar'e to bulk-down.

Why is Pringles so obsessed with making Amar'e a Center, both in Phoenix and New York? It is tough enough for him to be a Power Forward on defense.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. The Heat really frustrated him tonight. This is the first really bad game since the run started.

Chalmers and Norris Cole are playing really well. They are going to be hard to beat this year.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I did read that it was exactly why he bulked up. By the time the Knicks got Tyson Chandler, it was too late for Amar'e to bulk-down.

Why is Pringles so obsessed with making Amar'e a Center, both in Phoenix and New York? It is tough enough for him to be a Power Forward on defense.
Adding weight to a big man slows them down a lot. amare's game should not be based on bulk. it is based on athletic ability for a guy that size. same with tyson chandler. don nelson had dirk gain 20 pounds in steve nash's last year in dallas to play center and it hurt dirk's game.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why is Pringles so obsessed with making Amare a Center, both in Phoenix and New York? It is tough enough for him to be a Power Forward on defense.

D'Antoni loves small ball. This makes sense if he planned on Amare not having to play PF's. If he was going to play more centers...bulking up makes sense.

However, Amare and the medical staff had to know this would impact his knees. Also, even when Amare played much center here he always used his quickness against opposing centers.

Sounds like desperation on D'Antoni's part.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
anyone watch the little interview with melo during the all-star game, it was during the 2nd qtr around the 10 min mark-ish.
haha he just avoided the whole Lin thing. jealous much? maybe im just reaching for something since i dont like melo as a player.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
anyone watch the little interview with melo during the all-star game, it was during the 2nd qtr around the 10 min mark-ish.
haha he just avoided the whole Lin thing. jealous much? maybe im just reaching for something since i dont like melo as a player.

I saw it and it reminded me how much I dislike him.

He comes off as a self centered punk. I remember the cheap punch he through at someone a couple of years ago during a scuffle on the court. He is a punk. When Kenyon Martin and Kobe Bryant are the only ones coming to your defense I stop listening.

He may have top 5 player in talent but I would not want him on my team. George Karl has it right.

What was his main reason to go to New York?

I really think playing for the Knicks and making them a better team were not at the top of the list. When he gets in games he struts himself all over the court, takes more shots than anyone else and the Knicks lose more games than before they got him. He makes a few passes to make it appear he is a team player than starts hoisting up horrible shots. That is who Carmelo Anthony is. He thinks he is better than anyone else and wanted the big lights of New York to showcase his skills.

I believe it came down to money and being where his wife needs to be for her career. If Denver and the Knicks would not have made the trade last year he would have had to take a pay cut to join the Knicks. He would have none of that so he basically forced the Knicks to gut their roster to acquire him.

I wish the Knicks would make a deal with Orlando something like this.

Howard, Nelson and Turkoglu for

Amare, Chandler, Shump and Lin.

I would immediatley stop watching the Knicks and watch the Magic. The main reason would be not to watch Melo destroy a good thing.

The Knicks have played their best basketball this year with Melo on the sideline or not at the arena, take your pick. When on the sideline he still struts and appears not interested in what is happening on the court.

Rant over.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Jeremy got

19 Pts
13 Assists
5 Rebounds
1 Turnover

That is more like it. Davis also put up good numbers.

Wish we would have drafted Shumpert. He can't shoot but he is a winner.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The Knicks have one soft schedule, but I think it's about to get tougher. Teams are making Steve Novak look like he's Larry Bird. As much as Lin has helped the Knicks win games, Steve Novak has been amazing.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Here's an interesting article from Slam Online about Lin's true athleticism: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/03/life-in-the-fast-lane/

So how fast is Jeremy Lin?

BAM gives three numbers: average speed, start speed, and top-end speed. BAM translates this into miles per hour. Average speed is calculated by an algorithm that averages start speed and top speed. Start speed is the first burst of speed, the acceleration phase. Top speed is shifting gears out of the acceleration to one’s peak speed. Here’s how Lin’s BAM numbers compare in the 25 yard sprint.

AVERAGE SPEED

Jeremy Lin: 16.66 mph

Derrick Rose: 16.60 mph

John Wall: 16.48 mph

Kyrie Irving: 15.67 mph

Lin wins this battle.

START SPEED

Lin: 13.93 mph

Wall: 13.25 mph

Irving: 12.64 mph

For Rose, BAM has only average speed data.

Lin wins this battle too.

TOP SPEED

Lin: 18.85 mph

Wall: 19.30 mph

Irving: 18.74 mph

Lin comes in second to Wall.

Lin’s speed, combined with his court skills and his basketball intelligence, make his emergence as an effective NBA player a little less surprising. It also explains why he’s made NBA teams, even if he was eventually released with very little playing time. To get an NBA contract means scouts and coaches were sufficiently impressed.

“Speed and acceleration are key components of athletic success,” Brungardt explains. “Standardized testing and BAM’s added data points for start speed and top speed give scouts the information they need to evaluate a player’s athleticism. The numbers show that speed-wise, Lin is in the elite ballpark.”

Is speed, plus four years of college ball, the new formula for NBA success? Has Lin cracked the code? Are there more Jeremy Lins out there? Regardless, we have one more piece of the Lin puzzle. He’s fast.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
After watching him for a longer period of time, what do you guys think now? I won't comment because then some guys will snap. Just curious on what your opinions are about him now that Linsanity has cooled off.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
After watching him for a longer period of time, what do you guys think now? I won't comment because then some guys will snap. Just curious on what your opinions are about him now that Linsanity has cooled off.

Melo has done a great job in cooling Lin and the whole team off. I believe they are 2 and 5 since his return. Prior to his return they had won 8 out of 9.

The Knicks were fun to watch, now your either watch Melo pout or hog the ball. Most of the time he does both. I still enjoy watching Lin learn as he goes. He makes mistakes but plays hard and doesn't pout when things don't go his way. I wish we had him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We have no tolerance for all you Asian-hating people.

Seriously though, I have no idea what to make of him. I still like the kid but Melo has really killed the ball movement there. Also, I'm sure Lin is having some difficulties adjusting to the fact that the opponents now gear up for him every night.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It looks like his defenders have figured out if you make him pick up his dribble and or pressure the ball then he becomes a pretty average player. Not saying he cant adjust and improve, but when he isnt in motion his passing is sub par and he does not have much of a perimeter game.

But he is still a better option than any other PGs on the Knicks roster. I cant believe how many of their fans seem to think Baron Davis' corpse might be an upgrade.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
It looks like his defenders have figured out if you make him pick up his dribble and or pressure the ball then he becomes a pretty average player. Not saying he cant adjust and improve, but when he isnt in motion his passing is sub par and he does not have much of a perimeter game.

But he is still a better option than any other PGs on the Knicks roster. I cant believe how many of their fans seem to think Baron Davis' corpse might be an upgrade.

Good god Baron Davis' corpse is so scary to watch out there. I agree, Lin is far better than Tony Douglas and Baron Davis. At least he is confident, even if teams are exploiting his weaknesses he exudes confidence and poise on the court.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lin is still good. The Knicks should trade Carmelo. They'd be a much better team.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Who here would do Carmelo for Nash? Before I get killed, I wouldn't do that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who here would do Carmelo for Nash? Before I get killed, I wouldn't do that.

I would do it, only because you can flip Carmelo after the season for something of good value and that him on the team opposed to Nash on the team would bottom us out big time. But as far as wanting Carmelo around long term? Good god, no.

We would have, by a wide margin, the worst group of guards in the league and maybe the worst assembly of guards on any roster in several years.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Melo to the Suns would mean everyone currently on the team become extremely useless... as these guys are use to being part of the offensive scheme... with Melo they become watchers :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell no! No CarMElo.

Why not? It would be an ingenious move on Sarver's part. Melo doesn't play well with others but he's one of those unique players that can win you a game every now and then even if he's surrounded by no-talent hacks. Trade everybody on the roster and surround Melo with D League talent. We'll win about a fourth of our games on a shoestring budget (which Sarver will love) and after 3 or 4 years of drafting in the top few spots we should be a cheap and attractive option for the next Russian billionaire looking to buy into the NBA.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would literally do one of these for Nash...but thats just me. Literally.:D
You must be registered for see images

Just out of curiosity, is that the literal version of "literally" or the figurative version of "literally". I want to move to a world where literally literally means literally, figuratively speaking of course. BTW, caramel is bad for your teeth and Melo is bad for your sanity but I'd make the trade too. Somebody, somewhere would probably give us something for him someday.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake