Anyone watching Jeremy Lin?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Just to head off jagu's inevitable posts:

Man, if this is how jagu posts after Lin hits a cold-blooded gamewinner, I can only imagine what his posts will be like after the Knicks post a loss.

It's awesome to have such an admirer on the boards. :) Clearly you worry more about what my opinion is on Lin that what your opinion is on Lin lol. Awww.. I was just saying it's highly unlikely he'll continue his ways unless he is a legit superstar NBA player (from his skill set it seems unlikely and that's based on my views which you definitely don't like). If he does well and shuts me up great for him, but I have just as much right to post an opinion up on Lin as anyone else here and just because I don't conform to your beliefs doesn't make me a racist, Asian hater. And I've already stated I'd take Lin over our crappy backup PG's any day of the week. He has talent, just probably not what we are seeing right now (again my opinion before you go off cursing and taunting). Is he a great story? hell yes. Is he legit? I personally don't think so as of now but I'm not an NBA scout to tell you that I'm 100% accurate. I'll eat crow if he is in fact a can't miss star. I've eaten plenty of crow before (with Frye last year but he's back to being sucky anyway).

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
even bigger than Yao's impact potentially...

I mean Lin can be casted in films (lol), and not be a freaky character. And his game style appeals to young people much more so than Yao's did.

He's a walking billion dollar a year man for the NBA.... I would bet money that Stern and his marketing department is already deep into conversation with China/Taiwan markets and companies late last week about Lin-related stuff.

Cha-ching!!! I thought Dolan was filthy rich before, with Lin he's going to be even richer. Lin is extremely marketable right now and they are doing a great job marketing him already if you watch the games on MSG.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I liken what Lin is doing to the way Nash impacted the Suns. Nobody believed Nash would have that big of an impact. In fact, people pointed to his turnovers, lack of defense and reckless play but the Suns kept winning.

Lin is having that sort of impact. Now I am not saying he is Nash or anything. It's way too early. However, just saying this talk reminds me of that. If the Knicks keep winning....you can take all the turnovers and he takes too many shots thing and throw in the the bin.

There are a ton of talented guys in this league that are losers. Leadership and chemistry are underrated IMO. If the Knicks are still winning most of their games 10 games from now (assuming that Amare & Carmelo don't screw it up) anybody that trashes Lin is a hater. Winning is what counts right now. Give the guy a chance to get some games under his belt. He has started for what 2 weeks?

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love watching Jeremy Lin and from everything I've read and heard about this guy, I'm really happy for his success. HOWEVER, having just lived through 3 months of all-Tebow, all-the-time on ESPN I'm not enjoying the fact that they're now trotting out the 24 hour hype machine for this kid. Somebody needs to tell those clowns that when they start asking their baseball and hockey analysts about Linsanity that they've gone way too far.

Also, I don't know who came up with the Super Lintendo nickname but is that really complimentary to someone of Taiwanese/Chinese heritage. I'd think that naming him after a Japanese product is going to come across a little bit like "close enough" to the idiot that named him but probably isn't going to be taken the same way by the roughly 20% of the world's population that make up this ethnic group. Then again, maybe I'm missing something here.

Steve

jibikao

Reaction score
****, Knicks shouldn't blow out other teams because people want to see more of Lin!

Bad move.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I love watching Jeremy Lin and from everything I've read and heard about this guy, I'm really happy for his success. HOWEVER, having just lived through 3 months of all-Tebow, all-the-time on ESPN I'm not enjoying the fact that they're now trotting out the 24 hour hype machine for this kid. Somebody needs to tell those clowns that when they start asking their baseball and hockey analysts about Linsanity that they've gone way too far.

Steve

Agreed. I do think the hype thing is crazy especial the use of the word "Legend" Glad to see someone who seems to be really genuine and humble get some spotlight as opposed to the Me first or even criminals that get lots of air time.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope the Suns offer the max contract to him. 90% chance is he will stay with NY but the Knicks might be hesitant to give him that much money after already having 'Melo, Amare and Chandler all on the books for high $$$.

Wouldn't hurt to offer him a deal.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Suns offer the max contract to him. 90% chance is he will stay with NY but the Knicks might be hesitant to give him that much money after already having 'Melo, Amare and Chandler all on the books for high $$$.

He'll be a Knick next year guaranteed.
Lin will be eligible to receive a qualifying offer from the Knicks worth approximately $2.7 million, with $5 million being the maximum that another team could offer in the first year of a multi-year offer sheet.
The Knicks could use their full mid-level exception to match all offers.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Knicks have any money problems. They'll match. Are you kidding me?!

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I just heard a ridiculous stat on ESPN Radio earlier today from the Knicks/Kings game: With Lin on the floor, the Knicks' shooting percentage was around 64 percent, with him off, the shooting percentage went down to around 35 percent. Here's more:

The first ingredient in Lin's meteoric rise to stardom is his phenomenal ability to get to the basket. Though Wednesday, among players with at least 75 attempts within six feet of the rim, the only point guards who take a higher percentage of their total shots from that range are Boston's Rajon Rondo and Sacramento's Tyreke Evans (if you consider him a point guard). And while both Rondo and Evans' short-range field goals are assisted more than a quarter of the time (meaning a teammate created the high-percentage opportunity for them), Lin is creating those attempts all by his lonesome -- only 10.3 percent of his field goals within six feet have been assisted. With a 51 percent conversion rate on close shots (which make up more than 55 percent of Lin's total attempts), it's easy to see why the Knicks' phenom is shooting 50 percent from the field, seventh among guards with at least 135 tries.

In addition to setting up high-percentage shots in the lane, Lin's quick first step and attacking style naturally lead to a large number of free throws, which are great for enhancing offensive efficiency (the league averages 76 percent more points on possessions ending in free throws than on non-free-throw possessions). Per 100 field-goal attempts, Lin is attempting a staggering 52.4 free throws, an exceptional rate for a backcourt player. Among guards, only Oklahoma City's James Harden (63.3) and Detroit's Rodney Stuckey (54.7) have better ratios of free-throw attempts to field-goal attempts than Lin. Although he's only knocking down 75 percent of his shots from the charity stripe -- a mark that ranks 38th out of 43 guards with at least 70 attempts -- Lin is making enough to boost his efficiency, given the frequency with which he draws fouls.

But perhaps Lin's greatest contribution to the Knicks' offense has been his playmaking ability. Early in the season, New York employed a number of non-passers at point guard, including Iman Shumpert (who assists on a paltry 18.7 percent of teammate field goals when on the court), Toney Douglas (also 18.7 percent) and Mike Bibby (15.8 percent). This led to coach Mike D'Antoni using noted ball-stopper Carmelo Anthony -- he of the career 15.5 percent assist rate going into 2012 -- as the team's main distributor, in a point-forward role.

The results were predictably bad, as the Knicks' offense stagnated in the absence of a true playmaker. But after Lin assumed the mantle of New York's primary point guard seven games ago, the team's scoring output has improved from 1.011 points per possession to 1.052, in no small part because Lin has a healthy 51.5 percent assist rate, second-highest in the league behind Steve Nash's 58.7 percent mark. This development shouldn't be too surprising: Research on the individual stats most associated with on-court impact consistently finds that assists are strongly linked to increased offensive efficiency.

And efficiency has definitely been the name of Lin's game during his recent run. His true shooting percentage, which measures the average number of points a player generates per possession when he shoots, compares favorably to that of other star players. Moreover, according to the formula for offensive efficiency from Dean Oliver's book Basketball on Paper, Lin is producing 1.073 points per possession for the Knicks (compared to the league average of 1.03), and is using 33.2 percent of New York's possessions while on the floor, one of the highest usage rates in the league. Only two players -- Kobe Bryant (36.2 percent) and Russell Westbrook (33.7 percent) -- shoulder a greater proportion of their team's offensive burden than Lin has this season, and Lin's offensive efficiency is considerably better than either Bryant's (1.049 points per possession) or Westbrook's (1.031).

The only players in the NBA to use more than 30 percent of team possessions and post better efficiency marks than Lin? Heat teammates LeBron James (33.1 percent of possessions, 1.189 points per possession) and Dwyane Wade (31.1 percent, 1.111). So, offensively, Lin is currently among elite company.
Defensively, Lin's metrics also suggest he's playing at an above-average level. According to 82games.com, opposing point guards have a 15.1 Player Efficiency Rating when matched up with Lin (league average is 15.0), but the Knicks are 5.5 points per 100 possessions of defensive efficiency better with Lin in the game, and his career 4.0 steals percentage (the percentage of opponent possessions that end with a steal by the player while he was on the floor) is indicative of a player with the length and athleticism to bother opposing ball-handlers.

Want more evidence of Lin's impact on D? Before he began seeing heavy minutes, New York was allowing 1.018 points per possession, but that number has dropped to 0.962 since Feb. 4 (to put that number in perspective, consider that the NBA's best defense, the Philadelphia 76ers, have allowed 0.968 points per possession this season). Because of these factors, Lin's regularized adjusted defensive plus/minus rating is plus-0.2, placing him above the league average (and far above the average for point guards, who tend to rate negatively on defense in plus/minus systems).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns can't. The Gilbert Arenas rule says the Suns cannot offer anything more than the average player salary to a restricted free agent with two years or fewer in the NBA. The Suns could offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.15 million per year only. Not much incentive for him to bolt.

I don't think the Knicks have any money problems. They'll match. Are you kidding me?!

The Knicks are over the cap so they can't sign him beyond their 5 million mid-level exception. Unless the Knicks shed some salary they can be outbid but not by much because of the Gilbert Arenas rule. I think the current average salary is around 5.15 million dollars and the Knick's can't exceed the 5 million dollar exception. I just don't see him bolting for only slightly more per year than other teams can offer.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The time time to get Lin was before he broke out. Any team had a shot at him, although you'd think that the Knicks and Suns would have had the best opportunity to showcase his talents given their style of play. The Knicks won't have any trouble keeping Lin.

The better question will be whether the Knicks will still pursue Nash this summer. That was a foregone conclusion just a few weeks ago. But if Lin keeps this up, then it seems very unlikely that Nash would be their target, especially since they won't have any money left after re-signing Lin.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the Knicks were smart, they'd deal Melo to someone to get like a Joe Johnson, an Iggy, Rudy Gay and try to run Suns 2004-5 out there with Lin, one of those guys, Amare and Chandler. And if not JJ, then someone like him.

Melo might be damaged goods at this point, but he's still a superstar in this league and he just doesn't fit the pieces that NY has now that they've got what could be a legit PG to run DA's system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a chance that Melo will manage to adjust his game to Lin. If he can do that, the Knicks could be really good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a chance that Melo will manage to adjust his game to Lin. If he can do that, the Knicks could be really good.

this could be also. He was able to play with Billups, but he was a different kind of pg than Lin. If he CAN, the Knicks could actually be a really scary offensive force, WITH a defensive anchor in the middle that we never had.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
this could be also. He was able to play with Billups, but he was a different kind of pg than Lin. If he CAN, the Knicks could actually be a really scary offensive force, WITH a defensive anchor in the middle that we never had.
What about Shaq? :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about Shaq? :)

Too bad he could no longer defend the pick and roll as well as he did in his younger days. You know, back when he was the worst pick and roll big man in the history of the game (I'm channeling Bill Walton).

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Lin was smart instead of signing a cheap $5 million per year long term deal with the Knicks, he should just take the QO and then become an unrestricted FA next season and sign a max contract with either the Knicks or someone else.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Lin was smart instead of signing a cheap $5 million per year long term deal with the Knicks, he should just take the QO and then become an unrestricted FA next season and sign a max contract with either the Knicks or someone else.

My thoughts exactly. Sign a one year deal with the Knicks and go for broke next season.

cly2tw

Reaction score

The smart move would be sign a 5mil per contract with a player option as soon as he gets the full Bird status with NYK. With all the revenue generated by Lin's ascent for Knicks, they certainly would accommodate Lin anyway he wants it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lin is super fun to watch. Coach Pringles got his Nash-like PG, and the Knicks are exciting again. I agree they need to flip Melo for some wing shooters.

Lin is not only fun to watch, but he's funny and smart to boot.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He IS smart (Harvard you know). I expect him to do just exactly this.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lin is such a marketing bonanza for the whole Asia world. He is the whole package.

1. He looks like an average Asian kid.
2. He's in the nba which is really big. I was in the mountains of a tiny island in the Philippines last summer and when I told this group of Junior High age kids that I was from Phoenix, they all yelled "Steve Nash." These are kids who do not have shoes, play basketball on dirt with a plywood backboard. They all want to be Steve Nash because he is small, like them.
3. He went to Harvard. Asian parents will be buying posters for their kids. "Be like Lin, go to Harvard"

He has the potential to be the highest paid athlete in history. USAToday said yesterday that he is, at this moment, the most popular athlete on the planet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake