Anyone watching Jeremy Lin?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since they claimed him off waivers the Knicks retain his early bird rights. If he had cleared waivers they would not have.

No, this is ONE interpretation of the rule. Larry Coon said that nobody knows if this is how the league rules in this case. Nobody knows how the new CBA will handle this kind of situation.

I don't think that is accurate. They were talking about this today on the radio.

Lin will be a restricted free agent this summer and the Knicks can match any offer only up to their mid-level exception. The Knicks do not own any Bird Rights because he was claimed off waivers but he is sort of protected by the Gilbert Arenas rule which says that rival teams can't offer anything more than the average player salary to a restricted free agent with two years or fewer in the NBA. However, because the Knicks are over the cap they can't sign him beyond their 5 million mid-level exception which is usually in the range of an average salary.

I think the average player salary is 5.15 million. So, if I understood this correctly, unless the Knicks make moves to get under the cap, they can be outbid because all they can do is match up to the mid level exception. How much of a slap in the face would it be if the Knicks lose out on resigning the guy by a couple hundred thousand or less. OUCH!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, this is ONE interpretation of the rule. Larry Coon said that nobody knows if this is how the league rules in this case. Nobody knows how the new CBA will handle this kind of situation.

I would love for you to be right on this.

Errntknght

Reaction score
DarenG,
I think the average player salary is 5.15 million. So, if I understood this correctly, unless the Knicks make moves to get under the cap, they can be outbid because all they can do is match up to the mid level exception. How much of a slap in the face would it be if the Knicks lose out on resigning the guy by a couple hundred thousand or less. OUCH!!!!

Unless Carmelo (or Amare) craps on him, I wouldn't think a couple 100K would cause him to leave the Knicks. From the bits I've seen it looks like his teammates love him and he is having the time of his life out there. Hell, even D'Antoni's system seems to fit him to a T. There doesn't seem to be any of the 'prima donna' about him but its got to be a blast succeeding in the 'garden'...

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
DarenG,

Unless Carmelo (or Amare) craps on him, I wouldn't think a couple 100K would cause him to leave the Knicks. From the bits I've seen it looks like his teammates love him and he is having the time of his life out there. Hell, even D'Antoni's system seems to fit him to a T. There doesn't seem to be any of the 'prima donna' about him but its got to be a blast succeeding in the 'garden'...

That's IF D'Antoni even comes back to coach this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's IF D'Antoni even comes back to coach this team.

As I view it, Lin could save D'Antoni's job in New York. Finally DA gets a PG that run his offense. I'm thinking the Knicks are already thinking about moving Carmelo if there is a taker.

cly2tw

Reaction score
As I view it, Lin could save D'Antoni's job in New York. Finally DA gets a PG that run his offense. I'm thinking the Knicks are already thinking about moving Carmelo if there is a taker.

Lin still has a lot of growing to do. So, I'd wait and see whether NY really see the need to keep DA. If Lin is any good, he'd be good also under other coaches.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
FGA/G in last 3: 22.3 FGA

Kevin Durant averages 19.4 FGA/G. Carmelo averages 18.8 something FGA's per game. If this pace continues he'd be second in NBA in FGA per game under Kobe (24.1 FGA).

Here is the ranking of FGA/G among NBA players

24.1 - Kobe
19.4 - Monta Ellis
19.4 - Kevin Durant.

Give Nash 22.3 FGA per game. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. That was an amazing PG performance. 27 points, 11 assists.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
So I guess Nash may not be going to New York now. He sure sounds like a team leader

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Kevin Durant averages 19.4 FGA/G. Carmelo averages 18.8 something FGA's per game. If this pace continues he'd be second in NBA in FGA per game under Kobe (24.1 FGA).

24.1 - Kobe
19.4 - Monta Ellis
19.4 - Kevin Durant.

Either;

1. Lin is in the zone (as in similar to Kobe when he had that 5 games of 40+ points back in 2005-2006)...

2. He has that many good looks to the ring or open lanes to the ring... have to admit this kid has a REALLY quick first step. He is indeed averaging almost 9 FTA a game.

3. The Knicks is going to him.....

MAN, the moment he cuts his TOs to around 3-4 a game.... and still post 25/10 games.... we may have a Derrick Rose/Steve Nash hybrid.. who still needs shot improvement.

6 games is not a fluke.... the guy is a keeper for sure... 6'4, fairly athletic build, nice first step, high IQ.... can improve ball handling and ball security though.... but thats what makes him effective he makes high risk plays and passes....

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

24.1 - Kobe
19.4 - Monta Ellis
19.4 - Kevin Durant.

Weren't you done posting in this thread? Do you have something against Asians or something?

Here it is:

This is my last post on this thread. It's my opinion, if you have an issue with it, too bad.

Well, my opinion is, you're digging for things to "bury" Lin in. DIGGING. Whatever the **** your agenda is, I don't know, but something about Lin irritates you, and you'll stop at nothing until you "prove" that Lin is the garbage *you* think he is.

My opinion. If you have an issue with it, too bad.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Weren't you done posting in this thread? Do you have something against Asians or something?

Just because I actually used real stats? Wow.

He only goes right, it's hard to imagine him keeping this pace up. It would be amazing if he did. But he definitely isn't going to get 22.3 FGA/G up.

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
As some famous NBA players have said, the most amazing players are the ones that are clutch and can finish the game.

I think that's what's most amazing about Lin so far. This dude doesn't just do well in the first half of the game and then slowly shy away. This dude excels in intense moments. He had a similar winning shot in the 3rd win or something. Lin isn't a great 3-pt shooter but he sure can hit the right ones when the team needs.

Maybe he is on fire but is he that bad if he is a 15pt/6assist guard who is being paid at the absolute minimum salary?

jibikao

Reaction score

I wouldn't leave Knicks if I were Lin. Knicks is a huge a market. Even if he doesn't get the absolute best contract due to circumstances you just described, he would have gotten paid much more from other sources if he keeps it up.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
6 WINS in a row...
6 20+7+ games for Lin...

The guy do this 40+ times in a season, he will an MVP.

He is a winner, judging by the 6 games.... also someone will come in and rebutt that.... but the Knicks looked mostly absolute garbage before that winning streak, including games with both Melo and Amare.

jibikao

Reaction score
Just because I actually used real stats? Wow.

You know what the REAL stats is? Knicks is winning 6 in a row! Nash can score 40pt per game but if the team is not winning, it ain't working.

I love Nash but you seem to want to poke holes in this Lin for some reasons. You were probably hoping Knicks gets their butt kicked tonight.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave Knicks if I were Lin. Knicks is a huge a market. Even if he doesn't get the absolute best contract due to circumstances you just described, he would have gotten paid much more from other sources if he keeps it up.

Lin is a walking BILLION dollars a year man.
Combine that with Knicks market... WOW.

China/Taiwan will supply NBA with 10 Billion dollars alone from Lin merchandise... imagine the TV rights for Knicks games..

Knicks = Winning Lottery (so far)

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many turnovers and for a point guard he needs a higher FT%.

Both those are fixable with experience.

Thought it was a fun 4-game stretch, but he doesn't stop. I'm actually watching some NBA now.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm actually watching some NBA now.

This!

I've got all sorts of friends and family who usually have little to no interest in the NBA swept up in the Lin phenomenon (I refuse to use his name in a pun).

I don't know if it'll last but other than 'The Decision,' when was the NBA relevant on such a scale worldwide?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its like baseballs big homerun season. U have to watch just to see what will happen next. This kid is goingto be so rich. The asian endorsements are going to be huge.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
even bigger than Yao's impact potentially...

I mean Lin can be casted in films (lol), and not be a freaky character. And his game style appeals to young people much more so than Yao's did.

He's a walking billion dollar a year man for the NBA.... I would bet money that Stern and his marketing department is already deep into conversation with China/Taiwan markets and companies late last week about Lin-related stuff.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Just to head off jagu's inevitable posts:

People really oversell Lin's turnovers. Yeah he had 8 TOs tonight but about 5 of those weren't bad passes that bounced off the hands of his own player. He also still figuring his teammates out. Finally, I think he only had 2 turnover in the 2nd half.

Really, I understand the hate but people in a rush to take a shot at Lin are really overselling how "awful" he's been because of his turnover totals. I just went back and checked Chris Paul's last game. His line.

Paul - 16pts, 9 assts, 5 turnovers.

Paul is widely considered the best PG in the game and he's got years of NBA experience.

He will not have been properly scouted until he loses.
Win - wasn't properly scouted
Loss - Seeeee they finally know about him ! Hes done !

I don't understand the detractors. This is a dude who didn't get a single NCAA DI scholarship offer from any school. He went undrafted. He's been cut by several teams. This is only his 2nd year in the league, and his first getting major minutes, let alone starting. While all players dealt with a shortened training camp, he was not with the Knicks for their training camp at all. And you're criticizing him for not being perfect? Absolutely ridiculous hate for a guy who's had to fight through so much adversity. Lin is one of the best things to happen to the NBA in a while.

Man, if this is how jagu posts after Lin hits a cold-blooded gamewinner, I can only imagine what his posts will be like after the Knicks post a loss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake