Arizona Diamondbacks @ Cleveland Guardians series thread. 08/05/24-08/07/24

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hottest team in baseball, beating some of the best in the league, and all I read on here is complaining. Pretty wild to me. To each his own but pretty wild.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
regardless of the second game, we just took another series, right? man... this team has been really gutty this year with all the injuries they've been dealt and a bullpen that just stinks on ice.

Yep another series win, on the road against one of the best teams in baseball. Missing Gabby too.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's easy to get frustrated in the moment with the bullpen but this Cleveland team is absolutely loaded with hitters. They are going to get on base.
The questioning of Torey - decision by decision is really senseless though... As if Torey hadn't already done enough throughout his Dbacks career, this season is arguably his best and highest achievement. Given ALL of the injuries and a history-making sophomore slump from Carroll, he somehow has kept this team together and is actually winning. I'm a baseball guy... a true nerd of the game. IMHO, the job Torey has done thus far this season ranks among the very best coaching jobs in recent memory. Walker went down and now Gabby??? His star closer from last year is now a dud? Seriously???

He's not perfect... no manager is. But in terms of playing the hands he's been dealt, there isn't any better manager in the game today. None.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hottest team in baseball, beating some of the best in the league, and all I read on here is complaining. Pretty wild to me. To each his own but pretty wild.
Some of it is just parked venting because well that’s what we do on a message board.

But there are real concerns and always have been about Tori’s handling of the bullpen

It’s something that he just never has seem to have mastered

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marte is up to 29 home runs. I think he gets to 40. Should be the real MVP over a DH.

100%

I read an article yesterday from the national sports rider on their MVP race and he didn’t even have Martte in his top five of the National League.

I did email him of course I don’t expect to hear an answer back

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some of it is just parked venting because well that’s what we do on a message board.

But there are real concerns and always have been about Tori’s handling of the bullpen

It’s something that he just never has seem to have mastered
We are all probably a little pre-conditioned to complain based on our time on the Cardinals board lol!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not a baseball genius, but wouldn't it have made more sense not to send CC and just let Joc bunt anyway? Then we'd have guys on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs instead of end of the inning.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not watching but following on mlb.com. Did JOC seriously try to bunt?

So here is what I think happened.

Torey didn't want to pinch hit for Joc this early so he told him to bunt over Carroll and Marte with one out to put two guys in scoring position.

Carrol must have thought that is what was coming because he took off before the pitch was thrown and got hung up for a caught stealing.

And then Joc must not have understood it is now 2 outs and bunted anyway.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Torey didn't want to pinch hit for Joc this early so he told him to bunt over Carroll and Marte with one out to put two guys in scoring position.

Carrol must have thought that is what was coming because he took off before the pitch was thrown and got hung up for a caught stealing.

That makes more sense then it being an actual attempt to steal 3rd. Just bad timing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know why you would EVER have Joc bunt. Better chance of him hitting one out, or at least deep enough to advance the runners, even with a not ideal pitching matchup

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat