Arizona Diamondbacks @ SF Giants series thread. 09/03/24-09/05/24

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Ginkel was pretty much Stinkel tonight...lucky to get out alive. Also, why does Martinez need mound visits every single game, to get his head right? He can't be close to becoming a closer if he needs that much care after he comes into a game. He's at least 2 more years away from being a closer.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So you think giving up 9 runs in late innings in two games is fine
Not at all… but how would it be any different if we pitched those guys instead of Puk in the 7th or 8th?
Puk isn’t going to pitch more than an inning. We’ll have to use other guys, right?
When you play as many games as MLB teams play consecutively, you can’t rely on one guy to carry an entire pen… other guys have to carry their own water.
We have a pen filled with dudes who aren’t able to do that at present…

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
At least Lovullo moved Puk to the 8th tonight. Maybe next time we're in a save situation he can move Puk to the 9th. Lovullo is beyond stubborn - but thank goodness we didn't see Sewald's Folly tonight. Martinez may be a "closer in training" but he is no closer at this point. Too many control problems, too many head problems.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at all… but how would it be any different if we pitched those guys instead of Puk in the 7th or 8th?
Puk isn’t going to pitch more than an inning. We’ll have to use other guys, right?
When you play as many games as MLB teams play consecutively, you can’t rely on one guy to carry an entire pen… other guys have to carry their own water.
We have a pen filled with dudes who aren’t able to do that at present…
The pressure of being a closer can get to some people

Martinez is not a closer right now. He’s too wild and gets too excited.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The pressure of being a closer can get to some people

Martinez is not a closer right now. He’s too wild and gets too excited.
I don’t disagree at all.
But we know the only other possible solution is Puk.
And for now, I believe that Hazen, Torey and his staff have very sound, logical reasons as to why Pul hasn’t been tried in the closer role.
For all we know, Puk himself may have said something… feeling he may not be ready for that role. Who knows…

I will say that J-Mart has everything, literally everything you want in a closer. His stuff is electric.
Heard Hall on 98.7 this morning and he said both he and Ginkel have a tendency to pitch around the plate versus just go with their best stuff right from the start.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t disagree at all.
But we know the only other possible solution is Puk.
And for now, I believe that Hazen, Torey and his staff have very sound, logical reasons as to why Pul hasn’t been tried in the closer role.
For all we know, Puk himself may have said something… feeling he may not be ready for that role. Who knows…

I will say that J-Mart has everything, literally everything you want in a closer. His stuff is electric.
Heard Hall on 98.7 this morning and he said both he and Ginkel have a tendency to pitch around the plate versus just go with their best stuff right from the start.
Part of being closer or late inning reliever is the mental component

Right now, Martinez does not have that

As far as the last statement, I’ve noted that in my comments that are relievers come in and are not ready to pitch. They struggled and they settle down. That to me goes to coaching.

And if a player is not willing to listen to their coaches, then they shouldn’t be long for the team or the league.

Gallen is the exact same way he tries to nibble and be too cute to start the game and that’s why he has a high pitch count after the first couple innings and then he settles in and actually pitches

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Merrill needs to step up like Zac did. We know the bullpen will struggle. We'll probably even see Sewald's Folly today (perish the thought).

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As far as the last statement, I’ve noted that in my comments that are relievers come in and are not ready to pitch. They struggled and they settle down. That to me goes to coaching.

And if a player is not willing to listen to their coaches, then they shouldn’t be long for the team or the league.

Gallen is the exact same way he tries to nibble and be too cute to start the game and that’s why he has a high pitch count after the first couple innings and then he settles in and actually pitches
So...I could be wrong, but it seems you believe that any athlete talented enough to reach the big leagues, should either A.) Be good enough to come into a game, execute and achieve success... or, B.) Receive coaching assistance, take that assistance and use it in ways that produce success. No in-between... Is that right?

Because, as someone who played competitively collegiately and beyond, I can assure you that if A or B are what you believe, you are deeply misguided Jon.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gallon Martinez’s seawall Ginkel are all major-league pitchers with a lot of talent.

They have the stuff to be elite pitchers, but mentally they seem to be lacking at times

I don’t know if it’s coaching or what but to have multiple people on the staff that all seem to have the same mental block coming out of the gate is troubling

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good guys score 2 in the top of the inning

Somewhat disappointing since we had runners on second and third with no outs after already scoring a run.

the run was scored on a wild pitch so our offense failed to do their job

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the bright side, Blake Snell had to throw 43 pitches in the first so he won’t be in the game long probably

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser